HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar 20040 View Post
I would like to know the maximum motor time with the 500 mAh Standard Batterie which is included in the set.

Mine is working for about 9 minutes.

Rgds,
Robert R,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I'm getting about 11 minutes on the eflite batteries with mine but that's mostly easy indoor flying, I could see it using them up a bit faster outdoors. I get about the same flight time from the Hyperion 550, maybe a just a bit more but by the 10 minute mark I'm ready to land anyway. !
A lot of people seem to want longer flight times, but it's a lot easier on the motors, batteries, and pilot to take a break after 8 or 9 minutes. The little pager motors in these have shown a tendency to burn out, especially the front right and leftr rear clockwise rotating ones. When the motors start getting hot the batteries will also. Just like overcharging, overdischarging can shorten the life of a Lipo battery pretty quickly.

If I feel like I need more flight time I alternate flights between my mQX, mSR, mSRX, and a Great Wall Xieda 9958. That way none of them have to get overheated and the flying attributes of each helps your piloting skills.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:53 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,275 Posts
Im noticing after many flight now if I punch full throttle the mqx wants to roll over to one side.

maybe one of the motors is getting tired?

probably done about 50 flights now
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
359 Posts
Hi John,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4800889

your mqx quad shows a nice looking cabin. Any link for that?

Regards,
Jaguar 20040 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar 20040
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:22 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Regarding flight-times & batteries - flying to LVC will kill your batteries. Even says that right in the manual. In fact, over-discharge is the #1 cause of early LiPo failure nowadays. For maximum performance & cycle-life, LiPos should not be discharged deeper than 80% - as measured on a charger that displays how many mAh it takes to recharge. With the 500 mAh cell, you don't want to use more than 400 mAh. Set your flight-timer accordingly.

Flying to LVC on any of the HH UM aircraft results in a 93-95% discharge, which typically causes immediate & unrepairable cell damage.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
359 Posts
Can anybody with the proper equipment tell us total current in Amps, say after about 4 minutes motor on?

Thanks,
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Can anybody with the proper equipment tell us total current in Amps, say after about 4 minutes motor on?

Thanks,
Many, many pages ago, someone posted that they measured 6A @ WOT. At WOT, the bird draws about 4 times what an mSR draws, but it weighs just over twice as much. Hence, why it is so much more energetic. It uses four of the same motors that the mSR & the other 1s UM planes (aside from the Champ) use. In each of the above apps, static testing has shown that the motor also draws approximately 1.5A @ WOT.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
359 Posts
Hi Joel,

This fellow "some pages ago" must have made a mistake!

If you work it back considering Amps charged after the flight, it should be abt. 2 Amps.

However I like to know the multimeter reading.

Thanks,
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Hi Joel,

This fellow "some pages ago" must have made a mistake!

If you work it back considering Amps charged after the flight, it should be abt. 2 Amps.

However I like to know the multimeter reading.

Thanks,
As I noted, his measurements were at WOT, which would never be seen in flight. He measured 5.4A @ 19W with a stock cell & 5.9A @ 23W with a Hyp 550: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1046

For another in-flight data point, I'm getting 10 minutes of aggressive outdoor flying (lots of FFF, high-banked turns, aerobatics, flying when it's windy) to the 80% discharge point with my Hyp 550s, for an average in-flight current of 2.6A.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Hi John,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4800889

your mqx quad shows a nice looking cabin. Any link for that?

Regards,
Yes it's been listed here and on the mQX alternate bodies and mods thread more than a few times http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589171

The creators of this mod canopy are at www.parkflyerplastics.com but be aware that at this time 7:24 pm CENTRAL 4/21/2012 I am having a hard time connecting to that site. I hope they are doing OK. The Vacuformed stuff they provided to many of us was great quality.

John in Merrill
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:17 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
359 Posts
Thank you John,

exactly the stuff I was looking for!

Regards,
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
I DESIGN QUADCOPTERS
Joined Apr 2012
777 Posts
Is there any up coming upgrades?
or conversion, do you know if a company is working on something
I found nothing yet on the internet except the ufo thing
saskya is offline Find More Posts by saskya
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:04 AM
woodbury,ct
Joined Mar 2002
196 Posts
Are there any other EFlite tx's suitable for use with the MQX which would give smoother control than the stock one offered with the RTF? Such as the LP5DSM or the HP6DSM?
Dave
a67ems is offline Find More Posts by a67ems
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67ems View Post
Are there any other EFlite tx's suitable for use with the MQX which would give smoother control than the stock one offered with the RTF? Such as the LP5DSM or the HP6DSM?
Dave
Any of the Spektrum 2.4 Ghz transmitters will work with the mQX, but for best progammability, you should look hard at DX6,7,8. These are true computer transmitters with LCD screens to help fine tune expo, rates and mixes. The DX4 and 5 can do a little bit of expo and the DX5 can do the same small expo adjustment and has dual rates, but they are not user adjustable the way DX6 an above are. The JR line of 2.4 Ghz transmitters should work as well. E-flite and Spektrum are both Horizon Hobby brands. Futaba, Tactic and other brands are not compatible even though they can be had in the same frequency range.

John in Merrill
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
I Like Deraring
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2008
1,006 Posts
Just got mine. Wow this thing is neat! And quiet! It is so smooth with my dx4e with expo on. Already have a good grasp flying it with my heli experience - not a single crash!

Now I just need to pick up more batteries!

It surprised me how efficient it is! I was flying a long time, barely drained the battery at all! But I guess once the motors start getting old, it will suck the juice more?

Fun!

My heli flipping skills were always better than my looping skills. I'm a little nervous about trying to loop this (or back flip - whatever)

Cheers!
jdog83 is offline Find More Posts by jdog83
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Any of the Spektrum 2.4 Ghz transmitters will work with the mQX, but for best progammability, you should look hard at DX6,7,8. These are true computer transmitters with LCD screens to help fine tune expo, rates and mixes. The DX4 and 5 can do a little bit of expo and the DX5 can do the same small expo adjustment and has dual rates, but they are not user adjustable the way DX6 an above are. The JR line of 2.4 Ghz transmitters should work as well. E-flite and Spektrum are both Horizon Hobby brands. Futaba, Tactic and other brands are not compatible even though they can be had in the same frequency range.

John in Merrill
DO NOT buy a DX6 transmitter and expect it to fly the MQX. A DX6 and a DX6i
are as different as a Phone and a iPhone.
I really wish people would STOP referencing a DX6 as if it was a DX6i
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek