HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:48 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Just for giggles, I clicked on the Ladybug copy for $45 WITH the transmitter. People were pretty happy with it, especially for the price. I then looked down at what the company had and there was a new Walkera brushless quad for $199. It sounded pretty nice too, but it required a Devo 7, 8 or 10 !! There was all kinds of info you could get if the transmitter had the capability of receiving it.
it's just plain silly all the multirotors that Walkera is coming out with! they are working in overdrive in the multirotor department right now. like they want to keep ahead of WLtoys. I wonder what Blade is working on in retaliation, it's starting to look like they're losing the technology race. when are they going to release a new model, maybe a big brother brushless quad?

brushless quad:
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=Hoten-X

(it seems like there is already a lot of speculation about this model, that for the price you can build a hobby grade quad. imo, with the impressive stability of the ladybird, I'd hold out on any preconceived judgments!)

scorpion tricopter:
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...pn=QR+SCORPION

wacky octocopter that can remove 4 rotors to become a ladybird. think of all the motors you'll get to replace!:
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...QR_SPACEWALKER

then again, I could have no idea what I'm talking about
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Last edited by flying toaster; Jul 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,996 Posts
If you look at how many people are actively on a certain forum, even with the Coax forum including the silly, cheap 3 channel heli's, the multi-rotor forum just blows anything else out of the water. Even the advertising banner above is loaded with multi-rotor stuff. A quad is like the ultimate heli. It out-performs a heli like crazy. It just needs to be brushless to get away from the brushed motor hassles.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
What's wrong with the free MS Movie Maker. Less is better
The current version is not as good as the XP version. They did the same thing everyone else did - added features that nobody uses, and mucked up the interface for the normal stuff that everybody uses. There is a way to install the XP version on Vista, but it's super-user kinda stuff to get it to work.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The current version is not as good as the XP version. They did the same thing everyone else did - added features that nobody uses, and mucked up the interface for the normal stuff that everybody uses. There is a way to install the XP version on Vista, but it's super-user kinda stuff to get it to work.
For what I want it does it in Windows 7 Home premium edition.
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
it's just plain silly all the multirotors that Walkera is coming out with! they are working in overdrive in the multirotor department right now. like they want to keep ahead of WLtoys. I wonder what Blade is working on in retaliation, it's starting to look like they're losing the technology race. when are they going to release a new model, maybe a big brother brushless quad?
Most of those Walkera multi-rotors ARE just plain silly. Seeing how many foolish uses you can find for one 3 axis gyro is not winning any technology war, it's "pissing in the soup". Few people are going to buy multi-rotors that have 6 or 8 brushed motors to take care of. Especially considering Walkera's reputation with brushed motors and the failure rate of the Ladybird motors. Their only brushless quad costs more than an MWC X250 and has none of the features.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post

brushless quad:
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=Hoten-X

(it seems like there is already a lot of speculation about this model, that for the price you can build a hobby grade quad. imo, with the impressive stability of the ladybird, I'd hold out on any preconceived judgments!)

scorpion tricopter:
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...pn=QR+SCORPION

wacky octocopter that can remove 4 rotors to become a ladybird. think of all the motors you'll get to replace!:
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...QR_SPACEWALKER

then again, I could have no idea what I'm talking about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Most of those Walkera multi-rotors ARE just plain silly. Seeing how many foolish uses you can find for one 3 axis gyro is not winning any technology war, it's "pissing in the soup". Few people are going to buy multi-rotors that have 6 or 8 brushed motors to take care of. Especially considering Walkera's reputation with brushed motors and the failure rate of the Ladybird motors. Their only brushless quad costs more than an MWC X250 and has none of the features.

Interesting stuff to be sure but anything Walkera does is mitigated by the fact you have to buy their overpriced transmitter!

For what they ask I need something to blow my socks off or at least throw in a Thai hooker!

Rikybob
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
thought I'd share a couple comparison pics of the different batteries I'm using.

I finally got my nano-tech's in the mail from HK. they were nicely packaged in a small box. I placed the order on 8th and they arrived today (26th), 18 days total, not too bad. tracking was hardly updated though and not very helpful, the last update was on the 18th saying package arrived in NY.

