HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:23 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
I decided to get some neon orange and jet white monokote trim sheets based on comments here on the forums. I'm sure many of you know about these, but for those who don't they are very thin colored sheets that I believe use heat activated adhesive to stick. I found that rubbing my thumb on the attached trim sheets to warm them a bit helped the tape stick really well on flat surfaces. the material seems to weigh almost nothing and I didn't notice any effect in performance. the neon orange in particular helped flying in my backyard in slightly overcast weather...

enjoy!

edit: already went back and improved the look hehe
Great work, it really looks fantastic!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Jul 18, 2012 update: The motors are now differentiated for rotation, but from Banggood's Beetle description and list of spare parts, and confirmed by erdnukel2, the Beetle's motor wires have the opposite color coding from the mQx: red/blue for a CW prop (CW when viewed from the top, also known as an A prop) and black/white for a CCW prop (B prop). See below for urls.
One question is whether somebody has actually bought and received such spare parts (many are marked as not available yet).

http://www.banggood.com/buy/v929/ind...0-0_page1.html
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...f-p-46172.html
Another site with v929 parts (parts for a mQx clone that may fit the mQx):
http://www.myrcmart.com/wl-toys-v929...2ahbdne1buuq53
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
Great work, it really looks fantastic!
I'm going to have to agree with you!

I'm glad that the theme I planned out in my head looks good in reality

it looks very mean hovering down low over the grass, like an exotic insect

Quote:
Another site with v929 parts (parts for a mQx clone that may fit the mQx):
http://www.myrcmart.com/wl-toys-v929...2ahbdne1buuq53
damn those prices are cheap lol

I would be very very interested if those booms worked fine on the mqx... $0.99! that's $1 without wiring vs $8 with stock wiring
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:

damn those prices are cheap lol

I would be very very interested if those booms worked fine on the mqx... $0.99! that's $1 without wiring vs $8 with stock wiring
I have read somewhere that another source of inexpensive booms is to cut a square 3mm CF tube down to length (though I find cutting CF to be pain, trying not to inhale the dust).
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:58 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
I have read somewhere that another source of inexpensive booms is to cut a square 3mm CF tube down to length (though I find cutting CF to be pain, trying not to inhale the dust).
I've read that somewhere too hehe.. I actually have some of the aluminum tubes from Lowes hardware that worked great in an indoor test flight (practically zero torsion to the booms!), but I decide to burn through the rest of my stock booms before switching over.

these would be so cheap though and ready to go (Lowes aluminum tubes need I be cut in two)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:33 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
...I would be very very interested if those booms worked fine on the mqx... $0.99! that's $1 without wiring vs $8 with stock wiring
Slight detail: $1 without wiring for 1 boom,
$8 with stock wiring for 2 booms.
But $1 versus $4 per boom is still a big difference.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:41 AM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
ah I just assumed it was a pack of two, that makes more sense. duh!

but yeah $1 vs $4 still ain't bad! that's a whole set of 4 booms for the cost of 1 from eflite
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
ah I just assumed it was a pack of two, that makes more sense. duh!

but yeah $1 vs $4 still ain't bad! that's a whole set of 4 booms for the cost of 1 from eflite
I looked at that site,, and it appears to me that you could build a complete Q from parts for around $35, except for one problem, the board. I did not read the details but I bet that board is not compatible to DSM2 or X.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
475 Posts
I decided an mqx would be a nice break from flying 3D airplanes and helis. I found the mqx to be lots of fun, and I was surprised at how easy basic aerobatics are:

Blade MQX Quad - Flips, Rolls and Loops (5 min 54 sec)
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I looked at that site,, and it appears to me that you could build a complete Q from parts for around $35, except for one problem, the board. I did not read the details but I bet that board is not compatible to DSM2 or X.
Rn
From what I have read, the board is compatible with a stock V911 Tx and a Turnigy 9X? Tx.
But there are some places on the web where you can buy an mQx board for about US$35. I am following a thread (over in the micro and indoors model forum) that combines an mQx board with Walkera Ladybird arms/motors/props, etc. (I bought these for about US$25) for a hybrid quad.

A warning on that US$35 in parts: that particular site has high shipping costs to the US (I just bought from them, mostly motors).
But there are sites where you can buy a complete BNF clone for about US$40 shipped. Then replace the clone's board with an mQx board.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
From what I have read, the board is compatible with a stock V911 Tx and a Turnigy 9X? Tx.
But there are some places on the web where you can buy an mQx board for about US$35. I am following a thread (over in the micro and indoors model forum) that combines an mQx board with Walkera Ladybird arms/motors/props, etc. (I bought these for about US$25) for a hybrid quad.

A warning on that US$35 in parts: that particular site has high shipping costs to the US (I just bought from them, mostly motors).
But there are sites where you can buy a complete BNF clone for about US$40 shipped. Then replace the clone's board with an mQx board.
Amazing.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
My mqx just got to the hobby shop!! Cant wait till 5!!
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
781 Posts
Hi Guys I am working 12 hour 6 day weeks, I need your advice. I don't have the free time to read this entire Thread. Tomorrow morning when I get off work I am driving 60 miles to the LHS to get my first Multirotor. The Blade mQX seems to be a good beginners choice. I am a very experienced RC Helicopter Pilot. What do I need besides the Blade mQX? I have a SPEKTRUM DX7 Transmitter and tons of Electric RC equipment, both Helicopter and Airplane stuff. I also have a few of the HD Key Chain Camera's. I know I will need extra Batteries, are the stock one's ok? What parts will I need in case of a crash? I like the Orange Props, they look good on the front. I am also going to order the MQX Fighter Canopy from Sparks. I am sure by using my DX7, there will be an advantage in flight control over the included Transmitter. I plan on getting the BNF or what ever they have in stock. Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks
Bobby
Sixter is online now Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
My mqx just got to the hobby shop!! Cant wait till 5!!
WELL?????? You having fun?????
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter View Post
Hi Guys I am working 12 hour 6 day weeks, I need your advice. I don't have the free time to read this entire Thread. Tomorrow morning when I get off work I am driving 60 miles to the LHS to get my first Multirotor. The Blade mQX seems to be a good beginners choice. I am a very experienced RC Helicopter Pilot. What do I need besides the Blade mQX? I have a SPEKTRUM DX7 Transmitter and tons of Electric RC equipment, both Helicopter and Airplane stuff. I also have a few of the HD Key Chain Camera's. I know I will need extra Batteries, are the stock one's ok? What parts will I need in case of a crash? I like the Orange Props, they look good on the front. I am also going to order the MQX Fighter Canopy from Sparks. I am sure by using my DX7, there will be an advantage in flight control over the included Transmitter. I plan on getting the BNF or what ever they have in stock. Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks
Bobby
I would say buy the BNF and just a few extra battery's and thats it...Fly it have fun you will be surprised how friendly it is if you trim it out and set the expos low to start she is a dream to fly and can take a hell of a beating....Good luck and have fun
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919