HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
IT IS A CLONE! Benma hobbies cloned both the MQx and Walkera Ladybird and used a Ladybird canopy for both models. They have some side by side images where you can see the difference in size. They are the same company who make the V911 FP heli and both of these clone quads use the V911 controller... very similar to the MQx controller.
Typical of how things run around here. They're discussing quads on the micro heli forum. They're going to throw those out there for $41 and/ or $31 USD? Regardless of who is actually behind it, I think the comment about trying to force out American manufactured heli's and quads is accurate. I have no idea how they can get away with using identical canopies unless one is in bed with the other.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Typical of how things run around here. They're discussing quads on the micro heli forum. They're going to throw those out there for $41 and/ or $31 USD? Regardless of who is actually behind it, I think the comment about trying to force out American manufactured heli's and quads is accurate. I have no idea how they can get away with using identical canopies unless one is in bed with the other.
Our Asian friends have a unique approach to dealing with US patent and copyright laws, that's how. Sort of a "zero tolerance policy", one might say.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old May 31, 2012, 11:16 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
I am interested in mounting my HK wing camera to my mQX.

I would like to do this with little/no modifications if possible.

Where's the easiest place to mount? I have some 3M velcro...
Greetings, beerassassin, and welcome to the forum!

I have one of the HK HD wing cameras on its way here (hopefully today) and will get back to you once I decide how to mount it. But be aware that using velcro has been discussed as one cause for "the jello effect", where the recorded video plays back with a series of vertically rolling waves of distortion. So I am going to examine other options.

I don't fly 3D, but prefer the slower more realistic style of flight called "scale flying". So I am thinking of trying to create some sort of suspension method hanging below the mQX if possible. I have read that mounting these cams below instead of above helps stabilize the mQX more, resulting in smoother recordings. Maybe use rubber bands or elastic strap. It will depend somewhat on just how heavy that camera is and how much the mQX can lift and still fly reasonably well.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:22 PM
Capt. Dennis
Sweden, Västerås
Joined Jan 2004
243 Posts
iv got a smal problem with my mQX.
it seems that it dont remember my DX6i every time.. so i have to re-bind it.. it sux.

just bind it as +, held right rudder and bold "bind", started the transmitter (mQX already on and flashing like a 70īs disco). then when itīs bound together, i fly around abit..

turn it off, and on again (both mQX and DX6i) and now it dont remember again.. argh.

am I doing it wrong?!

well.. hereīs a short vid when i flew out from our balcony.
itīs getting dark outside, so thats why itīs abit darkish. hehe
Flyger mQXn från balkongen. (2 min 17 sec)
ReasonSwe is offline Find More Posts by ReasonSwe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Old May 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post
Greetings, beerassassin, and welcome to the forum!

I have one of the HK HD wing cameras on its way here (hopefully today) and will get back to you once I decide how to mount it. But be aware that using velcro has been discussed as one cause for "the jello effect", where the recorded video plays back with a series of vertically rolling waves of distortion. So I am going to examine other options.

I don't fly 3D, but prefer the slower more realistic style of flight called "scale flying". So I am thinking of trying to create some sort of suspension method hanging below the mQX if possible. I have read that mounting these cams below instead of above helps stabilize the mQX more, resulting in smoother recordings. Maybe use rubber bands or elastic strap. It will depend somewhat on just how heavy that camera is and how much the mQX can lift and still fly reasonably well.
Thanks!

I am interested to see how you end up mounting the camera :thumbsup:

I picked up a couple extra Lightning Power batteries that are slightly longer than the stock battery and don't stay in the cradle very well. I saw in this review http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-mqx.html that this person cut the cradle off and mounted velcro directly to the bottom of the 4-in-1 control unit frame. I was thinking about doing this too with industrial strength velcro, or possibly epoxying some sort of thin square shaped material on the frame and attaching velcro to that, so the adhesive from the velcro isn't sticking through the frame.

Does this sound like a good idea?? I was thinking that way I could velcro other things to the bottom too (HK cam), although you are saying this will create 'the jello effect' ...
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old May 31, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
94 Posts
Just got mine last night and did some 'helicoptering' in the front yard and bent a blade on a tree that jumped out at me Had better luck today in the park in some wind that would make me a nervousnovice to fly my T-28, let alone ground my cub. It handled it great and I almost got the hang of 'coordinated' flight and turns at higher speeds. Lots of fun and way easier than my MSRx to get going.
MileHighTakeOff is offline Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff
Old May 31, 2012, 05:28 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonSwe View Post
it seems that it dont remember my DX6i every time.. so i have to re-bind it.. it sux.

just bind it as +, held right rudder and bold "bind", started the transmitter (mQX already on and flashing like a 70īs disco). then when itīs bound together, i fly around abit..

