HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Nov 2006
22 Posts
I broke a main boom on my MQX today and found some replacements for like 6 bux for a set and 3 bux for shipping. 75-95 bux would be a lot of repairs but who knows. I thought i was a hard driver? I have 2-Mqx' and over the last 2 months of flying them ( I am a beginner) I have broken 4 props and the wires off the board but I resoldered those easily and extra the props come with the kits for free. All in all one of the best bang for the buck RC models I have ever owned hands down.
danyak is offline Find More Posts by danyak
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:32 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
589 Posts
From that $75, $15 were for mQX repairing and $60 to repair he object damaged by the mQX.
For aerial photography maybe is better the mQX because more stable?

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is online now Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,999 Posts
The MX 400 is a VERY expensive quad for the average Joe. Walkera also offers a redo of the UFO 5 that comes with a transmitter and camera. The drawback is it also uses brushed motors instead of being brushless. Walkera's forte should be giving the average Joe what he wants and not reaching out for high-end heli's and quads. They almost always fall flat on their faces because they don't take enough time to prove out what they introduce. It would be great if they stuck to one transmitter for longer than a year at a time!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toywizard View Post
So
I got a Walkera MX400 and OMG (!!!) what a cool rig this is. Wind is not as deadly, it takes a 3s lipo, it will pick up a lb at least (500 grams) and omg is it easier to fly than the MQX! ..
Just curious.... how can you compare that quad to the mQX? It is close to 4X the cost, for starters and it forces you to use their transmitter. If you crash it and break something, how easily (and quickly) can you find a replacement part and get back in the air?

One of the things that contributed significantly to my aversion to anything Walkera was parts availability. Yes, you can usually get parts. But you might end up having to order from several different offshore suppliers to get everything you need. If I break something on my mQX, I trot down to the LHS (or ANY hobby shop) and pick up what I want for a reasonable price immediately.

The beauty of the mQX is that it is cheap, small, flies great (including in wind) and because it is from Eflite, parts are stocked everywhere.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
In the process of playing with it I also discovered that flashing LEDs are definitely NOT good for orientation. At least not the way these flash. They flash in a circular pattern with some dead time between one LED and the next (more off time than on time), with about a second per cycle. The result is that any given LED is not on long enough (or perhaps I should say that it is off too long) to be useful for orientation. So I'm not too sad that all four didn't work, and I went back to my original setup with continuously lit LEDs. It was a fun experiment, though.
Our local night flying group thinks the flashing LED can be used a certain way to increase orientation ability... but it has to be only one or two, they have to be on the same side, and it needs to be irregular flashing. Flashing LEDs on both sides can't be differentiated so that doesn't help, and flashing LEDs with a consistent flash rate get tuned-out by your brain. So... one irregular flasher on one side seems to be the way to go. A random color-changer works in a similar way too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
The beauty of the mQX is that it is cheap, small, flies great (including in wind) and because it is from Eflite, parts are stocked everywhere.
Yeah I agree - it's a no-BS quad copter for those of use who just want to fly and don't want to become an electrical engineer.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
I agree. You cannot compare the two. Can you fly the mx400 in your living room? Also, for $400 I think there are nicer quads to own. I really like this one but it is $460: http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/qua...d-edition.html

edit: Ok I've looked around a little and maybe there isn't a lot better prebuilt for under four hundo. You could definitely build a nicer one for four though which is probably in my future. Mainly because I want to use my radio and building is kind of fun. Although my 450 clone build has not been that rewarding yet! lol.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Last edited by major.monogram; Apr 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
OK, I jumped off the fence - ordered my mQX plus spare props from HH. Yes, I know they are out of stock, but as I mentioned earlier I am in no hurry.

I also just purchased the Extreme X-350 heli which unfortunately arrived damaged. It's at Global for repair and I should have it back in a week or so. I'll be learning to fly that heli while waiting for the mQX, so the wait for the mQX is no problem.

I also bought extra blades for the mQX from HH.

Then I followed up by ordering the 3 Hyperion 550 mAh Lipo batteries for $16.95 from eBay.

Whew! The consternation is over!
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
$16.95 shipped? Pretty good deal if so. I had never heard of the Extreme X-350. Pretty interesting design on the tail to make fff possible on a coax. I like the color scheme too. Looks pretty slick. Too bad it requires yet another radio.

HH really did a good job of making it difficult for competitors to compete with the one radio system concept. I buy planes and helis not produced by HH but usually only if I can add an rx and use my DX7s. I've got so much junk my wife would kill me if I had multiple radios stacking up. Great Planes is catching on though by making ultra micros under that anylink system so people can add a module to their Spektrum TX's and fly other company's micros. Pretty smurt.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:02 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
One thing to remember is that crash damage increases exponentially with weight. The mQX can take a beating because it is light. I also fly a 600mm size tricopter and if it got chucked around like the mQX than broken props would be the least of my problems.

Interestingly enough the AS3X works so well the small mQX is much more stable in the wind than the KK-controlled tri.

Long story short, if you want to learn to fly a multirotor or are interested in sporty flying with its unavoidable crashes than the micro size is your friend. Same with the single rotor helis -- an mSRX will survive stunts that would virtually total a 450 size. Just remember to fly it over a field with nice long grass and you're fine.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
OK, I jumped off the fence - ordered my mQX plus spare props from HH. Yes, I know they are out of stock, but as I mentioned earlier I am in no hurry.

Then I followed up by ordering the 3 Hyperion 550 mAh Lipo batteries for $16.95 from eBay.

Whew! The consternation is over!
In older post in this thread somebody suggested this battery. I haven't used myself though:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0-sr-lipo.html
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
In older post in this thread somebody suggested this battery. I haven't used myself though:

It could be complete crap (i'm sure they're not) and for 2.50 I'll take a bushell!

And thetis where was that link when I was ordering props and servos from there just a few days ago? They arrived yesterday. Actually I have 4 batteries and rarely ever fly them all throughout the day without enough time to recharge them in between anyway. Great link though.
Last edited by major.monogram; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Speaking of batteries; I have found that when I am using the longer 600mah Turnigy batteries my indoor flips only really work well on the upper right axis. This is because when I apply quick full throttle it drops that right front motor. However, when I have the stocker eflite battery front flips are preferable because when I apply full throttle it rises evenly. This makes flips actually much easier. I could do it in a room with 8 foot ceilings. I only just noticed this with the stock battery so I may be speaking out of school. I will do some more tests to confirm. I have some video of really shaky flips and flights in my living room that I am splicing together now. Maybe I will take one with the eflite battery for comparison real quick. With the bigger batteries in I am still at the hit the floor with all four landing pads in about 70% of my flips stage. :-/

edit:// Okay, as is customary I am full of it. It turns out no matter what battery I am using if I firewall it my right front motor drops. With measured throttle I can front flip any battery fairly well. It actually is easier to control post-flip when it is a front flip than if it were a diagonal flip. Here's a really short video from a tail-in perspective of two front flips with the stock battery on board.. One I could barely control after and one where I had some bit of control. Excuse the song in the background. I had Pandora on. I recommend changing it to 720p in the video settings. Its only about 30 seconds too btw.

http://youtu.be/xhrBONM6JfA

One last thing. I have my travels set to 150%, my D/R at 125 and my expo at 20 I think. Whatever Paul said his general setting were above except he said D/R at 150 and mine only goes to 125.
Last edited by major.monogram; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
No, actually it was $20.64 with shipping. But that's still a good deal. I got 3 batteries for $20.64 compared to 2 stock batteries for $19.98.

I know what you mean about too many radios (transmitters). I'm just getting started in this and I already have several extra transmitters laying around. I'm trying my best NOT to buy anymore RTF planes/helis.

Yes, the X-350 has a proprietory transmitter because is is programmed with a special forward-tail rotor mix so when you push forward it also turns on the tail rotor pushing the tail up/nose down so the cyclic thrust of the main rotors can much better thrust the plane forward. From the guys on that forum, it apparently works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
$16.95 shipped? Pretty good deal if so. I had never heard of the Extreme X-350. Pretty interesting design on the tail to make fff possible on a coax. I like the color scheme too. Looks pretty slick. Too bad it requires yet another radio.

HH really did a good job of making it difficult for competitors to compete with the one radio system concept. I buy planes and helis not produced by HH but usually only if I can add an rx and use my DX7s. I've got so much junk my wife would kill me if I had multiple radios stacking up. Great Planes is catching on though by making ultra micros under that anylink system so people can add a module to their Spektrum TX's and fly other company's micros. Pretty smurt.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion also. Before I maidened my white Super Cub a short time ago, I decided (naively) to input some throw and expo. I think I set in 75/25 in my DX6i. Luckly the wind was almost calm on my maiden flight so it went ok. But a few days later when I flew it I felt disconnected from it - it didn't seem to respond very well to my commands. When I would move the stick a bit, I got no response - until I move the stick further. I didn't like that "dead zone" in the center stick position.

So I took all the rate/expo out, flew it again, and now it flew like a champ! (pardon the pun) It was WAY easier to control and I now felt connected to my Super Cub.

OK, so all is well, right? But not so fast. My son is visiting me from Utah and we decided we had to fly something while he was here, even though it was really way to windy. I set it down into the wind, gave it full throttle and the ROG (Rise Off Ground) went perfectly and it immediately went up high against the wind. I managed to circle it a few times, but with each circle it got a little more downwind. All of a sudden the wind REALLY picked up while it was going downwind. It was heading out of the park at this time. My plan was to turn it around as quickly as I could, then give it full throttle and some down elevator to keep it from climbing and make it cut through the wind and come back to me.

But, you guessed it, somehow, the 75/25 throw/expo got set again and I just flat out could not TURN it. I got it turned 90 degrees but I could not make it turn 180 so it would be facing me. With it at 90 degrees the wind just took it and pushed it into the very top of a fairly large tree! Needless to say I was quite upset. I found out after I got home that the throw and expo was still set in my DX6i. I think if I would have had 100%/0 set I could have turned it around and brought it back.

The moral of the story is, as mentioned above, that dumbing down the transmitter is NOT always a good thing to do, it may actually work against you.

Oh, luckily my son was with me, he managed to climb up the tree and bring my Cub down with no problem. No damage at all except for a small ding on the wing. Needless to say I now check control surface movement in both the "0" and "1" positions before flying.
Both my DX6i have dual rate switches so I can pick which rate I like to use for the flying conditions.. Set one way with plenty of control and the other softer.. Take off with the low rate and switch to high if needed..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Boy, that's a good price on that battery! HobbyKing has a Turnigy battery for about that price too, but the $20 + shipping wipes out any savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post