Flyin cat.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
come on with the flying cat already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Sickening

It's a "Catastrophe"!

(I slay me! Tip yer waitresses, two drink minimum)

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: because comedy can't EVER be perfect!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrclkd View Post
I've been reading threw these threads looking for similar issues but ...

Yesterday I went to fly the MQX I've had for a few months and it is getting near uncontrollable. Before this I could fly it easily in 6 x 6 space. Sometimes all the motors spin, other times a random two or three spin and when all four are working the quad banks hard left at take off, then as I correct it, it pulls hard right.
When it was new, subtle inputs would stabilize the MQX now it reacts as if I yanked the stick over.

I've been flying this for quite sometime and never had issues with it before. It used to hover nicely and was fairly easy to control even on windy days. I fly with NO expo or rates on and even tried creating a new model on my DX7 for it with the same results.

It binds right away and I can't for the life of me figure out what has happened.
Any ideas? The gears are clean, props spin freely etc.
I found that the carbon fiber arms tend to split, and then twist more freely. When that happens, the MQX gets sloppy. Grab opposite motor ends and twist a little. Then the other two opposites ... you can feel if they are twisting more than they should.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:49 AM
Joined Apr 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
I found that the carbon fiber arms tend to split, and then twist more freely. When that happens, the MQX gets sloppy. Grab opposite motor ends and twist a little. Then the other two opposites ... you can feel if they are twisting more than they should.
Thats excactly was my problem (with the arms). Once I replaced them it was ok again. Also sometimes one of the props gets twisted a little bit but its hard to see that.
exita is offline Find More Posts by exita
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:31 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi All,

Well i maidened the MQX last night in my small front room and have run 4 packs through it, initially a tad disapointed based on all the glowing reports- i guess i was expecting a bit more - although i do have the stock TX which in all fairness isn't great and even on the low rates it's way to high not only is it very twitchy but it's so easy to over compensate the controls. I think if your serious about the MQX you deff need a DX6i or higher radio so that you can fine tune the controls to suit your flying skills and ability.

I found nose in trickier than expeceted, i guess this is also because iv been flying co-axal heli's for too long, the MQX reminds me of when i started learning on FP back in the day of the Ikarus Piccolo. However it does hover well and is quite stable once it's established itself.

The bottom line i guess with a decent radio and some practise the MQX experience will grow on me. (Or at least i hope it will)

Any thoughts/tips?
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:09 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Simon, you need to try it outside and do some FFF. It's a whole different experience Outside.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Thanks Gerry.....and with a DX6i over the stock TX?
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:18 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Thanks Gerry.....and with a DX6i over the stock TX?
Simon, I'm using a DX8 but with no expo or anything like that, just rates at 100%.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Ok thanks for that. I need to get a DX6i asap!
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks for that. I need to get a DX6i asap!
Well, what I'm saying is that my DX8 is unprogrammed, so I'm using zero extra functionality over what you have. Like I said, try it outside.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Thanks will do, i'l wait for the wind to die down, it's gusting 45 kts at the moment.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Well, what I'm saying is that my DX8 is unprogrammed, so I'm using zero extra functionality over what you have. Like I said, try it outside.
i told my buddy the same thing then a week later he comes to me and says this thing is a blast and he almost sold it because it was to hard for him to control but after flying it outside on full rates he wants to buy another one because his motor is going bad and our hobby shop has no motorshe doesnt want any downtime lol. Also he says it is easier for him to fly with full rates now because it does what he wants when he wants he doesnt have to wait for expo or dual rates to slow it down.
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2009
68 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

Well i maidened the MQX last night in my small front room and have run 4 packs through it, initially a tad disapointed based on all the glowing reports- i guess i was expecting a bit more - although i do have the stock TX which in all fairness isn't great and even on the low rates it's way to high not only is it very twitchy but it's so easy to over compensate the controls. I think if your serious about the MQX you deff need a DX6i or higher radio so that you can fine tune the controls to suit your flying skills and ability.

I found nose in trickier than expeceted, i guess this is also because iv been flying co-axal heli's for too long, the MQX reminds me of when i started learning on FP back in the day of the Ikarus Piccolo. However it does hover well and is quite stable once it's established itself.

The bottom line i guess with a decent radio and some practise the MQX experience will grow on me. (Or at least i hope it will)

Any thoughts/tips?
I've never flew a helli in my life, only the 10$ 3 channel toys I buy for my son. This is my 1st one. I use the stock tx and its good for me. Once you get use to this helli its not hard to fly at all.. I'm doing crazy stuff with it now and I feel I control it perfectly. You have to fly it outside to get the best out of it. I just love the precise responses to my inputs.. Its ecxactly my taste of flying. Couldnt ask for more.
exita is offline Find More Posts by exita
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Simon, I had the same problem when I first got my MQX. I couldn't even hover it over my pool table for more than a minute or so without losing control of it. It really makes a big difference when you have more space (outside) to get used to the controls. Now I can fly it around the house, through doorways, etc.. but it's still WAY more fun outside.
BTW - I used the RTF TX for the first few months I had it and got very used to it even with full rates. Since then I have bought a DX6i and it actually took a while to get used to using it verses the stock TX. Now that I have the hang of it, I love messing around with all the settings, trying different things.
Anyway, keep at it and you will love the MQX in the end.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:10 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

Prior to my mQx, I had been trying to fly a GWS mini-dragonfly (another old 90 degree flybar FP, like HBFP or a Piccolo). To me, both can be easy to over compensate on the controls, though the mQx is much less likely to wander randomly (probably due to the 3 axis-gyros). Outdoors, the mQx is much easier to control in the wind (probably due to those 3 axis-gyros) than my mini-dragonfly (which did not like wind at all).

I mainly do tail-in hovering for both, but outdoors, I can hover tail-in my mQx up to about 50 to 75 feet high and then flip or roll it (using 125% rates and still losing 10 to 30 feet on a flip/roll).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jun 08, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:06 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Very cool .... what do you use for veiwing?
AIO goggles, mostly. Built in receiver. Also have a full on ground station with Fatsharks.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker