SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post

Interesting that they use an Atmel SOC for the board. I became interested in Arduino last Xmas, and started playing with one a little. I guess there are some quads that use a mini-Arduino board as a controller.
My brushless CX-2 is using an Arduino as a coaxmixer. Each motor needs an ESC and the mixer goes between the ESC's and the gyro. Not my invention, but it works great.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,801 Posts
Hovering is not the problem, grasshopper, it's when you start moving those sticks that it gets interesting. I've got mine at 40% instead of 20%. Try going up slowly and see where you like it. That video talked about the pitch. There isn't any pitch, so, what was that all about?
Old May 03, 2012, 05:25 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
In that video he doesn't set expo, he sets dual rate. 20% dual rate turns the mQX into a hovering piece of real estate. Try using 80% d/r and 30-40% expo (where it says "INH" in the display) for indoors, I find that to be a good compromise.

For outdoors you want to use 100% d/r and maybe 10% expo.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old May 03, 2012, 05:32 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,801 Posts
You're right. He did leave the expo alone.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:53 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post

So those of you who have flown this on a stock TX at low rate, and also with a DX6i or equiv. Tx using low Expo settings, how do the two flying modes compare? If a beginner bought the RTF model, could they hover in Low Rate as smoothly and easily as this does on the DX6i?
I had the stock Tx from day one until last week when I got my Dx6i. There is no comparison to say the least. You cannot do on low mode what you can do with the Dx6i. If a beginner reads this post, just go for the Dx6i period.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old May 03, 2012, 07:29 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
In that video he doesn't set expo, he sets dual rate. 20% dual rate turns the mQX into a hovering piece of real estate. Try using 80% d/r and 30-40% expo (where it says "INH" in the display) for indoors, I find that to be a good compromise.

For outdoors you want to use 100% d/r and maybe 10% expo.
I stand corrected! Sorry about that. Lots of chatter about Expo settings in these nearly 5,000 posts and it put that word in the front of my mind.

So, the D/R setting is to the left, and the Expo setting is to the right. All of my Expo settings are INH. So I the same as 0% Expo. I was just flying it indoors again on 30% D/R (no Expo) and it is quicker to respond to the sticks, but it also is quicker to 'wander'. BTW, I like your real-estate analogy, because that's pretty much what I saw. A floating platform. My wife, who was observing from a lower floor of the house, says it looks like a flying spider.

I suppose for taking some stable video of something that would be good. Set it up with D/R, fly to the spot with a higher rate, then switch to the lower rate while 'on station'.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old May 03, 2012, 07:34 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Hovering is not the problem, grasshopper, it's when you start moving those sticks that it gets interesting. I've got mine at 40% instead of 20%. Try going up slowly and see where you like it. That video talked about the pitch. There isn't any pitch, so, what was that all about?
Yea, I caught that mention of the Pitch Curve too. Not sure why he thought that would be in use here.

I'll have to try playing with the Expo instead and see how it goes. But compared to my first Lama V4 flight in the same setting, the wife's plants are breathing a sigh of relief! No quick trim this time!

FYI after flying 8 minutes on the timer, all 4 motor cans ranged from 80-84F with an IR Thermometer gun. The Lipo was also 84. The internal house temp where I flew is 69F. (Heat wave hear today in excess of 93 outside!). Coming your way, Jack!
Old May 03, 2012, 07:35 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
I had the stock Tx from day one until last week when I got my Dx6i. There is no comparison to say the least. You cannot do on low mode what you can do with the Dx6i. If a beginner reads this post, just go for the Dx6i period.
Thanks!
Old May 03, 2012, 09:08 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Mine arrived today, but I can't get it to bind with my Dx8.

I put in a freshly charged battery, the mqx unit gives the flashing blue light after about 5 seconds to indicate it's in bind mode. I turn on the Dx8 while holding down the bind button, it says "Binding" and I let the button go. It will go about 10 seconds like that, then display "Transmitting" as if it made a bind, then turn on to normal control mode. However the mqx continues to flash blue. I unplugged the battery and then turn the transmitter off, waited, turned it back on, plugged the mqx back in, and it went into bind mode.

This is the 17th model to bind to the dx8 and I've not had an issue before. This is what I tried:
- Transmitter in DSM2 and DSX modes.
- I thought maybe something on that model slot was messed up so I tried to bind it to slot 18, which has never had a model assigned nor had any settings changed.
- I tried binding while standing about 7 feet away and then about 15 feet away.
- Out of sheer desperation I tried another battery that was right off the charger.

Nothing worked. I called HH but it's too late, so I'll try again tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone could spot something that I missed or know of any issues with this model and the dx8?

Thanks
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old May 03, 2012, 09:18 PM
Connecticut Quad Hacker
Joined Dec 2009
954 Posts
Interesting issues with motors observed while reading this forum

delete
batfire is offline Find More Posts by batfire
Last edited by batfire; May 21, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:20 PM
Connecticut Quad Hacker
Joined Dec 2009
954 Posts
delete
batfire is offline Find More Posts by batfire
Last edited by batfire; May 21, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Zoandar,
4 months ago I had never flown anything. I started with a few different coaxial indoor copters like the Syma S107, and a Syma Chinook. Had a good learning curve with those, then go the RTF MQX and was imediately overwhelmed. I first thought I had made a mistake buying this thing, but after reading about how loved it was in here, I figured I just need to learn to fly it, and that was it.
It took me a good week (using the stock Tx on low rate) of hovering over the pool table just skimming back and forth before I could actually get air with any control at all. Then I took it outside and with more room I could do basic hover, forward and back, and side to side, so long as it was facing away from me.
Eventually I tried some loops and rolls, and found them actually pretty easy in high rate mode.
Next I worked on turning and flying in circles ... orientation was (is) hard to get used to. I almost have it. I can do pretty well if I circle the MQX around me in the center. I still have trouble when I am outside the loop.

Anyhoo ... I just recently switched to a Dx6i and now am sorta re-learning how to fly this thing. I haven't found a comfortable level of settings that work for me yet. But it has been very crappy weather here lately so, in fairness, I haven't spent much time playing with it.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old May 03, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
69 Posts
I got my MQX BNF back in March and pretty much fly it around in the backyard or garage. I bound it to my Futaba (with Spektrum DM8 module) and also to a brand new DX6i. But, honestly, I haven't had any problems with it using the Futaba, so I kind of don't need the DX6i anymore. Regardless, I haven't changed any settings (D/R or expo) on my radio and it flies fine. I've even commandeered a few Li ion 1100 mAh batteries from used cell phones and fly it using those batteries. Not as peppy as LiPos, but I get more run time =) I tried doing back loops, but that just ended in the quad yanking straight back and usually just falling to the ground. Maybe playing with the rates or expo in the radio would help? Not sure, and I'm new to flying, so maybe someone can throw in their $.02.
Needless to say, this thing is fun as hell around the house, especially when weather isn't conducive to flying the VC-450. I've trashed the hell out of the MQX, and I still haven't replaced anything. AWESOME!!
Scooter619 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter619
Old May 04, 2012, 03:20 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Finally got round to making a short video with an 808 #11 on the mQX. This thing is just incredible, indoors and out. Enjoy.

mQX outside.mov (3 min 46 sec)
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old May 04, 2012, 03:41 AM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
+1 hands down.

Dx6i is a game changer. Not just for mqx, but all my blade heli's also. It almost turns it into another craft. Once you fiddle enough with the dx6i and find your sweet spot, you'll never look back.
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism