Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Beat me to it Nice Photoshopping, too.

Paul

Can't take credit for the PS on that one. I linked somebody elses pic.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
You can, but that controller has more limited range than a DX6i or other good Spectrum TX. Bigger planes need a lot more space than small helis or micro sized planes. They can get out of range pretty fast.
I probably need to look for a good deal on a DX6i then. My dad buys lots of RC stuff, too much in fact, and he tends to send me his overflow, which is nice. He is gonna give me a real Align heli I think and he does not want me to fly it with my Turnigy 9x radio, so I might have to buy a Spektrum anyway. The T9x really is a nice radio, but some people don't trust it.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:36 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I wouldnt trust the toy grade stock tx with any model that's not in throwing distance.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
I wouldnt trust the toy grade stock tx with any model that's not in throwing distance.
The cheap radio that came with my Esky heli works at quite a far distance. I expected the same quality with this.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:54 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
+1!

The toy-grade Spektrum transmitters are low-power. They're only rated for 300 feet or so, if I remember correctly. Plus, their resolution is very low.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:22 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1!

The toy-grade Spektrum transmitters are low-power. They're only rated for 300 feet or so, if I remember correctly. Plus, their resolution is very low.

Joel
Do you think it will be a good one for the UM P-51?
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Ok, I went and done it now. Took the MQX for one last flight even though I knew it was too windy out there. It got up too high and a gust swept it out of control. Before I could recover it got stuck in a tree... WAY up in a tree.

No way I can get to it. So now I'm down to one MQX again, unless the high winds we're expecting here the next couple days knock it down for me.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Ok, I went and done it now. Took the MQX for one last flight even though I knew it was too windy out there. It got up too high and a gust swept it out of control. Before I could recover it got stuck in a tree... WAY up in a tree.

No way I can get to it. So now I'm down to one MQX again, unless the high winds we're expecting here the next couple days knock it down for me.
That stinks. I've been flying in wind and gusts all day today, and I am just amazed how well the AS3X gyro keeps it stabilized. I can see it wobbling and hear the rotors spinning up and down and it stays level. Amazing. Very easy to fly if I can only keep orientation.

300 feet? I think I've been farther than that already today. That's terrible. Kind like my Losi micro truck with it's 30 foot range. Totally useless junk. Why can't they include a decent transmitter if the cheap companies like Esky can do it. I get way out on my Big Lama with it. Am looking for a deal on a used DX6i but people think it's worth over $100 used when new is $160. If I find a used one under $80 I'll get it, otherwise I'll just go new.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:02 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,416 Posts
The trees just sit there and wait for my helis whenever it's windy. They call out "C'mon and fly! We won't bother you... Honest!" But I know they are lying! So, I drive an RC truck, instead.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:25 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post

I can tell you that I was in a similar situation with a plane and high winds did come to my aid to eventually knock it back down. So there is hope yet.
So hoping for high winds for you (in a good way).
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:46 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
That stinks. I've been flying in wind and gusts all day today, and I am just amazed how well the AS3X gyro keeps it stabilized. I can see it wobbling and hear the rotors spinning up and down and it stays level. Amazing. Very easy to fly if I can only keep orientation.

300 feet? I think I've been farther than that already today. That's terrible. Kind like my Losi micro truck with it's 30 foot range. Totally useless junk. Why can't they include a decent transmitter if the cheap companies like Esky can do it. I get way out on my Big Lama with it. Am looking for a deal on a used DX6i but people think it's worth over $100 used when new is $160. If I find a used one under $80 I'll get it, otherwise I'll just go new.

I would say they're worth about $110 to $120 because that's what they go regularly for and the with a quickness on the classifieds all the time...it wouldn't be impossible to find it under 80 just not very likely.
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:36 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post

The thing is, you can buy a used one now for $110 to 120, or a new one for 160.
Either one would probably be very reliable. In a year from now you would probably be able to sell either of them for $110 to 120. They have been selling on the used market for $110 to 120 for a few years now.
Ron
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:26 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
A 12 ga. shotgun is a surefire way of getting a model out of a tree. Works every time! The model may not be flyable, but at least ya get it back.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildragger55 View Post
A 12 ga. shotgun is a surefire way of getting a model out of a tree. Works every time! The model may not be flyable, but at least ya get it back.
Ha! Don't think for a second that thought didn't cross my mind. In fact, I fly at my gun club, and there were plenty of 12ga handy at the time.

I still have hopes mother nature will knock it down for me. Or maybe one of my crazy, and much younger, buddies will try to climb up after it.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Hey shahram72 ,

I can't imagine flying the MQX any farther than 100 yards. At that point it's almost impossible to see it's orientation. At least for me anyway.

I do want to upgrade to a DX6i at some point .... and a bigger quad!!