turn it off, and on again (both mQX and DX6i) and now it dont remember again.. argh.

am I doing it wrong?!

well.. hereīs a short vid when i flew out from our balcony.
itīs getting dark outside, so thats why itīs abit darkish. hehe
http://youtu.be/Ji3h6F2IOnI
A little more beer would have helped vastly
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Last edited by Thetis; May 31, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonSwe View Post

am I doing it wrong?!
Are you making sure to turn on the DX6i first, wait 4 or 5 seconds, then turn on the MQX? I know for sure if you turn on the MQX first you lose the bind.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old May 31, 2012, 06:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAo3pJHqinI
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 31, 2012, 06:48 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Just got my new BNF MQX this afternoon & wow! It was really far too windy to fly it outside today but it did cut the wind fairly well & after I get more experience & am able to fly it in an open area it will be a blast. This thing is freaking awesome! It was easy to trim into a perfect flat hover and to do some simple back and forth flying from one end of my garage to the other in the narrow walkway through the middle that isn't filled with storage! I definitely want to make some new canopies for it and I ordered some 2mm craft foam to try & make some. It bound to my msrx TX with no problems. Wish I could use my 9x with it - I may have to get one of the wl clones to try with that, but that's another thread. What I can say is I LOVE the MQX, what fun!

Update: Went out later this evening and the wind had died down enough to have a ball! I ran through a whole battery and what fun this quad is!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Last edited by BlueHavoc; May 31, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:58 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Couldn't hear a word you said.
Try to equalize your audio when you edit. Or better yet, do the trick where you used another camera to record your voice.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old May 31, 2012, 11:45 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
Thanks!

I am interested to see how you end up mounting the camera :thumbsup:

I picked up a couple extra Lightning Power batteries that are slightly longer than the stock battery and don't stay in the cradle very well. I saw in this review http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-mqx.html that this person cut the cradle off and mounted velcro directly to the bottom of the 4-in-1 control unit frame. I was thinking about doing this too with industrial strength velcro, or possibly epoxying some sort of thin square shaped material on the frame and attaching velcro to that, so the adhesive from the velcro isn't sticking through the frame.

Does this sound like a good idea?? I was thinking that way I could velcro other things to the bottom too (HK cam), although you are saying this will create 'the jello effect' ...
I know lots of folks have used Velcro to mount lipos on helis, especially after modifying them. I use it on my HBFP and also on my Blade 400 inside its scale body. If you would like to try another trick I use on my old HBFP, you can make a lipo mounting sleeve out of clear packaging tape. Mine even has a piece of Velcro inside it on the closed end to help hold the stock eSky lipos it shares with my old Lama V4.

All you have to do is cut a length of the packaging tape, and start wrapping it inside out (sticky side out) around the lipo. Don't wrap it too tight, as you want a slip fit, but snug, so you can slide the lipo in easily. Then, wrap another layer around it right side out (sticky side in) to make the outside not be sticky, and help strengthen it. Close one end with more tape if you want. What I did then was mount velcro on one side of the sleeve so I could swap out sleeves of 2 different sizes for the 2 types of lipos I was using. I didn't want Velcro on the sides of the lipos because it would have interfered with the stock lipo mount I still use on the Lama V4 when using both types of battery, which managed to fit on the V4.

I think the issue with the Jello Effect and velcro is due to the way velcro sometimes seems to work better to stop things from sliding sideways than it is to hold them fast. But it depends on the Velcro. Some holds really well, so might not be an issue. But if its loops are longer, or getting worn, it allows too much motion up and down in its holding ability. It might work OK if you can get a really tight holding power with it.

As far as mounting mine on the mQX, I just played with the Wing Cam to learn how to operate it, and now am looking at how to mount it. I'd really like it to be right side up, so I don't have to invert whatever videos I make. But that means obstructing the 3 control buttons, unless I can come up with a way around it. And come to think of it, maybe the "tape sleeve" idea above just might be the ticket! If I can make it so it holds well to the mQX, I can power on the camera, start the recording, then slide the camera into the sleeve. I think I'll try that idea first.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:48 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Has anyone, while mounting a keychain or HK Wing camera below the mQX, tried mounting it so it is not centered with the mQX center of gravity? I am wondering if it could be shifted forward somewhat, to allow access to the control buttons on the top, and wondering how much it would affect the flight control of the mQX?
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:32 AM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Zoandar,

do you have any close up pics of your setup? I think it would help me understand a bit better what you are describing.

thanks!
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Mar 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
+1 on mounting on the bottom.

The MQX tends to fly a WHOLE lot better!

I velcro the cam upside down and use Corel Video Studio Pro 4 for my editing and just "flip" the video using the software!

Best to all!

b

Here!
With the 808 #16 you can configure it to record upside down, giving you button access, stability, and no need to edit
micros is offline Find More Posts by micros