HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 11:07 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
If you can pick a day where there is little to no breeze (like 2mph or less) you my find it is quite controllable in hovering and slow flight on your first venture outside. I'm not having any problems outside at all. When a gentle increase in breeze comes along, the mQX will start to "porpoise" to maintain stability. By that I mean if you swing around and nose into the wind, the front will bob up and down, oscillating maybe 2 or 3 times per second. But if you don't turn into the breeze, it will still do that, raising and lowering which ever side or corner of the bird is into the wind. I estimate the "bob" distance overall is like 2". I was very cautious about taking it outside too. But once you do fly it outside I think you'll be glad you did. And I have found it the easiest to recover from an impending crash of all 4 of my helis, including the Lama V4 coaxial. If you are familiar with how pitching paddles up on an FP will help tame it, which allows you to pull up and stop more quickly, you'll see that the mQX is even more responsive to pulling up and stopping horizontal movement. It really is fun to fly outside. I'm using 100% Rate and no expo now on my DX6i.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post
Was that wild cup oscillation caused by rotor wash? It was hard to see, but looked like you suspended the cup from a central string.
I used three threads looped over the battery. It didn't work very well. We were thinking it might be better if we cut the bottom out of the cup, or put the lid on it, or both.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old May 08, 2012, 04:54 PM
USA, FL, East Central
Joined Aug 2007
644 Posts
tri blades for mQX

Has anyone tried tri-blade rotors on the mQX?
Old Blade Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Blade Man
Old May 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blade Man View Post
Has anyone tried tri-blade rotors on the mQX?
It seems like I ran across that somewhere while reading this thread from the beginning. I think they even made a recommendation for the specific 3 bladed prop that would fit.

Edit- Did some searching of this thread and only found it has been discussed, but no resolution. Searched online and it seems the obstacle is the unique shafted hub prop design of the mQX prop doesn't seem to be mirrored in regular RC prop styles. So to do it, one would need to make hub shaft adapters to put a standard RC prop onto the mQX drive shafts. Then you could use whatever style prop you wanted, providing they come in matched CW-CCW pairs. Of course you would likely be adding more weight, so in the end perhaps not desirable. These tiny pager motors already seem of questionable stamina. Adding to their work load might kill them off a lot sooner.
Last edited by Zoandar; May 08, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 06:52 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
yeah I can't imagine over-propping these motors is a good idea. would love to see somebody try it though.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old May 08, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, MO, Lake St Louis
Joined Jul 2011
5 Posts
I tried GWS 5 x 3 3-blade. Mounted just one and flew. Did OK.
Mounted four, looked and flew good, but they break easy.
Small by the hub.
Actually seemed like the battery lasted a little longer.
dan300 is offline Find More Posts by dan300
Old May 09, 2012, 12:09 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Here's what I found when I went looking for a GWS 5x3 prop. Did you drill and tap the side of its hub to hold it on?
Old May 09, 2012, 02:32 AM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
There are enough of us newbies here that having your settings to compare to might help us.
A little late with this post, but better late then never I guess...

I fly in heli mode so I can utilize throttle hold and throttle curve.

For outdoors:

D/R & Expo

AILE 0 100% + 20%
ELEV 0 100% + 20%
RUDD 0 100% - 40%

ALIE 1 100% - 40%
ELEV 1 100% - 40%
RUDD 1 100% - 40%

I usually fly around with 0 and switch the switches to 1 when I do flips and rolls. Either way, I like having very responsive rudder control to make easier banked turns. When I lose orientation or feel out of control, I have a habit of using rudder as my first attempt to regain orientation/control.

Travel Adjust

When I first started with the dx6i, I did not realize you had to physically move the sticks to change both left rudder and right rudder, up elevator and down elevator etc... Pay attention to the direction of the little arrow before the percent values. Example being, RUDD points to the right by default, so in order to change left rudder value, you need to physically move throttle stick (mode 2) to the left and hold it to the left while you change the value. If you do not then one side will have more travel adjust than the other.

THRO (up and down) 90% -- helps with flips so the mQx does not freak out in a wobble when you jam the throttle back up.
ELEV (up and down) 100%
GYRO (up and down) 100%
AILE (left and right) 100%
RUDD (left and right) 125%
PITC (up and down) 90% -- don't think this applies to the mQx but that's what I have it set at.

Sub trim
PRN - trim as needed to do a stable hover without wind.

Gyro

SW-GYRO
0: 70.0%
1: 35.0% -- use for flips

Throttle Curve
NORM POS L - 0.0%; 2 - 25.0%; 3 - 50.0%; 4 - 75.0%; H - 90.0%
The H position at 90.0% also helps with the freak out wobble when jamming the throttle back up after a flip.

