RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:50 AM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2010
697 Posts
Nice video! Specifically the landing...was very stable...

I keep forgeting that the throtle stick also controls the elevator on a Quad... My hands keep hitting the right stick...like on a plane...to reduce altitude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Here's a clip I shot this evening with the #16 cam mounted under the belly. Just some slow flying around my north yard & backyard. I've flown with my old #3 cam a few times, but this is the first time I've flown with the #16. I did notice that it's a bit easier to get into vortex ring state with the heavier cam. I balanced the props, but there's still a bit of harmonic vibration. Be sure to watch in 720p.

What do y'all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTysDq2mfc

Joel
IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
Impailer,

Thanks! I really love it here. I finally got out of the 'burbs! I just bought the place about 1.5 years ago. I wanted enough space for my ham radio antennas and for flying smaller RC stuff. I also wanted a good nature view. I have four acres of woods & two acres of lawn. Mowing isn't so bad. I can mow the entire two acres in about 1.75 hours with my 50" Dixon ZTR. The Dixon is so maneuverable that I can do all of the trimming with a weed-wacker in about 15 minutes. When I was a kid, it took me nearly an hour just to mow our 0.2-acre lawn with a 21" walk-behind - thanks to all of the trees.

FlyingMcCoy,

I have over 35 hours of flight-time on my mQX. Mostly aggressive FFF, aerobatics, and carrying payloads. I use Hyp 550s, and I usually fly long flights - nearly always to the 80% discharge point. The original motors are still going strong.

IndiaHobby,

Thanks! With fixed-wing and rotorcraft, I believe that takeoffs & landings make up two-thirds of the flight.

Regarding throttle vs. elevator - I've always used the elevator as the primary speed-control & throttle as the primary altitude-control when flying fixed-wing RC (as I was taught when I learned to fly full-scale planes), so it pretty much came natural to me when I decided to teach myself to fly RC helis a few years ago.

I wish the mQX would have been available when I was learning to fly helis. I would have progressed so much more quickly!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I wish the mQX would have been available when I was learning to fly helis. I would have progressed so much more quickly!

Joel
I wish the mQx was around when I started RC flying about 5 years ago.
I wanted to be able to do loops, flips, rolls, etc., fly in a small backyard, survive crashes and as I found out later: deal with the wind.
I tried micro heli's first, but still have a hard time controlling them.
I then started flying small slow airplanes: they could kind of fit flying in a small yard, but flying in a small yard (flying slow) and handling wind (flying fast) are a bit hard to reconcile.

Finally, with an mQx, I can do this. The 3 axis gyros made controlling easier and wind handling easier. I do need a lot of altitude to handle the 10 to 30 ft. drops I get from flips/rolls, but the gyros let me fly at higher altitudes without drifting as much or getting pushed by the wind as much. I also do need the height to be able to see the small mQx: much more visible with a sky or cloud background than a house or tree background.
For crashing: the worse so far has been bent props (bend back with heat). I do mostly crash on grass/dirt and tend to fly high enough to give me time to throttle off before impact (no throttle hold switch).

One bad thing so far: indoors is fine, but outdoors, the mQx seems to be harder to control (aileron and elevator) late in the day. It is somwhat harder to see then, but even when I can see it fine, it is harder to control. My only guess is that the temperature is dropping, and the gyros are getting affected.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
twenty-four hour battery death?

My (second) mQx vanished yesterday. I think I need to change the RTF radio batteries, as it was lower than a hundred feet high and fewer than two properties away when it went into loss-of-signal mode and dropped out of the sky.

It's nearly impossible to see these tiny aircraft from the ground. I thought that from the observed descent rate, it would have punched a hole through the trees and been waiting for me, but the "empty" lot in which it crashed is a tree-filled lot with plenty of vines and tree branches.

After climbing through the debris field for a half hour or more yesterday, I resigned myself to another lost 'copter. This morning after driving into the neighborhood, I spotted it about twenty-five feet in the air, snagged on vines and branches.

I purchased this:

from here:

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...e&sku=ZMF-1910

for a bit more than eighty dollars. My original intent was to have a retrieval device for my as-yet-to-be-built MK Oktokopter XL, but when a tree attacks, one must be prepared.

It's less than 4 feet collapsed, weighs less than 3.5 pounds and extends to 33 feet overall. The tip is as tiny as a fishing pole end, while the operator grip portion is almost 2" in diameter, thicker than a baseball bat. Pretty impressive and simple gadget.

The mQx looks none the worse for spending the night in a tree with a bit of light rain yesterday and today, less than 0.01 inches both times. I was able to work it downward through the three or four levels of branches, snagging in each level, of course. The final fall was more gentle than some of my landings!

The battery may be completely shot. When I connected it to my intelligent charger, I got a Low Voltage alert and that was it. Is the battery a tosser or is there a way to bring it back to life? I figure it's not particularly expensive and if there's even a small chance that it's worthless, I'll remove it from the flight category. If I can charge it and use it for non-flight-critical applications, how would that be accomplished?
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Fred,

I feel your pain. I also lost one of my MQX's up in a tree. It stayed there for 2 weeks until a younger friend of mine decided to climb halfway up the tree with a 20' pole as was finally able to knock it out. Everything still worked fine, even after a few days of rain.

I really like that telescoping pole idea. I may have to get one, although I am MUCH more wary of flying near trees now.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Since this is my second loss, I have to think I'm getting less smart as time passes. The first loss was caused by getting too high and this one was caused by getting two high. If I ever get the MK in the air, I'm going to fly recon over the area of the first loss and hope I can snap a number of hi-res photos to locate the first one. If only for parts and for the exercise...

I'm glad you got yours back. This most recent purchase resulted in a smoother flying 'copter, since it's not had as many crashes, so there's some (expensive) benefit to be had.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,668 Posts
Fred,

Sorry to hear about that! Glad that you got her down in one piece. I also have a telescopic 'UM aircraft retriever'. It has paid for itself a few times over!

Regarding the battery - get it out of your house immediately & follow the standard LiPo safe disposal steps. Fully-discharging a LiPo kills it immediately, and the cell may become unstable & spontaneously ignite. Regularly discharging LiPos beyond 80% will kill them in a short period of time. Discharging a LiPo to 90% or more even once will cause immediate & permanent damage to the cell. There is no safe, reliable method of recovering a LiPo that has been fully depleted.

Regarding the transmitter - the low-power RTF tx is already severely range-limited, even with fresh batteries. It's only rated for a few hundred feet as it is. Low batteries reduces range even further.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
I think what I've learned is to know when to quit when it gets too windy ..

I have found that once the CF arms start to split and can twist a bit the MQX really starts to feel loser. I have two and have already replaced several arms between the two of them. It seems to make a big difference to me anyway.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
My (second) mQx vanished yesterday. I think I need to change the RTF radio batteries, as it was lower than a hundred feet high and fewer than two properties away when it went into loss-of-signal mode and dropped out of the sky.

It's nearly impossible to see these tiny aircraft from the ground. I thought that from the observed descent rate, it would have punched a hole through the trees and been waiting for me, but the "empty" lot in which it crashed is a tree-filled lot with plenty of vines and tree branches.

After climbing through the debris field for a half hour or more yesterday, I resigned myself to another lost 'copter. This morning after driving into the neighborhood, I spotted it about twenty-five feet in the air, snagged on vines and branches.

I purchased this:

from here:

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...e&sku=ZMF-1910

for a bit more than eighty dollars. My original intent was to have a retrieval device for my as-yet-to-be-built MK Oktokopter XL, but when a tree attacks, one must be prepared.

It's less than 4 feet collapsed, weighs less than 3.5 pounds and extends to 33 feet overall. The tip is as tiny as a fishing pole end, while the operator grip portion is almost 2" in diameter, thicker than a baseball bat. Pretty impressive and simple gadget.

The mQx looks none the worse for spending the night in a tree with a bit of light rain yesterday and today, less than 0.01 inches both times. I was able to work it downward through the three or four levels of branches, snagging in each level, of course. The final fall was more gentle than some of my landings!

The battery may be completely shot. When I connected it to my intelligent charger, I got a Low Voltage alert and that was it. Is the battery a tosser or is there a way to bring it back to life? I figure it's not particularly expensive and if there's even a small chance that it's worthless, I'll remove it from the flight category. If I can charge it and use it for non-flight-critical applications, how would that be accomplished?
I bought one of those some time ago and I got my money back in about 2 weeks retrieving a couple of fixed wing 3D planes that apparently had unseen tree magnets in them. Before that I was using two 10' pieces of 1/2 conduit taped together and that worked but was really unwieldy. I ended up on a 10' ladder with the 20' conduit contraption one time and it got pretty scarey so I bought the collapsing pole. Get one for yourself or if you fly with several other guys go in together and buy a "community" one that you can share. If you fly within 100' of a tree it will be just a matter of time before you need a pole and one use will get your money back!
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
thanks for the alert. The battery measured at 2.05v, and is slightly bloated, so it's now resting comfortably outside in a hot tub constructed of a margarine container. I've added some sodium chloride to provide a more comfortable resting environment, perhaps to improve the skin tone of the battery. I'll check voltage periodically and when it's gone, gone, gone, I'll dispose of it properly.

I suppose an investment in a decent radio would be a good idea. My Graupner HoTT won't work with this device. Any suggestions on a very-low-end radio for the mQx? Even an eBay used one would be okay if I knew what to seek.

And to think, I almost purchased a Gaui to replace the mQx until I get the MK started/finished!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:57 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,941 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the alert. The battery measured at 2.05v, and is slightly bloated, so it's now resting comfortably outside in a hot tub constructed of a margarine container. I've added some sodium chloride to provide a more comfortable resting environment, perhaps to improve the skin tone of the battery. I'll check voltage periodically and when it's gone, gone, gone, I'll dispose of it properly.
That lipo is not worth keeping. The salt won't do anything. Do a search of RC groups for the many long threads on the subject.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
I thought from the reading that having the battery in a salt bath creates a short. I clipped the leads from the battery too short to make a good connection to perform a wired short, so I'm figuring the salt water makes it work any way. I didn't see anything opposing a salt bath for that purpose, but really, once I found something easy and unmonitored, I stopped looking.

The battery is no longer slightly bloated. It's severely bloated.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:12 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
I think what I've learned is to know when to quit when it gets too windy ..
I find that when I fly in the wind, my mQx may start getting too weak to fight the wind even before a Hyperion 550mAh battery gets half way drained.
I have also had to purposely zero throttle to crash it to keep it from drifting too far.

One nice thing about flying near the house: some house gear that can double as aircraft retrieval tools: a 10 foot step ladder and a 20 foot long roof rake (5 foot long sections).

One question: any guesses as to why my mQx gets hard to control outdoors (aileron and elevator tend to overreact/over-control) at the end of day? This is true even when it is close to me and I can see it fine. Indoors it seems fine, and outdoors in the afternoon it (usually) seems fine.
Last edited by flying-llama; Jun 22, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
... Any suggestions on a very-low-end radio for the mQx? Even an eBay used one would be okay if I knew what to seek.
I believe that the Dx5e is supposed to be full range.