HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
947 Posts
Here's an odd one..... every once in a while, after initializing I discover that the motors spin up as if there was a "soft start" mode. The throttle response is delayed, and if the throttle is opened and then immediately closed, sometimes one or more motors will continue running for a second or so. Once above maybe 20% throttle, the throttle response seems normal and the mQX flies OK in calm conditions. Outdoors, it seems less stable but I can't be sure.

Re-initializing usually resolves it and the motors spin up quickly and normally.

Next time it happens, I will pay particular attention to whether all four motors spin up the same, but I think they do. It is just the speed of throttle response that seems affected.

Anyone else observe this behavior?

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username> View Post
So, now that this is a well established and owned bird, what sort of life are you seeing on average from these motors?
This thread is far too long to start from the beginning.
I wonder if the props are too heavy a load for the motors, but haven't actually seen the physical dimensions of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
The RTF ver 2 is here for the past two weeks alive and kicking!
Username,

I have well over 200 10-minute aggressive flights on mine, and the original motors are still going strong. They spool up & down together, and the bird ascends in a reasonably level attitude when I nail the throttle. The props are not overloading the motors. The mQX uses the same motor as the mSR, UM P-51, F4U, Sukhoi XP, Mossie, T-28, Pole Cat, and the upcoming Spit. The mSR & the planes each draw about 1.5A max. Each mQX motor also draws about 1.5A max. In fact, mQX motor loading is about half that of the mSR - given that the mQX weighs about double the mSR, but uses four of the same motors (aside from the reversed brushes on one pair).

Thetis,

Is there any documentation showing that it is in fact a V2, that also lists the improvements? If not - I doubt that anything has changed with the motors.

Over they past few years, HH has changed end-bell & wire color on these motors more than once - but the motor has remained the same internally. There has been no noticeable improvement in motor longevity, power, or the consistency of power between samples since the first UM P-51 was released around 3 years ago.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:40 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Ver 2

I do not know if it is called ver 2 or whatever but I got my second RTF version on 3/26/12. Everybody knows that the initial batch went very fast and the heli was out of stock for more than a month. The second batch (or ver 2 as a lot of people were expecting to be called) is very stable, no motor problems or stiffness and takes off with all motors when the throttle is pushed. There is nothing written anywhere ver 2. and what I am stating are from my personal experience/observations by flying the bird. The CW end bells are white and the wires are black & white. For one more time I have to state that I am a happy camper with what I have.
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:59 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
HH makes running upgrades and changes to most of their products and rarely announces it or creates a new version. I'm with pgoelz, I think it's FET timing to the RF motor. That's the only thing that makes sense. But, if it's due to QC issues with the board or design or program problems, it's something we will probably never know.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:38 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
I do not know if it is called ver 2 or whatever but I got my second RTF version on 3/26/12. Everybody knows that the initial batch went very fast and the heli was out of stock for more than a month. The second batch (or ver 2 as a lot of people were expecting to be called) is very stable, no motor problems or stiffness and takes off with all motors when the throttle is pushed. There is nothing written anywhere ver 2. and what I am stating are from my personal experience/observations by flying the bird. The CW end bells are white and the wires are black & white. For one more time I have to state that I am a happy camper with what I have.
My point is that my 'first batch' mQX works perfectly after more than 200 flights. The motors have always spooled up & down together. It has always been rock-solid stable. So, it is quite possible that your new mQX is simply one that performs as expected - like mine is.

Remember - the majority of these quads performs as expected. It is common knowledge that forum posts are notoriously inaccurate sources for this type of info, as a very few owners show up on forums just to tell everyone how well their stuff works.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2011
980 Posts
updating

Email.
JimMcWhorter is offline Find More Posts by JimMcWhorter
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:20 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Remember - the majority of these quads performs as expected. It is common knowledge that forum posts are notoriously inaccurate sources for this type of info, as a very few owners show up on forums just to tell everyone how well their stuff works.

Joel
Agreed
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
When asked about V2 I received this mail:

Quote:
Dear Mtz

We have not heard of a Version 2 of the MQX

Regards
Horizon Hobby
www.horioznhobby.co.uk
I asked also in the same mail if in the V2 are solved the problems with motors or if I can buy from them the mQX, but silence regarding this.
For me their mail sounds a little angry and maybe because of this the hh.co.uk contain some typo mistake?

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Unfortunately, that is a VERY bad idea. In a PWM brushed motor controller, the FETs rapidly switch between fully on and fully off off and the on/off duty cycle controls the motor power. This scheme relies on the inductance of the motor winding to limit the FET current during the ON phase. Adding a capacitor across the motor would drastically increase the FET current. It would also cause very high ripple current to flow in the capacitor and probably destroy it unless the FET died first.

Paul
A later memory recall from physics books: with electric motors (brushed or non-brushed), the main limit to the FET current is the fact that the motor is spinning. The spinning motor acts as a generator, producing a "reverse" voltage ("back EMF" in my old physics books) to counter the applied voltage, lowering the current. The faster the motor spins, the more the "reverse" voltage and the lower the current. Conversely, when the motor does not spin (is stalled), there is no "reverse" voltage, so the motor draws lots of current, possibly over heating the motor or FET.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:29 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
When asked about V2 I received this mail:

I asked also in the same mail if in the V2 are solved the problems with motors or if I can buy from them the mQX, but silence regarding this.
For me their mail sounds a little angry and maybe because of this the hh.co.uk contain some typo mistake?

enjoy,
Mtz
Typo mistake? In what aspect?
One thing is that in the past, Horizon Hobby and also other companies have made changes to a model without announcing or acknowledging any "new version".
So it could be that there is no typo (that is what they meant to say), but that some changes were made.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:32 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
horioznhobby is not the same as horizonhobby

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:18 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The CW motors now have red and blue wires. I don't know that I would call that V2, but something has changed..
I know the pictures of the UM Mosquito motors have changed wire and endbell colors over time.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:19 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtz View Post
horioznhobby is not the same as horizonhobby

enjoy,
Mtz
I see it now. Thank you.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:57 PM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
905 Posts
Mine's still flying well, I bought it when they first came out and bash it around mercilessly. I've crashed it into grass and soil doing loops too low and bent one of the props, then bent it back again without breaking it and it still flies sweet. I haven't used the spare props yet that came with it. The shell is pretty knackered from all the crashes, so I usually just leave it off. I use the mQx for messing around, practicing stunts I wouldn't dare attempt with my hexacopters and for letting other people who've never flown a quad have a go.
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:13 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,850 Posts
well after about a 1 hour and 20 minute wait on the phone waiting for a horizon rep to answer, I was rewarded for my patience and was given 2 motors and a contol board as a replacement for what I have had to buy to fix mine after the control board went out on me.
Horizon seems to want to take care of thier customers. after speaking with the rep for about 10 minutes it didnt seem like he wanted to help but then he said "you havent asked for anything so how can I help". I told him i would like a credit for another product that I will most likely be buying from them in the future nothing big even a $15 coupon would be nice. that is when he told me he would send me out a replacement for 2 motors and the fc board. the guy was nice and helpfull and i will be using horizon in the future because they seem to want to help here in the states anyways.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420