SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Check if the prop is the right one. I had this happen to me when I accidentally put a ccw prop on when it should have been cw
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:48 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micros View Post
Check if the prop is the right one. I had this happen to me when I accidentally put a ccw prop on when it should have been cw
You can see from the video that the props are on correctly.

If the motors are correct and plugged in the right way round (A CCW will become a CW if plugged in backwards) it could be the weight difference and/or unequal boom length.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
I am pretty sure I made a couple more 'believers' in my neighborhood this evening

attempted a couple backflips in the dark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVQcr2GaQnw
That looks brilliant. But now the seller has stopped selling kits - due to other commitments - until October!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post

If the motors are correct and plugged in the right way round (A CCW will become a CW if plugged in backwards) it could be the weight difference and/or unequal boom length.
Looking at the video you're right, it is on the right way round, but rotating in the wrong direction. It should be CW, but in the video it rotates CCW
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:08 AM
Underwater Helicopter Badge
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2011
125 Posts
Quote:
The big outcome from this will be it bringing more people to the multicopter side of RC. People will want to move up after getting their feet wet with this.
The same could be said of the AR Drone, albeit more expensive. But its a big jump from flying a RTF model to configuring any of the more sophisticated modular systems.
John141 is offline Find More Posts by John141
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Or, it will open a market for larger RTF/BNF/PNP solutions. See hk turnigy pnp quad, or whatever they're trying to do in china. There even could be a progression by horizon as per MCPX > 130X, in releasing a larger drone in the future. Walkera is already there: see MX400.
The Parrot A.R. Drone was marketed in a different way; more as an expensive gadget for iPhone users, rather than an actual hobby grade quad. The MQX is just the opposite: a total fun machine, yet a real RC hobby item.
Darsh is online now Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Or, it will open a market for larger RTF/BNF/PNP solutions. See hk turnigy pnp quad, or whatever they're trying to do in china. There even could be a progression by horizon as per MCPX > 130X, in releasing a larger drone in the future. Walkera is already there: see MX400.
The Parrot A.R. Drone was marketed in a different way; more as an expensive gadget for iPhone users, rather than an actual hobby grade quad. The MQX is just the opposite: a total fun machine, yet a real RC hobby item.
A bit of everything helps. I bought a 2nd hand Xaircraft X450 RTF and it was a bit of a handful for my first Quad. So I got an Ar.Drone and learnt some transferable skills while the ultrasonics kept it in the air. That gave me the confidence to buy a Blade and chuck it about, which in turn means I know more about what to expect from the X450 (at 12 times the weight). I'm selling the Drone now though: it's fairly boring after a while.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by micros View Post
Looking at the video you're right, it is on the right way round, but rotating in the wrong direction. It should be CW, but in the video it rotates CCW
you guys are right, the props are all facing the correct way, but the starboard side front prop is spinning CCW instead of CW. here's the strange part though: the wire plugs for that prop are both plugged in correctly (green paint matching up on both connectors), even though it spins the wrong way! I went ahead and changed the plug on the board so the green paint no longer matches up, and it spins CW now! I am so confused! it's the correct motor too, as all the other motors are plugged in correctly and spinning the correct way. i was able to fly around after reversing the plug.

now I am even more confused. what could be going on here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Beerassassin,
have you checked the alu beams weight against the CF tubes? I suspect they are far heavier, thus requiring you to replace all booms (even the sane one) to keep it balanced. Just my 2 cents
I wish I had a scale to compare the weights to know for sure, but the aluminum tubes 'feel' about the same weight. even though they are aluminum, they are more hollowed out than the cf booms and cut shorter, so total weight could be very similar. I made sure the lengths of the booms installed in the frame/landing skid are within 1mm of the cf boom installed. a quick test flight and it actually flies just fine with the 3 aluminum and 1 cf boom, so I believe they may be interchangeable after all... they also feel more solid and flex less than the cf boom that has no cracks...

