HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:29 AM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
965 Posts
Had a hawk dive for my Solo Pro 260A, just missing it.
RaymondM is offline Find More Posts by RaymondM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
couldn't help myself
love it...
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:38 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
it was definitely my first encounter with a bird of prey lol

I do have a regular group of visitors at my park during the daytime though. usually a hummingbird comes over follows me around for a little while, also when I fly up high I usually become encircled by this group of smaller sized birds. my most common visitor however is this large black bug that is almost always right on my tail. I see it when I fly closer, but it appears to be following the mqx around the entire time. today a couple pigeons flew by and I saw one of them craning it's neck looking over lol
It's interesting the reaction of all of the flying creatures to the MQX, I haven't had mine outside much yet but nothing has followed mine yet. Do they do it to any regular helis? They all seem so curious to the new flying nieghbor sharing their airspace...lol
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:39 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Had a hawk dive for my Solo Pro 260A, just missing it.
Just saw this, that's wild!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
What options are out there for leds? I know spit is closed for a bit but I am looking to get something else going for now.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Just saw this, that's wild!
Not to mention a hummingbird, swallows and an enraged dragonfly that actually hit it, wild indeed.
RaymondM is offline Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck009 View Post
I agree - the mQX seems fragile but because it's so light it seems to not sustain too much damage on crashes.

I've had mine about 2 months and few crashes but so far nothing broken - I know that will change

Can't say the same for my helis or planes, they have had various repairs.

Starting a build on a DVI F450 quad shortly and looking forward to it.
This bird is TOUGH!!! I've had dozens of tumbling crashes from all altitudes that would've resulted in scattered parts broken off of the 120SR. So far with the mQX, I've merely had to shove dislodged motors back into position so the cogs would re-engage.

I think it's a forgiving surface to mass ratio. The mQX sort of tumbles to earth as opposed to drilling a smoking hole in the ground (a Wile E. Coyote variation on "augering in," the test pilot term Tom Wolfe told us about in The Right Stuff).

I've also crashed and folded two black rotor blades over on themselves. Recovering the wounded bird, I simply folded the blades back flat, leaving a slight white crease mark where the folds had been, and it flew fine. So I haven't even dipped into the bag of spares that came with the helo yet!
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Last edited by teflon97239; Jul 16, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:37 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
This bird is TOUGH!!! I've had dozens of tumbling crashes from all altitudes that would've resulted in scattered parts broken off of the 120SR. So far with the mQX, I've merely had to shove dislodged motors back into position so the cogs would re-engage.
One thing I have found about dislodging motors: when I do it often enough, it seems to stress out the wires on the motor and breaks them. But the plastic insulation on the motor wires stays intact, so the wire looks unbroken, plus the 2 broken ends inside the insulation sometimes touch, so the motor seems to work sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
I've also crashed and folded two black rotor blades over on themselves. Recovering the wounded bird, I simply folded the blades back flat, leaving a slight white crease mark where the folds had been, and it flew fine. ...
On other plastic props, I find that applying heat (I used a Monokote trim iron, but hot water may also work) to the crease marks would both de-stress that area (so that repeated bending is less likely to break it) and also make the white crease mark tende to go away.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 16, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
love it...
thank you... I am new to the rc heli world and appreciate comments like these!

Quote:
It's interesting the reaction of all of the flying creatures to the MQX, I haven't had mine outside much yet but nothing has followed mine yet. Do they do it to any regular helis? They all seem so curious to the new flying nieghbor sharing their airspace...lol
the park I've been flying at is not being used by any other rc aircraft I know of, so I wouldn't be surprised if a regular heli caused the same reaction. for many of these animals it could be the first interaction with a rc of any type..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had some time today to mess around and take some pics with my iphone... the flying shots were taken with one hand holding the stick and one hand holding the phone, so I couldn't really focus on the mqx

I removed the electrical tape from the skids for now... gonna try some monokote trim sheets and also do the motor covers

I took a pic of the underbelly in the dark to show how the additional blue LED illuminates nicely against the Frank Lachmund canopy (Frank painted it white).

I snapped a bunch of pics, enjoy
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,307 Posts
Still practicing with my MQX this sure is a lot of fun.....

A little bit of a bumpy ride on the way down i guess its the prop wash or something...

Blade MQX and 808 #16 micro camera (1 min 44 sec)
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:

the park I've been flying at is not being used by any other rc aircraft I know of, so I wouldn't be surprised if a regular heli caused the same reaction. for many of these animals it could be the first interaction with a rc of any type..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had some time today to mess around and take some pics with my iphone... the flying shots were taken with one hand holding the stick and one hand holding the phone, so I couldn't really focus on the mqx

I removed the electrical tape from the skids for now... gonna try some monokote trim sheets and also do the motor covers

I took a pic of the underbelly in the dark to show how the additional blue LED illuminates nicely against the Frank Lachmund canopy (Frank painted it white).

that canopy is spectacular! did you make it? I'd love to get one, very nice!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:

That canopy is awesome! Did you make it? I made a similar one out of yellow 2mm foam but yours is just beautiful, I'd love one like that for mine! the LED's look fantastic too!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:30 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Think i am going to get one of these. Sounds fun.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
That canopy is awesome! Did you make it? I made a similar one out of yellow 2mm foam but yours is just beautiful, I'd love one like that for mine! the LED's look fantastic too!
He mentions the canopy's maker in his post, it is a very nice made one in Germany and last I saw it was selling for $35 plus shipping.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
thanks!

Thetis is correct, the canopy is made by Frank Lachmund in Germany. http://www.franklachmund.de/ it is a TDR style canopy that he offers in many different color combinations.

a member here on rcgroups named Topper (goes by "new bee") is located in the US and imports them from Frank. he may have some in stock so shoot him a pm!
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster