SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
307 Posts
Do the cases of the new #808 cams still contain unacceptable amounts of lead?
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:12 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
307 Posts
Here is my mQX doing what it likes to do.
Tumbling the mQX (2 min 16 sec)
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Nicely Done
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
C'mon, it's easy to flip one of these mQx flyers. I do it all the time.

Too bad that every time I do, it crashes to the ground.

Heli-yeah's talent is being able to do it over and over again in the same flight.

I agree, nicely done.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
Do the cases of the new #808 cams still contain unacceptable amounts of lead?
Try the 808 thread
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:00 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
Zoandar,

do you have any close up pics of your setup? I think it would help me understand a bit better what you are describing.

thanks!
Not at the moment. When I made the tape sleeve last night for the camera, I ran into problems trying to mount it to the bottom of the battery bracket. I then got another idea to use a block of foam and slide the camera into a pocket cut into the foam. But there isn't much clearance under the mQX, so now I am thinking about trying a top mount. I don't fly aggressively, so maybe it won't matter for me, center of gravity -wise. Many folks have made alternate canopies from different cups or their lids. I may have something here like that which will have a flat surface on it. With that on top, the camera could sit there (in the block of foam I have fitted for it).

I'll try to get the time to take some snapshots of that tape lipo sleeve on my HBFP so you can see what I meant. It could work, if we could figure a way to mount it under the mQX. The problem was that the little bars of the battery box are on such a slant across the forward (nose) orientation of where the camera would need to point that I couldn't get a solid mount.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:04 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
Here is my mQX doing what it likes to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVTE...hannel&list=UL
What TX are you using and what are your "settings" on it?
Thanks
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:56 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post
Not at the moment. When I made the tape sleeve last night for the camera, I ran into problems trying to mount it to the bottom of the battery bracket. I then got another idea to use a block of foam and slide the camera into a pocket cut into the foam. But there isn't much clearance under the mQX, so now I am thinking about trying a top mount. I don't fly aggressively, so maybe it won't matter for me, center of gravity -wise. Many folks have made alternate canopies from different cups or their lids. I may have something here like that which will have a flat surface on it. With that on top, the camera could sit there (in the block of foam I have fitted for it).

I'll try to get the time to take some snapshots of that tape lipo sleeve on my HBFP so you can see what I meant. It could work, if we could figure a way to mount it under the mQX. The problem was that the little bars of the battery box are on such a slant across the forward (nose) orientation of where the camera would need to point that I couldn't get a solid mount.
Sounds good, I agree mounting it on the bottom is preferable to keep the center of gravity low. That is why I am leaning towards cutting the cradle off and attaching velcro to the bottom of the frame, which would free up space/clearance on the bottom to mount the battery and camera. I just don't know the best way to mount the velcro to the bottom (suggestions please!)
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
Load of an MQX

I too picked one up recently and am very impressed.

I was wondering if anyone has done any load testing to see just how much the MQX can carry in terms of a camera. Im really more interested in photographs as opposed to video, and would like to find a keychain-like camera that could take a series of photos, although I recognize that in all likelihood HD video with a keychain camera is going to be the best that can be done...

My intent is to use it more for aerial photography, and realizing that it is likely not going to carry a 10mp camera, I want to see just how big we can go.

Thanks.
TJFINAN is offline Find More Posts by TJFINAN
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:19 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFINAN View Post

I was wondering if anyone has done any load testing to see just how much the MQX can carry in terms of a camera. Im really more interested in photographs as opposed to video, and would like to find a keychain-like camera that could take a series of photos, although I recognize that in all likelihood HD video with a keychain camera is going to be the best that can be done...

My intent is to use it more for aerial photography, and realizing that it is likely not going to carry a 10mp camera, I want to see just how big we can go.

Thanks.
In case you're curious, the HobbyKing HD Wing Camera can do photographs as well as video. But it requires pressing one of the buttons on the camera, unless you use the Motion-Detect Photo mode, which would, while flying, likely result in something resembling time lapse photos. That might work for you. Here is what it says in the manual about that feature:

+++
6. Motion-detect photo taking

> When it is transferred to motion-detect video recording mode, the camera will enter into intelligent photo-taking mode. When the camera captures mobile objects, it will takes a photo automatically.

> Motion-detect photo taking loop coverage: when the TF Card is fully loaded, it will delete the old videos or photos automatically to acquire the space to store the new photos. the function is closed, the camera will power off
automatically when the storage space is fully loaded.

Note:
When the TF Card was fully loaded ( the loop coverage function closed) , battery used up or stop operated for 3 minutes, it will shut down automatically.

+++

I would expect that flying would be sensed as continuous motion, so it would likely keep snapping photos until, depending upon the setting you chose, it either filled the SD card and stopped, or kept on going, overwriting the oldest photo (not sure I would want that) until the camera lipo died.

To be able to actually tell a carried camera (from your position on the ground) when to trip the shutter is probably something not available on these small cameras. I imagine the bigger quads carrying DSLR cameras have either a servo hooked to the shutter or are programmed somehow to take photos in sequence.
Last edited by Zoandar; Jun 01, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:29 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
Sounds good, I agree mounting it on the bottom is preferable to keep the center of gravity low. That is why I am leaning towards cutting the cradle off and attaching Velcro to the bottom of the frame, which would free up space/clearance on the bottom to mount the battery and camera. I just don't know the best way to mount the Velcro to the bottom (suggestions please!)
I can suggest the thoughts I had on this last night. There really is very little to mount to as far as those 2 bars supporting the battery. But you could add something (keeping its weight in mind), such as an "X" made of CF rod spanning between the landing feet, not unlike the "training gear" used to learn to fly a pod and boom heli. Put something at the center (just like the training gear) and you can use it to carry the camera, with Velcro or whatever you choose.

Another thought I had was to create some short "stilts" on each of the landing feet to extend the mQX up a bit higher off the ground, allowing more clearance under it when it lands.

At the moment I have my Wing Cam slid into a piece of foam. I'm still thinking about trying to mount that atop an alternate canopy and see how it flies. It would be nice to have the buttons on top.

Here are some pics of the tape lipo sleeve I mentioned and how it holds the lipo on my HBFP. Also of the Wing Cam slid into a block of foam, while I decide how to attach it.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:33 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
The mQX is rated for a 1 oz payload. It can carry considerably more than that, however there may not be enough headroom left to deal with turbulence outdoors, or to get out of bad situations. It can still do flips & rolls with a 15g keychain cam strapped to it's belly.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:53 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,884 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
I hate to point you to another thread or brand, but Walkera has a new version of their UFO 5 that already comes with a camera. I've also seen a lot of camera mounting brackets, etc. for larger quads. Of course, with a larger quad comes a larger $$$$$$$$.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
that is one sweet looking plane. 7.4v sys. and adjustable cam. I like, I like.

Taking a lookat the mQX to the walkera ufo #5, look aht the way the motor and gear are protected. the body. etc. I already got a cwuad. if I need to get another one. I thin i will look into the walkera
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:24 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
"Another thought I had was to create some short "stilts" on each of the landing feet to extend the mQX up a bit higher off the ground, allowing more clearance under it when it lands."

What I did for landing "feet" is I took 4 of the cheap bamboo skewers you get at the $Store and put about 1" of shrink wrap on the pointed end and then put another piece of shrink wrap about 1/2" on top of that. If it is a little tight I sandpaper the outer shrink wrap at the end so that it is tapered and as far down as I need to to make a snug fit into the 4 holes on the bottom of the housing. If it is too loose I put a line of CA down the shrink wrap from top to bottom and spray it with some bonder and then carefully sand this down until I get a tight fit. This method works with carbon fiber rod too. Use a piece of CF that is too small and build up the business end with 1/8" shrink tubing until you get the fit you want. If fit right they stay in and are also easy to remove so you can get the MQx back in the box. Mine are 3.5" tall.

Edit: The bamboo skewers idea works but I managed to break one last night on a cement impact so if you are looking for a long term solution go with the CF rods.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Last edited by MOfroggy; Jun 03, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Addendum