I must say the nano-tech's seemed to pack noticeably more punch than the hyperion 550's during my initial test flights, although I didn't want to push them too hard.

My new order of preference:

1) nano-tech 600's (paid ~$2.50 ea)
2) hyperion 550's (paid ~$7 ea)
3) lightning power 600's (I believe I paid about ~$15 for pack of 2)
4) stock (~$9.50 ea to replace, not that I would)

LP is 3rd even though they seem basically the same as the nano-tech's, because the connectors on them make the batteries much more difficult to unplug than the others for some reason. I also like that the hyperions are compact, they seem a tad smaller than stock even.

for people looking to buy I'd say go for the nano-tech's from HK if you can stand the wait! otherwise get the hyperions. the nano-tech's are almost one third the price of the competitors (you can get 4 for the price of 1 stock lol), and could very well offer the best performance too!
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Interesting stuff to be sure but anything Walkera does is mitigated by the fact you have to buy their overpriced transmitter!

For what they ask I need something to blow my socks off or at least throw in a Thai hooker!

Rikybob
Just the fact that I would have to have more than one transmitter turns me off to the Walkera stuff. I'll stick to stuff that I can fly with my Spektrum DX6i.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:23 AM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post

Rikybob
Totally agree.
I've got a bunch of Walkera TX's including a very capable 2801 pro that is good even for flying my gasser choppers, but if I want a Hoten it means paying for a crappy D7 at the least. By then the price comes in pretty much at what a ARTF 450 would cost that I could couple to my 2801.
If I wanted a comparable set up I'd have to buy a Devo 10 TX by which point I could bundle together an ARTF flamewheel with a Naza FC to fly with my 2801 and maybe have some change left over for GPS.

As far as beginners go, or people already with Devo, then the Hoten is a serious competitor to the mQX. It's more stable and flips better plus it's brushless, so it might just be worth the money to upgrade from the mQX, just not if it entails the extra cost of a usable Devo.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Where are guys buying your leds for making nav lights and what not?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Where are guys buying your leds for making nav lights and what not?
Radio Shack, Jameco, SuperBrightLEDs.com:

All About LEDs for RC Night Flying (23 min 52 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2010
114 Posts
My MQX got worse

My MQX got worse, and then better.

It decided that not only did it not want to spool up the front right rotor, but wanted to lose its bind to either of my transmitters.

HH said to take it to where I bought it, for evaluation.

I took it to my LHS (Model Flight in Adelaide), and Ian (nice bloke) agreed that it was probably the ESC, and swapped it for a new one.

The new one hovers

Now all I need to do is to set up the trim, and I'm off!

Thanks all for the advice.

Chris
ChrisLevo is offline Find More Posts by ChrisLevo
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:10 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLevo View Post
My MQX got worse, and then better.

It decided that not only did it not want to spool up the front right rotor, but wanted to lose its bind to either of my transmitters.

HH said to take it to where I bought it, for evaluation.

I took it to my LHS (Model Flight in Adelaide), and Ian (nice bloke) agreed that it was probably the ESC, and swapped it for a new one.

The new one hovers

Now all I need to do is to set up the trim, and I'm off!

Thanks all for the advice.

Chris
I flew mine outside tonight....landed in some dry grass....one of the white rotors would not spin up...arrrggghhh!

Took it inside for a close inspection....had a small piece of dried grass on the white gear causing it to bind up...clean the grass off of the gear and was back in the air again.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,806 Posts
Flight case for mQX

I think I found the perfect case for my Blade and the standard RTF controller.

With a bit of rearranging of the power supply I could fit my DX4e in there instead (no Idea why I didn't try that first ) or another larger Tx.

Outer dimensions are 45cm x 33cm x 16 cm. I got it from Maplin, I'm sure your LHS has something similar.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Had a near death experience last night on my mqx! death for ME not the mqx! lol. I was flying it out in front of my house and went up to try a flip and I flipped it to where it ended up coming down more then i thought and came right at my head! I ducked just in time to feel it buzz right over my head and fly by. somehow I never crashed it, but it was an inch from taking my head off! lol.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1