Quote:
That looks brilliant. But now the seller has stopped selling kits - due to other commitments - until October!
I am glad I found that guy before he went on hiatus! in another thread he says the mqx kits are now his most popular selling.
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
you guys are right, the props are all facing the correct way, but the starboard side front prop is spinning CCW instead of CW. here's the strange part though: the wire plugs for that prop are both plugged in correctly (green paint matching up on both connectors), even though it spins the wrong way! I went ahead and changed the plug on the board so the green paint no longer matches up, and it spins CW now! I am so confused! it's the correct motor too, as all the other motors are plugged in correctly and spinning the correct way. i was able to fly around after reversing the plug.

now I am even more confused. what could be going on here??
This is just a wild guess, but consider that one end of the connector was swapped for the other when you ran the wiring outside the booms? It makes no sense, but neither does what you've just experienced. Perhaps the matching colors are "end sensitive".
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
I wish I had a scale to compare the weights to know for sure, but the aluminum tubes 'feel' about the same weight. even though they are aluminum, they are more hollowed out than the cf booms and cut shorter, so total weight could be very similar.
OK, I'm sold. Do you have a direct link for these? I started reading that other thread, but didn't find a link to 'Lowes'.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
This is just a wild guess, but consider that one end of the connector was swapped for the other when you ran the wiring outside the booms? It makes no sense, but neither does what you've just experienced. Perhaps the matching colors are "end sensitive".
I am still confused hehe

perhaps I switched a set of wires when doing the install... but that still wouldn't make sense since all the others work fine. I made some effort to keep the parts for each boom separate...
Quote:
OK, I'm sold. Do you have a direct link for these? I started reading that other thread, but didn't find a link to 'Lowes'.
I'm having trouble posting a direct link because it has my local store associated with the link... but if you go to www.lowes.com and search for item number 364235 it should take you there. description is: The Hillman Group 1/8" OD x 6" x .014" Aluminum Square Tube. you can search local stores and see which ones have it in stock and how many, which is nice.

here's a pic of package:
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
I'm having trouble posting a direct link because it has my local store associated with the link... but if you go to www.lowes.com and search for item number 364235 it should take you there. description is: The Hillman Group 1/8" OD x 6" x .014" Aluminum Square Tube. you can search local stores and see which ones have it in stock and how many, which is nice.

here's a pic of package:
Thanks for the listing. One thing that I have found about the lowes web-site: it does not seem to list many items that I can actually find at my nearby lowes store. Two guesses: some things are just sold at certain stores and/or the web site is not really kept up to date.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:27 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Thanks for the listing. One thing that I have found about the lowes web-site: it does not seem to list many items that I can actually find at my nearby lowes store. Two guesses: some things are just sold at certain stores and/or the web site is not really kept up to date.
no prob. this was my first time using the site, they listed 4 sets at my nearest store and sure enough I saw 4 sets in the drawer. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt totally accurate though. there also appears to be an option to buy online for local pickup, so if your store didn't have them in stock you would prob only have to wait a few days.

also, one more thing worth noting from my experience for ppl interested in trying this: once you force the aluminum tubes in the mounting frame, they are stuck in there good. the only way I could get enough grip to pull one out was by damaging the tube gripping it with a wrench lol. on the flip side, the setup feels solid as a rock, there is almost no flex. once the aluminum tube is out, the cf booms will no longer fit in the frame without sliding around, as the frame has been permanently widened (I'm sure you could insert a dirty joke here). you would need to put a little piece of packing tape or something on a cf boom to get it to fit snugly in the frame again. none of this is the case with the landing skid end, only the mounting frame

this is just from my experience, other experiences may vary
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
FYI - Went to my local Lowes looking for these as well as some nylon hardware for the quad I am building. The nylon hardware was so limitted I didn't find waht I was looking for ... and they had no hobby section where these aluminum tubes would be, so I was pretty dissapointed. I'll order some online because I really wanna try them.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:15 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
also, one more thing worth noting from my experience for ppl interested in trying this: once you force the aluminum tubes in the mounting frame, they are stuck in there good. the only way I could get enough grip to pull one out was by damaging the tube gripping it with a wrench lol. on the flip side, the setup feels solid as a rock, there is almost no flex. once the aluminum tube is out, the cf booms will no longer fit in the frame without sliding around, as the frame has been permanently widened (I'm sure you could insert a dirty joke here). you would need to put a little piece of packing tape or something on a cf boom to get it to fit snugly in the frame again. none of this is the case with the landing skid end, only the mounting frame
Possible cause: the frame is not flexible, and the aluminum tubes (1/8" = 0.125" across) are slightly wider
than the original square CF booms (3mm = 0.118" across).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama