HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Can someone tell me if I can change the stock TX from mode 2 to mode 1?

I want to buy a rtf while I'm here in Europe but it seems I can only get one in mode 2.
MLP4DSM have mode switch inside, but you need unsolder both sticks and interchange them.

http://hajo.kessener.net/electronics...m-mode-2-to-1/
vlad_vy is offline Find More Posts by vlad_vy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
A warning about the manual: there a several figures of the mQx and its props in the manual and different figures have the same prop rotating in opposite directions: in other words, the manual is inconsistent as to what direction the props rotate.
There are just 2 configurations - 'x' and '+' mode. The motor and the prop rotations are exactly the same for both. The manual recommends changing the front-right prop to black merely for orientation purposes. The prop direction remains exactly the same.
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:31 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micros View Post
There are just 2 configurations - 'x' and '+' mode. The motor and the prop rotations are exactly the same for both. The manual recommends changing the front-right prop to black merely for orientation purposes. The prop direction remains exactly the same.
What I mean is that different figures in the manual showing the 'x' configuration show different prop rotations:
For example, the figures on page 3 (English version) and also on page 12 both show the mQx's front left corner having a clockwise propeller.
But the bottom figure on page 9 shows that same corner rotating in a counter clockwise direction. My actual mQx matches the directions given on page 9.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 21, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_vy View Post
MLP4DSM have mode switch inside, but you need unsolder both sticks and interchange them.

Great, thanks mate!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:51 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_vy View Post

Hmmm, just realised I have no access to soldering tools ect! Looks like I'm going to have to just learn mode 2, so hopefully the AS3X will make it a little easier!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. You're absolutely right. The same error is in the pdf version. Potentially very misleading. Have you told Blade about it?
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:58 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Got one flight on my new Mqx last night right before dark. barely a breeze out. Using a Dx6i. I dialed in about 30% expo but still seems really touchy. just barely move the sticks and it goes. flew pretty good overall but I had a couple light crashes. hit the pavement once and bent one of the props. Just bent it back in place and kept flying just fine. are there any special settings I need to dial into the Dx6i to get it flying at its best?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
827 Posts
UPDATE I made the trip to the LHS, picked up a Blade MQX BNF for $125.00 plus tax. He only had one extra Battery, so I got it. Came home charged up the Batteries, bound it to my DX7 and made all the settings. It was dark, went out in the back yard. After a few test hops, I proceeded to ring this little Buzz Saw out This is a must have Can't wait till tomorrow when I have Sun Light I ask the LHS owner if he had any spare parts, he said no Said that he had sold a ton of the MQX's and never had any request for parts Guys, Thanks for the Info you all provided

Bobby
Sixter is online now Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
How small can one make a 555 based circuit that beeps loudly at least once per second? How light can one make this circuit, so it won't kill the handling of an mQx? My second 'copter is in the trees somewhere and even though it's dark, I can't see the blue LED, although it's been three hours, so it could also be dead and gone. I should have thought about trying to spot it a couple of hours ago, but too late now.

I expect I'll be buying my third mQx in the coming weeks and perhaps hoping to find number two in the trees when winter causes the leaves to fall, but it's clear that I'm insane to be flying too high and in too many tree-lined areas. This time it got too high for the prevailing winds, although the new/used DX6i radio kept on talking. I brought it down within one property line. Unfortunately, this particular property has huge tall trees with charlie brown branches.

A google search comes up with a lot of beepers, but nothing too tiny and nothing really loud, as best as I can tell. Probably a tough combination.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
How small can one make a 555 based circuit that beeps loudly at least once per second? How light can one make this circuit, so it won't kill the handling of an mQx? My second 'copter is in the trees somewhere and even though it's dark, I can't see the blue LED, although it's been three hours, so it could also be dead and gone. I should have thought about trying to spot it a couple of hours ago, but too late now.

I expect I'll be buying my third mQx in the coming weeks and perhaps hoping to find number two in the trees when winter causes the leaves to fall, but it's clear that I'm insane to be flying too high and in too many tree-lined areas. This time it got too high for the prevailing winds, although the new/used DX6i radio kept on talking. I brought it down within one property line. Unfortunately, this particular property has huge tall trees with charlie brown branches.

A google search comes up with a lot of beepers, but nothing too tiny and nothing really loud, as best as I can tell. Probably a tough combination.
Fred,
Don't be discouraged. I lost one of my MQX's in a tree for 2 weeks, and finally got it back when a friend spotted it and climbed for it. Even after being out in the rain, it all still worked .. even the battery after a charge.

Good luck
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:10 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
If the mQx battery still has a charge, you may hear the props/motors when you turn on the throttle a bit.

Also, high winds may eventually blow it out of a tree: I had that happen once to a plane.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:29 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micros View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. You're absolutely right. The same error is in the pdf version. Potentially very misleading. Have you told Blade about it?
No problem. I have mentioned it on this thread before (which some Horizon Hobby people read), but I have not told Blade or Horizon Hobby directly.

LATER: Thanks for mentioning about telling Blade, etc.
I just sent a service inquiry to Horizon Hobby mentioning this problem in the mQx manual.
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 22, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,810 Posts
Quote:

.....>8

Instead of a beeper, what about a Loc8tor?
Range is 600ft (183m) and the tags weigh only 5g
If you removed the casing you'd probably shave another gram or two off.

Very useful on heavier, more expensive Quads too. http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/2-mini-homing-tags.html

Here's one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1PRNFey9uQw
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
I have researched those devices, using primarily Amazon reviews as a reference. The Loc8tor has as many good reviews as bad, but the bad ones seem valid. The price is a factor too, of course. The Lite version is almost as much as a BNF mqX. A simple beeper is likely to be inexpensive and fits my typical losses. Each time I've lost the mQx, it's been within a hundred feet of me and the first permanent loss went farther due to high winds, but I still would have been able to get within earshot.

I may have to go the Loc8tor route, but I'm not sure I'm going to spring for another mQx. I have a box full of MK OktoKopter parts waiting to be assembled, as well as a 5 mile range beacon system that's too heavy for the mQx, but will be a pittance to the MK. The complexity of the MK is overwhelming compared to the mQx and it might be a workhorse, but I'll bet it's not as nimble and as fun as the mQx in the same way.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,810 Posts
Quote:
I have researched those devices, using primarily Amazon reviews as a reference. The Loc8tor has as many good reviews as bad, but the bad ones seem valid. The price is a factor too, of course. The Lite version is almost as much as a BNF mqX. A simple beeper is likely to be inexpensive and fits my typical losses. Each time I've lost the mQx, it's been within a hundred feet of me and the first permanent loss went farther due to high winds, but I still would have been able to get within earshot.

I may have to go the Loc8tor route, but I'm not sure I'm going to spring for another mQx. I have a box full of MK OktoKopter parts waiting to be assembled, as well as a 5 mile range beacon system that's too heavy for the mQx, but will be a pittance to the MK. The complexity of the MK is overwhelming compared to the mQx and it might be a workhorse, but I'll bet it's not as nimble and as fun as the mQx in the same way.
Try a WLToys v929 Beetle if you lose them regularly . It's an MQx in all but name, and it does flips. I have both and I find since I got the Beetle, my MQx is still waiting for me to play with it again, but I've nicked all its batteries for the v929. And after I replaced the canopy with one like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696633 it looks better than the stock MQx canopy too.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)