HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_S View Post
I got an mqx rtf about a week ago, and am still learning to fly it. Other than some articles/videos on how to fly quadcopters (which would be awesome), I'm hoping someone who knows this model could tell me if this is allright.

If I push the throttle until it tapdances on the floor, no ammount of trimming will keep it perfectly stable. By trimming I can keep it from going wildly in a direction or another, but it always drifts a bit. Is that OK? Normal? It never spins while doing this (or hovering), unless I tell it to, so that's good.

When I hover a little I can (more or less, kindof, sometimes mostly) control it, but it drifts quite a bit. When hovering, if drifting, is that something to fix with trimming, or to manually compensate for?
The mQX doesn't need trim, kinda... if you trim it, it will see that as a command other than "stay stable" which is how it interprets "zero" stick input. When the mQX is blocked in any way, the gyro tries to compensate for that, but it's not programmed to deal with physical obstructions - it only understands operating in free air. So... remove all the trim, re-bind, and try flying without skittering over the ground. Get clear of the ground right away.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,801 Posts
Quote:
I got an mqx rtf about a week ago, and am still learning to fly it. Other than some articles/videos on how to fly quadcopters (which would be awesome), I'm hoping someone who knows this model could tell me if this is allright.

If I push the throttle until it tapdances on the floor, no ammount of trimming will keep it perfectly stable. By trimming I can keep it from going wildly in a direction or another, but it always drifts a bit. Is that OK? Normal? It never spins while doing this (or hovering), unless I tell it to, so that's good.

When I hover a little I can (more or less, kindof, sometimes mostly) control it, but it drifts quite a bit. When hovering, if drifting, is that something to fix with trimming, or to manually compensate for?
Tapdancing on the floor? That's a heli thing and I've never heard of that on a quad. In any case, whether heli of quad, either are affected by its own turbulence and it needs to get up above that ~ 3feet. If your fingers are always in contact with the sticks and finger memory is up to snuff, you just automatically correct as needed and don't trim anything unless it's way out of whack. Again, this is more of a heli thing and not something you worry about in a quad.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 17, 2012, 06:56 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The mQX doesn't need trim, kinda... if you trim it, it will see that as a command other than "stay stable" which is how it interprets "zero" stick input. When the mQX is blocked in any way, the gyro tries to compensate for that, but it's not programmed to deal with physical obstructions - it only understands operating in free air. So... remove all the trim, re-bind, and try flying without skittering over the ground. Get clear of the ground right away.
Perhaps, the mQx should not need trim, but (due to the uneveness of the motor strength? or that my Tx is not quite neutral at 0 trim?) it does on mine or the left front motor will not go on as I increase throttle (this occurred out of the box). I needed some right yaw and right aileron trim for a more or less hands-off hover.

In addition, page 10 of my mQx manual recommends:
------------------------------------
'Increase the throttle until the model is approximately 2 ft. (600mm) off the ground in a low-level hover'...
'While attempting to establish a low-level hover, you can also check to see if any trim adjustments are required to help keep the mQX from constantly drifting in various directions. If you find that it constantly drifts without any directional control input, land the model before making any adjustments to the trim settings. Additional details regarding the location and function of the trim buttons are in the “Understanding the Primary Flight Controls” section of this manual.

- If the nose of the mQX rotates to the left or right, adjust the rudder trim.
- If the mQX continually drifts forward or backward, adjust the elevator trim.
- If the mQX continually drifts to the left or right, adjust the aileron trim.

Continue making minor trim adjustments until the machine hovers at a low altitude with very little drifting and directional control input. If the mQX is your first Quad-Copter-type model, seek the help of an experienced pilot to trim the model for you before making your first flight.'
------------------------

I do find that the mQx drifts quite a bit more at really low altitudes (probably ground effect and/or turbulence from prop wash bouncing off the floor) than when above 2+ feet above the floor.

Also, at first running really low rates on the Tx let me control the drift at take-off by countering the drift with Tx stick movement (and not overcontrolling).
I then noticed which way I needed to move the sticks to tell me which way to set the trim.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; May 17, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:15 AM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:

OK first question being is have you come from 2-axe? While the mQX is very stable it's not as easy to fly as say a Walkera 5G4 with the TX and it's gains set up right. The mQX is faster, reacts quicker and won't self right.
It sounds to a me a little as if you expect this to behave like a 2-axe, when it needs a little more positive input then that. Send it left and it will keep going left until you tell it to stop.
It is very stable once you get it into the air, so give yourself some space (which gives you TIME) and using just the gas pop it up to about 5 foot, THEN you can start controlling the right stick.
If you're too heavy with the right stick it will react fast, so gains down, and be gentle with it. It's not going to do anything you don't tell it to and if you've got the space, so you're not constantly trying to avoid obstacles, it will quickly come to you.
docinfrance is offline Find More Posts by docinfrance
Old May 18, 2012, 06:27 AM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
Perhaps, the mQx should not need trim, but (due to the uneveness of the motor strength? or that my Tx is not quite neutral at 0 trim?) it does on mine
SNIP

It did on mine too. That turned out to be one of the props being pushed down too tightly against it's bearing.
Pulling all my prop's up and setting them back with a bit of paper as a feeler gauge put all my trims back to neutral.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,798 Posts
Zero trim/sub-trim here and if flys as level as one would want it to. Like the above I did have issues with one prop and fixing it solve it.

If you are using a computer radio and you want to stunt with it don't forget to max out travel limits on TX. TX with Flight Modes works very well for this application.

I have an indoor outdoor FM as well as a Stunt mode.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
FC flux'd
Joined Jan 2007
537 Posts
Have you guys seen the brushless mod being done here - http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....377068&page=18

it's looking pretty sweet.
Katch is offline Find More Posts by Katch
Old May 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch View Post
Have you guys seen the brushless mod being done here - http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....377068&page=18
Yes and no. Seems a bit of a waste of money to butcher up an mQX like that, but the ability to connect ESCs to the $37 mQX control board sure is sweet. Bought as a spare part that would make it the cheapest controller for something like the Bambucopter Crab 20 or so...
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old May 18, 2012, 05:33 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katch View Post

Very important effort. I hope he succeeds and the rest of us have an option for the HH motors
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old May 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
STOP DUMBING DOWN MY SKY
Joined Dec 2010
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
Very important effort. I hope he succeeds and the rest of us have an option for the HH motors
I applaud the effort and innovation but why?
For what it costs (or less) there are plenty of brushless quad kits on the market.
If you have the skills to put this together then you easily have the skills build from a $8-$50 HK frame.
Seems like building a Turnigy Integrated PCB Micro-Quad, only the hard way.

I get it. You climb a mountain because it's there, but other mountains have safe well trod trails and a better view from the top.

I don't see it becoming a viable economic option to replacing a US brushed motor.

It's an epic first and I can't wait to se it fly, but that's as far as my interest goes.

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it. not as we know it.
It's life Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it Jim
Old May 18, 2012, 09:57 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docinfrance View Post
I applaud the effort and innovation but why?
For what it costs (or less) there are plenty of brushless quad kits on the market.
If you have the skills to put this together then you easily have the skills build from a $8-$50 HK frame.
Seems like building a Turnigy Integrated PCB Micro-Quad, only the hard way.

I get it. You climb a mountain because it's there, but other mountains have safe well trod trails and a better view from the top.

I don't see it becoming a viable economic option to replacing a US brushed motor.

It's an epic first and I can't wait to se it fly, but that's as far as my interest goes.

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it. not as we know it.
It's life Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it Jim
It's life JIm, but with options, but with options, but with with options Jim
Old May 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
It's life JIm, but with options, but with options, but with with options Jim
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old May 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Hey Kris, is that you?
Old May 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Hey Kris, is that you?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old May 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post

Hehehe.. You really are HardCore..