HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
A WEEDHOPPER! Good GAWD! I used to fly a very early non-aileron Quicksilver with a Rotax 377, and a bud flew a Weedhopper with a Rotax single, I think it was a 277, can't remember for sure.. We were both self taught on those rigs and we would sometimes swap rides. I was scared to dead in that old Weedhopper, but felt very comfortable in the Quicksilver.
Good times,,,,, we used to fly 3 times a week when the weather was nice. Don't think we ever got much more than 30 miles from home.,
He went on to build a couple very nice Rans airplanes since. At 72 he still fliyes a very nice Rans 7 with a turbo 912 Rotax. I quit flying. In 1997 I traded my old Quicksilver for an old Suzuki water buffalo. Too old and frail now for any of that.
Good GOD the memories and fun we had. We will just never stop grinning.
Ron

Did your Quicksilver have the spoilers?? I learned flying Ultralights in one and then when on to build the Fisher 101 as a Experimental plane.. Yep those were the good old days alright.. Still have the 101 in the barn.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:08 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMarc View Post
I learned airplanes on the UM Champ. That experience made a believer out of me that learning on an UM is the hot set up! (light, durable, forgiving, fly in a small space, portable, etc.)
Couldn't have said it any better. Even though I didn't start on UMs I wish I did.

Quote:
Looks like the mQX is all of that but for quad copters!
Exactly. If you've ever crashed a large tri or quad you know who brilliant a small light durable setup is. Laugh off your crash and try again, no better way to learn.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Did your Quicksilver have the spoilers?? I learned flying Ultralights in one and then when on to build the Fisher 101 as a Experimental plane.. Yep those were the good old days alright.. Still have the 101 in the barn.
Yes, spoilers on pedals. NO STEERING
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Just got my new DX6i today and after 10 hours of charging the batteries I bound it to my MQX to try it for the first time. My first thoughts when I saw it was .. it's HUGE ... compared to the toy grade tx I got with the RTF MXQ.

Anyhoo ... WOW!! Friggin love it!! Just flew a bit in the house but .. can totally feel better control of the MQX and it feels good in my hands! Glad I got one!
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Last edited by Scootatrash; Apr 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:17 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Well got it and i bloody love it cant wait to get some more air time with it when the weather gets better,heres a vid.

Blade MQX,first flight outdoors (7 min 27 sec)

Got laughed at by someone for my commentary,I know its not great but its my first time talking on a vid,I hate the sound of my own voice aarrgghhh lol.
megadaz is offline Find More Posts by megadaz
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:27 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Daz your gonna love this one dude its a blast to fly!

Dont forget to do the ping pong mod as you know are english weather can play havoc with orientation
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Mar 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post

Dont forget to do the ping pong mod as you know are english weather can play havoc with orientation
Yeah i was thinking that,guess thats a carbon rod and a ping pong ball lol
megadaz is offline Find More Posts by megadaz
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,597 Posts
I noticed the orange props have shown in stock in a number of dealers today.

These also help in orientation.
barnyardflyer is online now Find More Posts by barnyardflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post

What's the Ping Pong mod?
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:35 PM
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Adding a brightly colored ping pong ball to the front
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyardflyer View Post
Adding a brightly colored ping pong ball to the front
Looks like a GREAT idea! Is the rod a CF rod? And is it under tension against the front of the canopy so as to create that arc?

You canopy with two-man crew is COOL! Much better than the stock.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
Three Oaks, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
2,597 Posts
Yes, a 2mm cf rod held between the ribs of the landing skids to create the arc.

It is not actually touching the canopy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Couldnt live with out it ! Knowing orientation what ever the angle, makes you fly even more gun ho

Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
365 Posts
I would like to know the maximum motor time with the 500 mAh Standard Batterie which is included in the set.

Mine is working for about 9 minutes.

Rgds,
Robert R,
Jaguar 20040 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar 20040
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar 20040 View Post
I would like to know the maximum motor time with the 500 mAh Standard Batterie which is included in the set.

Mine is working for about 9 minutes.

Rgds,
Robert R,
I'm getting about 11 minutes on the eflite batteries with mine but that's mostly easy indoor flying, I could see it using them up a bit faster outdoors. I get about the same flight time from the Hyperion 550, maybe a just a bit more but by the 10 minute mark I'm ready to land anyway. I don't generally fly mine outside, I have a half dozen larger quads for that.

My job takes me on the road several days a week and often overnight so mine travels a lot and gets used to kill the time in the hotel. I've got 3 Eflite packs and 4 Hyperion they're all pretty close to each other in flight time although the Eflites vary more than the Hyperion on voltage and charge time. I have a custom harness that allows me to balance charge three at a time as if they were a single 3S pack, the Hyperions are more consistant in charge rate and voltage after being fully discharged. I charge them all on the big charger before I leave and use the little kit charger if I need to recharge on the road.

When I'm home it's bound to an old DX7, much easier to carry the kit TX on the road but it takes a lot of getting used to flying with it, the response time is a LOT slower than it is with a "real" tx!
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder