HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
In many cases, two bladed props on quads are replaced with 3 bladed ones. Has anybody tried this on this quad?
I saw a description, either here or more likely over at Helifreaks. As I recall, the poster was "Heli-yeah!"
It was pretty messy, as the 3 blade props (like most non-mQx specific props) do not have a hole on the stem for a screw.
The mounting procedure that I read involved a number of extra parts and creating a screw thread on the top of the inside of the CF propeller shaft.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
The mounting procedure that I read involved a number of extra parts and creating a screw thread on the top of the inside of the CF propeller shaft.
Yikes! Threading a CF rod?!!!!!! I think I'll pass.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Yikes! Threading a CF rod?!!!!!! I think I'll pass.
Agreed who wants a Carbon splinter that will last you a life time
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,013 Posts
Micro burst ?

i was flying/hovering her @ around 25-30 feet high with 50% throttle and all of a sudden I saw her coming straight down without me cutting the throttle. I increased the throttle to 80% but still was coming faster down. She gradually gained height before reaching 10 feet from the ground. There was a very slight breeze and no leaf movement, clear skies and around 82F. That was a close call. May be a small micro burst? Has anybody else expereined such a situation?
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,764 Posts
As we are prone to say in industry, it was FM ( Magic).
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:35 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
i was flying/hovering her @ around 25-30 feet high with 50% throttle and all of a sudden I saw her coming straight down without me cutting the throttle. I increased the throttle to 80% but still was coming faster down. She gradually gained height before reaching 10 feet from the ground. There was a very slight breeze and no leaf movement, clear skies and around 82F. That was a close call. May be a small micro burst? Has anybody else expereined such a situation?
I've experienced something similar on occasion. It is an aerodynamic phenomenon specific to rotorcraft, called 'settling with power'. It can happen when hovering out of ground effect without maintaining precise altitude control, and while making downwind or steep, powered approaches when the airspeed drops to nearly zero.

The bird starts descending in its own rotorwash. The descent-rate increases rapidly. The rotor partially stalls. The pilot adds power, but the descent-rate continues to increase. The rotor-stall spreads outward from the hub, which further increases the sink-rate. The rotor(s) start to make the stalled-prop sound - like the sound an airplane's prop makes during a power-on tailslide. If left unchecked, this can rapidly progress to vortex ring state. Cyclic control may be dramatically reduced or lost. The rotorcraft may pitch & roll as it decends. On multi-rotor craft, one or more rotors will usually stall before the others, which causes lateral stability problems. The rotor states are in constant flux. The aircraft sort of flutters on the way down, as the controller fights to keep the bird upright.

Most high-performance RC rotorcraft have enough power on tap to muscle their way out of the situation on thrust alone - provided that it is not allowed to progress to vortex ring state. The quickest way out is to gain forward airspeed as soon as the first symptoms are detected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:39 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Thanks for sharing Joel
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
New micro quad

Looks like there is another micro quad just come on the market.

CLICK
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,013 Posts
Thanks very much Joel for the explanation. Always getting older but wiser
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post

CLICK
Very nice find. I like the + orientation color. Very competitive to Q. Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post

CLICK
That looks like a rebadged Walkera UFO8#. That means the UFO#8 is no longer current. Walkera rebadges "old" technology to Buzz Flyer, Banana Hobby, Exceed and others. I had one, nothing special performance-wise. Kind of flies like an HBFP. Quad control boards and multiple axis gyros have improved a lot since this bird was introduced.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 29, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I think you could be right never noticed this one before as i dont look at the Walkera stuff
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2005
22 Posts
Got my MQX late Feb. 2012. Two black top motors went out this month. I don't think I've used it excessively or treated it badly. Here's what Horizon has said:

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.

These are brushed motors. They will need replacing. As the brushed motor is used the internal bushes will ewear down. When this happens it will get a loss of rpm, motor might get hot and shut down. This is normal it is not a defect in the motors. We replaced it donce as a courtesy. You will have to replace the motors out -of-pocket.
The motors are on backorder. When the come into stock they will be shipped to you at no charge
matefrio is offline Find More Posts by matefrio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That looks like a rebadged Walkera UFO8#. That means the UFO#8 is no longer current. Walkera rebadges "old" technology to Buzz Flyer, Banana Hobby, Exceed and others. I had one, nothing special performance-wise. Kind of flies like an HBFP. Quad control boards and multiple axis gyros have improved a lot since this bird was introduced.
Thanks Balr14. Already is out of my must check list. Any info regarding the Parkzone Quad?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,764 Posts
Materfrio, in one sentence it says you will have to pay for them out of pocket and in the next it says they will ship the motors to you at no charge. Shouldn't the third grader writing that be in class?