SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
I did a quick test by pushing the white gear down out of the way so the prop could spin freely like others have suggested here to balance the whole assembly. one blade dropped to the bottom just like in the vid...
Just add a bit of tape. Sanding is the proverbial sledgehammer on such small props.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Just add a bit of tape. Sanding is the proverbial sledgehammer on such small props.
ahh gotcha
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
I took my mQx out a couple nights ago, nice light 0-3 mph winds for some circuit flying and head-in practice in my front yard and street. While hovering above the front lawn, I had a visitor appear, dart around the 'copter a few times and zip away. For a total of four visits, the hummingbird flew formation with me in hover before he vanished. Sadly, no video, since my flying is usually unremarkable, but that night was amazing!
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
I had a big hawk swoop down and try to grab the MQX as I flew it in my backyard once . It landed in a tree in my neighbor's yard and watched me flying for almost 15 minutes. I tried to coax it out by flying within 6 feet of where it was, but it just watched. When my lipos were dead and the MQX was grounded, it took off.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Holy smokes, batman! I suppose it's lucky for you that the bird decided it wasn't a tasty snack. We have hawks and eagles in this area and I had an eagle land with lunch in our back yard. My wife spooked it a bit and it flew away with its kitty snack in talons, leaving behind tufts of hair. I'd hate to see pieces of mQx at the base of a tree!
Last edited by fred_dot_u; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: removal of inappropriate apostrophe
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Oh man! A "kitty snack"? My wife would freak.

I wonder if an eagle would go after a flying cat like the Orville-Copter posted earlier in this thread.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
If I ever finish my MK Okto XL, I'll have to consider a flying squirrel costume for it. I probably should arm the copter with some form of protective weaponry before flying it around raptors.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Don't forget to check tracking (the height of one blade vs. the other) too. After a crash, the blades can get bent, but this can be easily fixed by just bending them back into position.
This has happened to me.
I find that adding heat (I use a trim cover iron for Monokote, etc., but I remember using hot water on plastic frames of glasses)
makes it easier to bend and more importantly let one bend repeatedly without breaking (I did this to a GWS slow-fly prop many many times).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
I decided to try the sanding method anyways and I am quite happy with the results!

I used 600 grit sandpaper that I cut into tiny pieces. it took a decent amount of sanding and checking before the blades leveled out, so it was easy to get a nice balance without ever having to go back and forth between sides. it required a decent amount of pressure, and a fine white powder would appear. since the markings are so fine it’s not really noticeable aesthetically, and I like the idea of reducing weight on the blades rather than adding. took me about an hour total, so it takes a bit longer than adding tape I'm guessing.

as noted earlier, I noticed the heavy blade was always the one with the A/B letter on it (although I still checked each one), which made it easy to know what side to work on without marking the blade

I attached a pic I took after doing two blades, so you can see how much material came off. I went back and sanded the orange blade a bit more after I took the pic
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
I decided to try the sanding method anyways and I am quite happy with the results!

I used 600 grit sandpaper that I cut into tiny pieces. it took a decent amount of sanding and checking before the blades leveled out, so it was easy to get a nice balance without ever having to go back and forth between sides. it required a decent amount of pressure, and a fine white powder would appear. since the markings are so fine it’s not really noticeable aesthetically, and I like the idea of reducing weight on the blades rather than adding. took me about an hour total, so it takes a bit longer than adding tape I'm guessing.

as noted earlier, I noticed the heavy blade was always the one with the A/B letter on it (although I still checked each one), which made it easy to know what side to work on without marking the blade

I attached a pic I took after doing two blades, so you can see how much material came off. I went back and sanded the orange blade a bit more after I took the pic
Congratulations, you saved 0.002g and it only took an hour of your life.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations, you saved 0.002g and it only took an hour of your life.
I pride myself on attention to detail, it has served me well in life.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:46 AM
Capt. Dennis
Sweden, Västerås
Joined Jan 2004
243 Posts
yesterday I filmed over our rc-shortcourse track.. and crasched in to a banked curve......and ofcause a 2wd Slash came and run me over. haha

but the mQX took the beating and flew away.

had my mini-cam on, so it´s on tape.

20120618HallonmQX (5 min 34 sec)

need to buy new blades soon, and my canpoy is starting to get some war damage
lovley thing to fly, even my wife wants one...
ReasonSwe is online now Find More Posts by ReasonSwe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
Battlebots!
vanzant is offline Find More Posts by vanzant
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,800 Posts
On-board video

Here's a clip I shot this evening with the #16 cam mounted under the belly. Just some slow flying around my north yard & backyard. I've flown with my old #3 cam a few times, but this is the first time I've flown with the #16. I did notice that it's a bit easier to get into vortex ring state with the heavier cam. I balanced the props, but there's still a bit of harmonic vibration. Be sure to watch in 720p.

What do y'all think?

Eflite mQX on-board video - 808 #16 cam (4 min 55 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

What do y'all think?

Joel
I think I am jealous of your backyard, but I am glad I don't have to mow it......
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer