HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:18 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Are you buying the DVR to record what the FPV camera is showing to you?

If yes, I think the quality of video is too bad to spend money on a DVR just for this.
Maybe the mQX can support the 808 #16 HD camera which records at 720p and is 16 grams. In this way you can use the 808 camera also for other things and I think for $38 is cheaper.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead916 View Post
cam is on a spare canopy in front, Vtx in rear, battery velcroed in center, it's two trim clicks to hover.
Cool. Any chance of a photo of the setup? I'm thinking the flimsy canopy would add quite a bit of vibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz
Maybe the mQX can support the 808 #16 HD camera which records at 720p and is 16 grams.
The #11 I have here weighs in at 19g and yes, the mQX will fly with it. Although flips get to be real interesting.

If you don't run a separate battery for the FPV you should be able to get the weight down to around 5g (cam 1.5g, Tx 1.2g, wires 2g) which is barely noticeable.

If you're willing to slaughter the 808 you would end up about the same weight, stripped of the casing and the battery.

At a total power consumption of 150 mA for Tx and cam or the 808 an 8 minute flight is only going to suck an additional 20 mAh out of the 550 mAh flight battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz
In this way you can use the 808 camera also for other things and I think for $38 is cheaper.
Well yeah that's true but flying with a camera is not the same as flying FPV.

The nice thing about such a light FPV setup is a crash will not do much damage. The bad thing is it will be quite difficult to find it again afterwards.

- Mark
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
Returning to the subject of the mQX for a moment (ahem) I just went out back to practice flips. I had the keychain cam on the quad and suffice to say the additional weight really makes them interesting! ...
Sorry, my bad! But I did get the info I needed ... so thanks guys!
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
I am building up stuff for x650 quad fpv.
I put those paper grommits to reinforce the spar holes, vibration is not noticeable.
Yes, I'll get busy and post photos tonight.
Been working on getting an old futaba 7fg-k to work on my x650. Selling the hitec aroura 9 because it's not compatable with XA's FC. And theres no module for spectrum rx.
The fpv gear is just to help frame camera on getting thru learning curve with a less costly to belly laugh crash repair bill....
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
Well yeah that's true but flying with a camera is not the same as flying FPV.
I'm just trying to say that you can record with some 808 real HD camera (for example the #18 model have TV out) and have also the fpv module. And all this setup just to have better quality recorded video.

enjoy,
Mtz
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,651 Posts
I flew my mqx outside this past weekend and I didn't think it performed that well. A big part of that was due to the inconsistent motor behaviour on full power where the mqx could not keep level. It would pitch bad to the font-right any time I applied full throttle. I had to swap out a brand new front right motor for another new one which solved most of that. With a bit of a breeze, the mqx had trouble making forward progress and became more of a 'kite'. I will say however that it is pretty durable because I did pile it into the ground quite hard a few times when I lost orientation - which is much easier to happen than I thought! I think I just need to wait for a calm day before I try again... Anything more than a slight breeze seems too much for it.

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
USA, FL, East Central
Joined Aug 2007
628 Posts
brushless conversion

Without reading all 4000 + posts can someone direct me to info on conversion, if any?
Old Blade Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Blade Man
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post
I flew my mqx outside this past weekend and I didn't think it performed that well. A big part of that was due to the inconsistent motor behaviour on full power where the mqx could not keep level. It would pitch bad to the font-right any time I applied full throttle. I had to swap out a brand new front right motor for another new one which solved most of that. With a bit of a breeze, the mqx had trouble making forward progress and became more of a 'kite'. I will say however that it is pretty durable because I did pile it into the ground quite hard a few times when I lost orientation - which is much easier to happen than I thought! I think I just need to wait for a calm day before I try again... Anything more than a slight breeze seems too much for it.

Rob
My mQX handles wind better than just about any of my planes and about as well as my Trex 450. I don't hesitate to fly it in any wind conditions (including gusts) that I would fly a plane in. Rather remarkable, actually. When flying it in wind, you just have to remember keep it pitched forward into the wind. If you try to keep it level, it will get blown around like you describe.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blade Man View Post
Without reading all 4000 + posts can someone direct me to info on conversion, if any?

Hiya Old Blade Man!

There ain't one (yet)!

b
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
You can build a brushless micro quad for less than a conversion would cost. The cost of the brushless motors and ESCs would be the same in either case. But, 4 brushless converters costs around $100. You can buy a frame, control board and receiver for that much and skip the converters. The BlueSkyRC plywood frame costs $10 and is actually smaller than the MQX.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,911 Posts
Had mine out the other day when it was blowing probably 15 mph. The old The Flash foamy was bouncing around pretty good. Took 3 or 4 tries to get it up above a few feet but once there it was very stable. I was flying it crosswind with no problems. It was leaning into the wind about 10 degrees. I think the gyros take care of the wind turbulance, as it was very solid. Even a few snaprolls with a little iffy coming out the bottom. Sure is a whole new challenge.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You can build a brushless micro quad for less than a conversion would cost. The cost of the brushless motors and ESCs would be the same in either case. But, 4 brushless converters costs around $100. You can buy a frame, control board and receiver for that much and skip the converters. The BlueSkyRC plywood frame costs $10 and is actually smaller than the MQX.
Why smaller if paying more? I am sure if the next mQY will be bigger, will be more wanted.

enjoy,
Mtz
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
I fly my MQX's in pretty heavy wind all the time. Makes it challenging ..

Ok so, after over 2 months of flying these almost every day ... AND doing a LOT of crashing ... I finally seem to have burnt out a motor.

Thankfully .. I have already bought spares. So both MQX's are still in business.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:32 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
Why smaller if paying more? I am sure if the next mQY will be bigger, will be more wanted.

enjoy,
Mtz
He is talking "conversion"..
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:41 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,890 Posts
Quote:
I agree that this is not a good platform for a conversion. Do you spend the equivalent of the cost to buy to convert one? If you want brushless, I think you were there already with the Blue Sky quads you got out of. This is what it is.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack