SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
fotoflyer, I was interested in what guys were getting out of that heli. I have personally gone to a brushless conversion on my CX-2 since decent 180 size brushed motors aren't readily available anymore. The guys on the 350 thread started having reliability problems with the 380 size motors on that one and I lost interest.
If you are referring to the X-350, read all about the Extreme Flyers X-350 Coaxial Helicopter that will FFF into the wind here!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540131

There is also an article in the lastest (July 2012) issue of Electric Flight, on page 34.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
I keep reading these stories about bad motors and broken props ,but my experiences have produced none of that.This thing is like the energizer bunny and timex watches rolled into one ...it takes a licking and keeps going and going and going......At least 100 flights, since my appendicitis/hernia operation 3 weeks ago..(what else am I gonna do? the doc wont let me go back to work yet). The only thing I've had to replace was the canopy and that with a domed soda cup lid .
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Apr 16, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:59 AM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
That looks exactly like the Turnegy nanotech battery I was looking at on HobbyKing. They sell it fo $2.58.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20385

They are currently out of stock but they DID have stock yesterday when I looked.

Three of these batteries would be $7.74 plus the $3.00 shipping mentioned above would be $10.74! Your price for the same batteries from eBay was $19.92.

Oh well, we always find out about a better deal AFTER we order!
I paid the extra 9 dollars not to wait 20 - 30 days for batteries. I had em in 2 days. I've ordered from HK a hundred times. Those turnigys are the best deal stateside except maybe those 500mah from valuehobby that thetis posted earlier. I don't mind waiting on some things but I also don't mind paying small premium when I'm in a hurry.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:03 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Those value hobby ones are only 12c though. That's not any better than the e-flite ones. I got 6 of the nano-techs. They work great and made it to California is 10 days.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:07 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
7.4v or 11.1v would be the most likely. Most brushless motors will run on either of these voltages, but 11.1v will provide a lot more kick. Other components are fine with these voltages.
Specifying voltage adds confusion that is not necessary. All you really need to know is the number of cells in series.

In the very early days of LiPoly technology, we all just referred to batteries by the number of cells. Since ALL LiPoly cells are 3V to 4.2V depending on state of charge, the voltage was what it was. A two cell pack would be between 6V and 8.4V, a three cell pack would be between 9V and 12.6V, etc. You didn't have to stop and think.... a pack was one cell, two cells, three cells, etc.

Then for some reason I never understood, manufacturers began using the "nominal" pack voltage instead of the cell count. And to add confusion, they didn't all agree on what the "nominal" voltage was, so the specified pack voltage was not the same from one (for example) three cell pack to the next.

Bottom line.... determine the number of cells something is designed for and don't sweat the exact voltage. For ANY LiPoly pack, it is what it is. Ie., between 3V and 4.2V, divided by the number of cells in series.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:10 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
If you are referring to the X-350, read all about the Extreme Flyers X-350 Coaxial Helicopter that will FFF into the wind here!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540131

There is also an article in the lastest (July 2012) issue of Electric Flight, on page 34.
Where do you think I got my information? Like I said, they are having problems lately with the motors, so, I don't need another maintenance nuisance.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:12 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
Those value hobby ones are only 12c though. That's not any better than the e-flite ones. I got 6 of the nano-techs. They work great and made it to California is 10 days.
If there was anything other than paper clips in the US warehouse, you could have had them in a couple of days!!!!!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Oct 2011
114 Posts
The CW motors seem to be the ones that go...i have replaced them twice already and now find myself babying the MQX and waiting 10 minutes after each flight...There has been talk that horizon has improved the motors, but of course no official word from them, and we never will...
cappy24 is offline Find More Posts by cappy24
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
10 days is an anomaly though, to be fair. Most orders from the international warehouse take longer than that. 2 weeks is usually pretty quick turnaround from China. I'm not so attached to 9 bucks that I wanted to wait two weeks in this case. Sometimes I am though! I've waited more than my fair share for orders from HK.

I'm not really sure that I have experienced much difference in the C rating between the stock batt and the nanos though. I still think those VH batteries at that price and with a 2 day turn around might be the best deal. Unless you are right and there is a significant measurable difference in performance from 12c to 35c. If there is it would probably be most felt outside.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Specifying voltage adds confusion that is not necessary. All you really need to know is the number of cells in series.

Paul
Servos show speed and torque based on voltage and not everyone uses lipos. NIMH and A123 are common in a number of RC applications.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Here are the batts I bought. Three for 19 and some change shipped priority. Took about two days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8#ht_500wt_969

600mAh 35-70C
I got the Hyperion 550's, and just about every other part for the MQX, from Go Nitro Hobbies on Ebay. They have everything for the MQX and I usually get it within 3 days of ordering.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Servos show speed and torque based on voltage and not everyone uses lipos. NIMH and A123 are common in a number of RC applications.
Still, the voltage can be confusing and the cell count never is. An 8-cell NiMH pack or a 3-cell A123 is what it is, and there's no argument. A 10-volt A123 pack could be 3 or 4 cells, right? I have a 7-cell NiMH pack for my truck and it's labeled as 8.4V... not really helpful when I'm setting up the charger, it wants to know how many cells. There is a lot of confusion in this hobby and using voltage to describe battery packs contributes to that confusion. I usually say "3S 2200 Lipo" and I don't think there's anything ambiguous there.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I never realized there was such dislike to referring to voltage. I'm certainly aware of it now!
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post

In the very early days of LiPoly technology, we all just referred to batteries by the number of cells. Since ALL LiPoly cells are 3V to 4.2V depending on state of charge, the voltage was what it was. A two cell pack would be between 6V and 8.4V, a three cell pack would be between 9V and 12.6V, etc. You didn't have to stop and think.... a pack was one cell, two cells, three cells, etc.

Then for some reason I never understood, manufacturers began using the "nominal" pack voltage instead of the cell count. And to add confusion, they didn't all agree on what the "nominal" voltage was, so the specified pack voltage was not the same from one (for example) three cell pack to the next.

Bottom line.... determine the number of cells something is designed for and don't sweat the exact voltage. For ANY LiPoly pack, it is what it is. Ie., between 3V and 4.2V, divided by the number of cells in series.

Paul
So basically, as long as I stick to a 3 cell lipo I can power everything directly off the battery?
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
I would recommend looking at the specs on your motor and esc to see what they require first. I've always thought the standard was 2-Cell/2S 7.4V, 3-Cell/3S 11.1V, and 4-Cell/4S 14.8V and so on.

I'm not an expert by any means but i would try to see what motors and ESCs you will be using and then base your battery and prop choice off of their requirements.

In the end I think both voltage and cell count are muy importante and I would pay close attention to both. That way if you see a header for a product that looks like this you will know something isn't right: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEsQ8wIwAw