STUNT - does not apply

HOLD - L, 2, 3, 4, H are all at 0.0%

Pitch Curve
Default settings from manual. Don't think this applies to mQx.
L - 0.0%; 2 - 25.0%; 3 - 50.0%; 4 - 75.0%; H 100.0%

Swash Mix - INHIBIT
Mix 1 and 2 - INH
Revo Mix - both norm and stunt all 0%

Timer is at 6:00 - I don't like to stress the motors. Besides, I'm use to the mcpx's 3-4 min flights, so 6 mins feels like an eternity. I look down just to make sure it is still counting down

Swash type: 1SERVO90 degrees.

Indoor is all the same settings except for:

D/R & Expo
AILE 0 75% + 15%
ELEV 0 70% + 20%
RUDD 0 70% - 15%

I don't switch to 1 at all, or else I'd just go outside . I feel that settings are extremely subjective per flying style and preference of pilot. In a nutshell, I see dual rates as how much "potential" you want to use out of the craft and expo is how sensitive you want your stick movements to be. Higher percents = more "potential" or more sensitive. I do not fully understand all the mechanics, however, these settings work for me. Hope this helps!

Good luck, happy flying!
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism
Old May 09, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Feb 2010
669 Posts
Quote:
So it seems the stock TX compared to using a TX like the DX6i is a night and day difference. One suggestion I can offer to those using the stock RTF TX is that of adjusting the length of the stick handles to increase/decrease stick sensitivity (not inlike adjusting the Rate electronically).

This may have been covered elsewhere and l suspect the practice dates back many years to a time before all the fancy radios came out, but for my part pure curiousity led me to looking at this option when I got my Walkera 4#3b. The thing was far too "squirrely" to suit me when I started trying to fly it. Having no TX adjustments, I was thinking what I could do to tame it somewhat, and remembered having noticed the hex setscrews inside the TX knobs on my earlier Esky radios. Back then I didn't give much thought to why they were there, and what would happen if one adjusted them differently. But I began to see that in doing so, the actual lengths of the sticks is affected. Simple geometry. Shorter sticks means shorter (leverage) on the control pots they move. Shorter leverage needs shorter tip movement to achieve the same distance on the opposite side of the pivot. So in reverse, longer sticks means more finger travel on the handle tips to get the same full throw of control input, and that directly translates into finer degree of control.

The 4#3 stick knobs came screwed all the way in (which is why I noticed the difference - the sticks seemed "short" to me). So I backed each knob out about 1/4". The amount it tamed the Walkera was very noticeable, and made it so I can fly it much more easily. I also removed the hex screws and flipped them so the wrench socket ends are facing upward. No need to unscrew the knob all the way to adjust the knob height now.

This might help anyone new to heli flying to tame the mQX if they are using the stock TX and have no adjustment menus, and feel that the stock low rate setting isn't to their liking.
Just bought the mqx with stock TX and it's too sensitive to control...
I will be looking for a Spectrum TX, will DX6I will 100% serve this purpose? Any advantage to the DX7? Can I use DX4?
guyst is online now Find More Posts by guyst
Old May 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,938 Posts
The number is the number of channels. It might be easier to find a used DX6i than a DX7. If you're into any other heli or plane, the 6 channels over the 4 would be a good idea. You want to be able to store settings for more than one flying machine, not just make changes to one and nothing more.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 09, 2012, 07:03 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,938 Posts
FP, thanks for the settings.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old May 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2010
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The number is the number of channels. It might be easier to find a used DX6i than a DX7. If you're into any other heli or plane, the 6 channels over the 4 would be a good idea. You want to be able to store settings for more than one flying machine, not just make changes to one and nothing more.
Thanks. I'm familiar with these TXs (I use to own DX7), however today I have the Aurora 9 for all my models, hence looking for the minimum suitable for the mqx.
Is the DX6i is good enough in terms of dr ep expo mixes etc.?
Will the DX4 will do the same?
guyst is online now Find More Posts by guyst
Old May 09, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyst View Post
Thanks. I'm familiar with these TXs (I use to own DX7), however today I have the Aurora 9 for all my models, hence looking for the minimum suitable for the mqx.
Is the DX6i is good enough in terms of dr ep expo mixes etc.?
Will the DX4 will do the same?
A little Expo and dual rates are just fine with the mQX so the DX4 is workable, I use a DX5e with mine. The dual rates are either high or low and the same with the Expo. It is either running a preprogrammed amount of expo or none. So you can't store multiple model memories and you can't fine tune Expo and Dual rates, but you can fly the mQX pretty well with a DX4 or 5E. If you think you may want to fly other Spectrum DSM2 DSMX heli's and planes the little extra for the DX6i with model memory would be well worth the cost and as a plus give you total adjustment of endpoints, throws, Expo and Rates.

As I don't have a DX6i or better I can't try mixes but most people are not using any on the mQX as far as I know. It flies great without any mixes.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; May 09, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 10:44 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
It is just under 40mm square and weighs 5 grams
Thanks!
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old May 09, 2012, 11:36 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Here's what I found when I went looking for a GWS 5x3 prop. Did you drill and tap the side of its hub to hold it on?
Just from curiosity, what is wrong with the stock props, that these ones will fix?
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis