Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:40 AM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Yeah that is the same company and quads as nitroplanes. I might be interested to check one of those out if they ever come back in stock. I still think the mQx is the better value. It is virtually indestructible (except the motors) and a ton of fun and comes with the battery and charger. I've yet to see a better way to get into quads. Especially if you have a Spektrum transmitter already.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:03 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
Yeah that is the same company and quads as nitroplanes. I might be interested to check one of those out if they ever come back in stock. I still think the mQx is the better value. It is virtually indestructible (except the motors) and a ton of fun and comes with the battery and charger. I've yet to see a better way to get into quads. Especially if you have a Spektrum transmitter already.
I couldn't agree more. mQX is just a ton of fun.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Atlanta Hobby got a shipment of these last week while I was there. They hadn't inventoried them in yet, but a few hours later while talking on the phone to them concerning a repair they were doing, I bought one to be picked up on Friday. I was told that they were sold out by Friday, but saw a couple on the shelf.

The wind tends to swirl around the back of my house, but I was able to put 4 packs through it on Saturday afternoon. What a bunch of fun flying the little critter. Interesting that because it is so light, it can be blown around a bit, but on the other hand has the power to fly out of a gust. I had some of those Hyperion 25c packs for my 120SR, and yes as reported they do tend to slid around in the battery slot. Will wrap them with a turn or two of electrical tape to hold better.

Two thumbs up.
chipwich is offline Find More Posts by chipwich
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:08 AM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
I have some 600mah 35-70c Turnigy Nano-Techs and they slide around a bit too even though they seem quite a bit larger than the stocker battery. I think I'll follow your lead and black them out with a little electrical tape.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:14 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,680 Posts
scotch tape works well also.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
. It is virtually indestructible (except the motors) ....
Well, they certainly take a beating, however mine have probably been beaten worse than most, as I was a complete newb learning how to fly these on my own.

My MQX injuries include .. (so far)

4 broken props
2 demolished stock bodies
3-4 make shift (plastic cup) bodies
2 broken motor mount/landing skid parts
1 completely busted off thruster boom arm
3 split thruster boom arms
1 4 in 1 board

All of this was fairly cheap and easy to fix. And I blame my poor flying ... not the quad at all.

Oddly enough ... I've never lost a motor, even though I put four lipos through them almost every day since I've had them.

btw - the one up in the tree ... yeah ... was just repaird with almost all new parts mentioned above. I have a shipment of parts coming in today or tomorrow (including motors) so that I can get my 2nd (spare) MQX up in the air again.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Oct 2008
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Ok, I went and done it now. Took the MQX for one last flight even though I knew it was too windy out there. It got up too high and a gust swept it out of control. Before I could recover it got stuck in a tree... WAY up in a tree.

No way I can get to it. So now I'm down to one MQX again, unless the high winds we're expecting here the next couple days knock it down for me.
I had a Blade SR120 and a CX2 stuck in trees for about 3 months. Had some tree work done and the guy climbed the trees and retrieved them for me. After replacing the blades they both worked just fine! Don't give up.
Robot Dude is offline Find More Posts by Robot Dude
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Dude View Post
I had a Blade SR120 and a CX2 stuck in trees for about 3 months. Had some tree work done and the guy climbed the trees and retrieved them for me. After replacing the blades they both worked just fine! Don't give up.
Thanks Dude!
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
939 Posts
Quote:
I have some 600mah 35-70c Turnigy Nano-Techs and they slide around a bit too even though they seem quite a bit larger than the stocker battery. I think I'll follow your lead and black them out with a little electrical tape.
And even easier way to deal with it is to just hook the battery lead from the board under the left hand boom (looking at the bottom with the battery facing up). At least on mine, the remaining lead and the battery lead are just the right length to hold the battery in. An added bonus is that in a hard crash, the battery often unplugs, limiting motor stress if you forget to close the throttle.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:13 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,468 Posts
Mine has Had many crashes

Bent props; and broken booms, and broken/cracked shafts

I'm wondering now if these hairline cracks in shafts were affecting flight characterists because it flies better now that they are fixed.

BUT

Broke another boom lol - too windy and cart wheels lol
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Oct 2000
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I'm wondering now if these hairline cracks in shafts were affecting flight characterists because it flies better now that they are fixed.
I doubt that simple cracked prop shafts would affect stability, although if severe enough it might cause the prop to tilt slightly. Cracked booms, on the other hand, can definitely let the whole prop/motor assembly wiggle around, moving the thrust vector in ways the board does not expect.

I am finding that weak a motor(s) can have an even larger impact on stability for the same reason... the airframe does not react the way the board expects.

Paul
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Oct 2000
939 Posts
Watch out guys.... I think I posted about this a while ago but it happend again, so here's another caution.

I have LEDs on my quad, and until today all four wires went through the booms. All four are enameled magnet wire. Today, I discovered two booms that had shorts between wires. One had the LED positive shorted to the motor positive and the other had the LED positive shorted to ground. I was not able to see the damaged insulation that allowed contact but I believe it was where the wires exit the boom (either end). The wires were carefully routed in the channel provided for wires but the insulation somehow became damaged enough to make contact.

Fortunately, both shorts were non-critical because they involved the LED positive wire, downstream from the dropping resistor. In one case, the LED went out. In the other case, the LED dimmed slightly and the motor took much longer than usual to spin down. The last time this happened, there was enough current to the motor to actually prevent it from stopping.

I re-routed the LED wires outside the boom and the LED wires can't short to anything any more.

Even if you don't have additional wiring in the booms, be very careful with the motor wires where they exit the booms. If the insulation becomes damaged and the wires short, you will destroy the motor FET. Note that this could explain unexpected FET failures.

I believe someone mentioned using plastic insulated wire from an ethernet cable. Good idea, if the wire is not too big to get through the boom and if you don't mind dealing with the connectors at either end. Note that you don't have to replace both wires.... just one would be sufficient.

I used to think that the wires could get pinched at the end of the boom, but it appears that there is an internal stop that prevents the boom from being inserted far enough to pinch the wires.

Paul
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Yes the insulation getting damaged and shorting, is the main cause of faults with the mqx.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Hey Paul, would you mind showing some detailed pics or a quick how-to on the LED wiring and maybe provide a link to the kit you have? Sorry if you have done this already and I missed it.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2000
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Yes the insulation getting damaged and shorting, is the main cause of faults with the mqx.
Has this been discussed previously? I didn't see any mention of it.

BTW, my LR motor seems to be dying. Again. It was replaced about the same time I replaced my RF motor with a backwards-connected CCW motor. It spins down rapidly, and if removed and spun manually, I can hear something clicking inside.... I assume a damaged brush. I did the WD-40 thing and it seems to have recovered but I think its days are numbered.

The RF motor that was replaced with a backwards-connected CCW motor is still working perfectly. I lost count of the number of flights on it but it has outlived the "genuine CW" LR motor for sure.

Paul