HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
As far as I know:

if it has a "RoHS" marking (and it seems most electronics boards do these days), then lead-free solder was used to put it together.
Lead-free solder and leaded solder (like 60/40 rosin-core solder) are supposed to make an unusable mess when mixed, so it is best to use lead-free solder when dealing with an "RoHS" board (I have both types of solder).
From experience, I believe this is correct. In fact, you'd be best off not even using the same soldering iron that has been tinned with the leaded solder, when working lead-free solder joints.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2009
68 Posts
I've added a white led under the canopy (attached to the main frame)
this thing is sooo bright

Blade MQX at Night (1 min 38 sec)
exita is offline Find More Posts by exita
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Is this of any interest to anyone?

Cable-tie feet extenders are good for softening landings and also allow 'driving' along hard floors, with minimal friction.
Great idea actually.
Also, I'll be sure to check out your camera mount.

Here's some pics of mine.
It looks like it's having as much fun as I have flying it.

It's modded a bit with extended, solid struts and an alternative battery mount.
Work in progress, though, as I want to redo the battery mount and the whole wiring with proper silicone leads and I don't like the straws covering the struts anymore and look for a more elegant solution. LEDs are a must, too, of course.
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Still wondering what those outputs are REALLY for. Maybe there is a hidden programming step that changs the flash sequence??

Paul
My guess is that those were originally planned for LEDs at some stage of developement, but this one channel is "defective by design" in the CPU and to difficult/costly/time consuming to fix before release, so all LED lighting was scraped this time around and may resurface in a "Night MXQ" or MQX2.

Supporting clues:
- I've yet to see someone getting all 4 LED outputs to work
- the holes at the unerside of the motor covers look like 3mm LED mounts to me
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:42 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Where to use the Orange Blades

When I bought my mQX, I bought a set of the Orange blades for higher visibility. Now which blades, the white ones or the black ones, should I replace with the Orange ones?

I'm assuming someone has experimented with different colors and can save me the difficulty of extensively field-testing it!

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:36 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
When I bought my mQX, I bought a set of the Orange blades for higher visibility. Now which blades, the white ones or the black ones, should I replace with the Orange ones?

I'm assuming someone has experimented with different colors and can save me the difficulty of extensively field-testing it!

Jim
well the idea of the orange blades is so you know what direction it is flying. so in that case it doesnt really matter where they are placed as long as you know where they are.
i have replaced my white blades with the orange ones (i fly in x configuration) and they almost glow in the sunlight.
but you could put one white one orange tohelp with left right orientation as well. you could but them both in the rear. the idea is that you know what side is witch do to the color of the blades. just make sure the prop you replace is going the same direction as the one you remove(clockwise or counterclockwise.)
so just put them on and have fun at a further distance.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2009
68 Posts
The orange props are great. You can realy see them clearly in the sun. I have 4 sets coming in the mail.
exita is offline Find More Posts by exita
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
957 Posts
Quote:

Jim
As other posters said it is up to you. This is my orientation setup.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,341 Posts
Quote:

Jim
I use one black, one white and two orange blades.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,611 Posts
well i was doing my normal searching on the net and I came across this little guy
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...f-p-46172.html

it will be in stock on june 20th and if you take a good look at the pictures and the video it really looks like a MQX clone the motor mounts and covers are the same as the mqx as well as the props. they dont show a pic of the board but for the price i might just have to buy it and give it a try.

if anyone else buys one please let me know the results.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
You can find more infos about the "clone" on this thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658847
mystman is offline Find More Posts by mystman
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Orange props are definitely the easiest for me to see.
Indoors: I find white easier to see than black.
Outdoors: white is slightly easier to see than black for me (even with clouds as a background), but not by much.

I ended up with this prop color scheme (to evenly use up all the black and white props that I have):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I use one black, one white and two orange blades.
My front props sometimes get bent from crashes (I then do some unbending with heat).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Smith View Post
Here's some pics of mine.
It looks like it's having as much fun as I have flying it.

Great looking canopy!
But does it bite its tongue when it crashes?
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:

Jim
I think it partly depends on where you fly. My backyard is lined with dark trees. I lose sight of the black blades easily so I run orange and white. If you are flying with a clear sky background you may prefer to keep the black blades instead.

I find the orange to be easier to see so I fly them up front. Having matching colored bodies helps my old eyes and brain with orientation as well.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Last edited by TomQ; Jun 13, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
You can find more infos about the "clone" on this thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658847
Talk about confusing. They name it after one quad and copy another one. The Ladybird (you know, the one that looks like a ladyBUG) would have been nice to get at that price as an indoor lousy weather quad. The real Ladybird requires you to buy the $50 transmitter. Hey, maybe they'll clone the Ladybird for $40!!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack