HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 02:58 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
"Another thought I had was to create some short "stilts" on each of the landing feet to extend the mQX up a bit higher off the ground, allowing more clearance under it when it lands."

What I did for landing "feet" is I took 4 of the cheap bamboo skewers you get at the $Store and put about 1" of shrink wrap on the pointed end and then put another piece of shrink wrap about 1/2" on top of that. If it is a little tight I sandpaper the outer shrink wrap at the end so that it is tapered and as far down as I need to to make a snug fit into the 4 holes on the bottom of the housing. If it is too loose I put a line of CA down the shrink wrap from top to bottom and spray it with some bonder and then carefully sand this down until I get a tight fit. This method works with carbon fiber rod too. Use a piece of CF that is too small and build up the business end with 1/8" shrink tubing until you get the fit you want. If fit right they stay in and are also easy to remove so you can get the MQx back in the box. Mine are 3.5" tall.
Interesting approach. I noticed those little holes just the other day and was wondering if they originally had some purpose on the mQX and later were unused when it was released.

If you had some CF rod that was just a little oversized, you could turn it with your fingers against a needle file and reduce its O.D. until it fit. I have done that to slightly taper the ends of the CF rod used with O-rings to mount heli canopies, so they slid in more easily. CF is really easy to file. Just don't inhale the dust.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:39 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
thanks for the pics Zoandar! keep us posted with your progress!
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:23 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Here is my mQX with the Wing Cam in its foam block, mounted to the top of an alternate canopy I made out of a small margarine tub. The tub is cut down to a depth of 1.25".

I took it for a test flight in my living room (since it is midnight here) and it seemed to need to 'get its sea legs' for a few seconds, but once the gyro stabilized it flew pretty well after initially flopping around like a fish.

The rotors sound like angry hornets with this configuration, so it seems to be working much harder than usual to fly. But It seemed to have reasonable performance as far as the controls are concerned when it came to ascending and moving laterally. Once I get a chance to take it outside I'll know more about whether this will work. But it has been pretty windy and rainy here lately, so I might have to wait for better weather.

I made the cup depth sufficient to also try slinging it below the mQX and put the foam block inside the dish, at which time I would need to cut an access hole for the lens. I figure I could turn on the camera, then mount the canopy upward from the bottom.

The test video from the flight came out smooth, but I did forget to peel off the plastic film over the lens, so I won't bother posting it. However, there didn't seem to be any distortion or 'jello effect'.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I think he spent a few dollars and the rest shipping (grinning)
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 03, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
What TX are you using and what are your "settings" on it?
Thanks
DX6i with endpoints set to 125% on ELE, and AIL. Rates at 85% on ELE, AIL, w/ 25% EXPO
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
Thanks very much. This is more proof of concept I suppose than anything...I may have to go over to the aerial photography section and see if anybody has dug up a keychain-like camera that takes stills as opposed to video.
TJFINAN is offline Find More Posts by TJFINAN
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:34 AM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
MQX canopies

Hi guys, I wanted to make some canopies for my MQX because I don't care for the stock one. I'm no modeler and this was my first attempt at something like this so I hope they don't look too bad! The first one I made from the paper canopy design shared earlier on this thread.I modified it and contructed it out of neon yellow 2mm craft foam. The second one was just a simple dome canopy made from a Mcdonald's drink dome. it fits perfectly so I thought Why not?...lol
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:08 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Hi guys, I wanted to make some canopies for my MQX because I don't care for the stock one. I'm no modeler and this was my first attempt at something like this so I hope they don't look too bad! The first one I made from the paper canopy design shared earlier on this thread.I modified it and contructed it out of neon yellow 2mm craft foam. The second one was just a simple dome canopy made from a Mcdonald's drink dome. it fits perfectly so I thought Why not?...lol
Very nice effort. There is a thread dedicated to alternate canopies. Check it out if you haven't yet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589171
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:17 AM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Very nice effort. There is a thread dedicated to alternate canopies. Check it out if you haven't yet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589171
Thanks! I will definitely check it out
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:24 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
Blue, the thing that's really nice about the McDonald's top is it's clear so you can see the blue LED for binding, it's rounded so it doesn't catch - it just rolls, and it's pretty tough for what it is and what it costs! I think I'll stick to mine and not get too wrapped up in anything expensive. Your foam one is great, though.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:48 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Blue, the thing that's really nice about the McDonald's top is it's clear so you can see the blue LED for binding, it's rounded so it doesn't catch - it just rolls, and it's pretty tough for what it is and what it costs! I think I'll stick to mine and not get too wrapped up in anything expensive. Your foam one is great, though.
Thanks! I like the simplicity of the dome also, it's fairly durable & like you said, free!
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
FWIW, the guy who always sells returned Eflite stuff had an MQX on Ebay yesterday and the only thing it says is it's BNF and without a battery. Not bad for the price he was getting!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:15 AM
Capt. Dennis
Sweden, Västerås
Joined Jan 2004
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
A little more beer would have helped vastly
no drinking and flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Are you making sure to turn on the DX6i first, wait 4 or 5 seconds, then turn on the MQX? I know for sure if you turn on the MQX first you lose the bind.
think its that way I go, first TX then mQX.
will try it again later, and wait for 5-6sec.. will record it, so you can see if Im doing it right. haha
ReasonSwe is offline Find More Posts by ReasonSwe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:36 AM
sorry, my english is bad
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Apr 2011
234 Posts
Rubber tubing glued in:

CF sticks can be pushed in and out for higher ground clearance

happy FPV Bug

thats my mQX mod
teramax is offline Find More Posts by teramax
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:52 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Hi guys. Anyone know where I can get similar kits to this, as this guy doesn't ship to the UK: http://www.sf-design-solutions.com/

Brentford RC do one but it only has two 5mm LEDs and uses heavy wire.

Thanks in advance.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection