R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
Intersting

If it works then use it I guess

What about silicone spray of tri flo?

I've used whatever oil come with some electrical shavers/trimmers
Very thin like creeping oil; if I knew what it was I'd buy a whole bunch.

I've used it to free up motors before and it works wonders on bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
You are correct..... WD-40 is not a true lubricant and is not suitable for bearing lubrication. But it seems to have very useful properties for restoring mildly fading brushed motors with wiper brushes.

1. WD-40 DOES contain a lubricant. If you let a small quantity evaporate, there is a very thin oily residue that remains. Do the experiment. We are not using it as a bearing lube. We are using it to clean and lightly lube the otherwise inaccessible brushes

2. The lubricant in WD-40 is dissolved in a carrier, giving it powerful penetrating properties. Because it penetrates, it will wick into the "sealed" ends of the CW motors with black end bells where other thicker solutions will not. When it penetrates into the end of the motor, it also carries in the small amount of lube which seems to help the wiper brushes.

3. Whatever solvent is used in WD-40 seems to help clean the wiper brushes and comm of small motors. It has revived both of my failing CW motors..... one is still OK and the other finally started getting permanently weak and I replaced it.

Got a better idea? I'm all ears. Trouble is that other potentially useful products that I am aware of are way too thick to get into the sealed end of the CW motor.

Paul
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. This is not a dead horse until HH acknowledges the issue and comes up with a fix that allows the CW motors to last as long as the CCW motors OR drops the price of replacement motors so the cost is trivial. At $10 each (or $9), it is definitely not a trivial cost. Especially compared to what I suspect the motors cost THEM.

In the mean time I think it serves a useful purpose to continue beating the sick horse, just to keep the issue in view.

When I called them to complain about a premature CW motor failure, they said they were unaware of the issue. Now it sounds like at least some reps will admit to it.

In the mean time, I plan on visiting the LHS tomorrow and picking up a couple CCW motors to try as CW motor replacements. Based on my testing of my four motors, they do not seem to be consistently timed for the desired direction of rotation, and I have a hunch they will be fine. But I want to do the experiment.

Paul
Thanks Paul, I work really hard seven days a week if I have to. The response on the motor issue was un-warranted. I have fishing poles that cost more than any top-end heli or quad. These are my toys. I just have an expectation that a certain product will perform regardless of cost. If they sell it at a certain price then make it work. When a motor fails after a 4 minute hover in my living room the a problem does exist. I am on a forum for a 140.00 quad and my post was not out of line. I totally agree that if you sell it make it work. I can't find those motors anywhere but I hope they replace my damn toy quick. The funny thing is I just found a BNF at a hole in the wall shop and I bought it. WHOO-HO. Now I turn my sights towards a big-boy quad with probably zero parts availability and will deal with that knowing full well that I'm dealing with an exotic and esoteric 1000.00 TOY.
stablehover is offline Find More Posts by stablehover
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:15 PM
New Castle. IN
Joined Mar 2008
71 Posts
I replaced one off my black and white wired motors with a solo pro motor and it is working great now but the other black and white wired is going out now so going to have to change it now but so far so good with the solo pro motor
orvl_147 is offline Find More Posts by orvl_147
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvl_147 View Post
I replaced one off my black and white wired motors with a solo pro motor and it is working great now but the other black and white wired is going out now so going to have to change it now but so far so good with the solo pro motor
Tell us about that solo-pro motor if it works I will not even send mine back. A part number or source would be great thank you.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablehover View Post
Now I turn my sights towards a big-boy quad with probably zero parts availability and will deal with that knowing full well that I'm dealing with an exotic and esoteric 1000.00 TOY.
Trouble with that plan is that you will feel a LOT worse when you crash a $1000 machine

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Trouble with that plan is that you will feel a LOT worse when you crash a $1000 machine

Paul
Totally agree but think how fast that thing will go in to take the dirt nap. I just want one that does not require computer skills to fly. upgrades etc. etc. If Blade would realize that the market exists for the semi-quality or higher product it would make my life simple
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Totally agree but think how fast that thing will go in to take the dirt nap. I just want one that does not require computer skills to fly. upgrades etc. etc. If Blade would realize that the market exists for the semi-quality or higher product it would make my life simple
Actually I'm pretty sure Eflite knows the market very well. They tested the waters with the MQX and with the exception of the CW motor issue, it seems to be an unqualified success. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a followup quad from them, slightly larger, brushless, and possibly with optional add-ons like position and altitude hold, camera, etc. They would be silly not to do it.

The only question might be whether they are interested in the mid to upper end market. The volume might not be there.

So if you want plug and play, I'd just wait a bit. The current crop of larger quads do require some skills to set them up. Not rocket science, but more than the zero setup MQX.

I also hear the new version of the Parrot has some cool upgrades too, like a better camera and downlink. And it is kinda plug and play.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Stablehover: try Gaui 330x or Naza, no major computer skills needed but you will perhaps need a computer. There's plenty of options for more serious quads. LINK

Regarding 'The response on the motor issue was un-warranted' - I've read every page of this thread since the beginning. This has been going on since around then. I never said your post was out of line, those are your words, not mine. It's just getting old.

I realize some of us are more flush with cash than others but your complaints are really better directed directly at HH, or you could make a thread for this issue and talk about it all day long, set up a chat line.

I think Horizon knows exactly how many people have had issues compared with how many units they have sold and maybe one day they will lower the price (again). There's just more to do than complain on a forum over and over again about the same issue. I'm sure there are way more completely satisfied customers (myself included) than people grumbling about burnt out motors.

BTW it was my CCW motor that went out, as well as others. I don't think you have a good enough pool of stats to accurately say whether or not it's the CCW or CW motors that have gone out more frequently. If your method is taking a tally of those who take the time to chime in on this forum, I'd say your stats are virtually meaningless.

There will be a time when HH decides if the issue needs correcting or not, and it will likely not have anything to do with this forum. Yes, they do read the words here but I think they have more accurate ways of keeping metrics on what is going on, that's their business and they seem to do it pretty well despite some fantastic blunders I've seen in the past. (mCPx recall for blade grips comes to mind).

I try to be helpful when I have the chance and I even said I was not trying to knock anyone in particular in my original post, it's just getting old. The 'swell guy' sarcasm was totally uncalled for BTW and only served to catch my ire.

You can use this forum to have fun and meet up with others who are having fun with their mQx, answer some questions here and there or you can use it as you personal platform to rail against HH. Occupy HH, fight the power.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Last edited by egaus; Mar 14, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
BTW it was my CCW motor that went out, as well as others. I don't think you have a good enough pool of stats to accurately say whether or not it's the CCW or CW motors that have gone out more frequently. If your method is taking a tally of those who take the time to chime in on this forum, I'd say your stats are virtually meaningless.
Just my 2 cents.... I agree that what is on the forums doesn't necessarily represent how prevalent the issue with the motors is, since as many have pointed out here and elsewhere those most likely to post about bad motors are those who had bad motors But I recently needed to get a replacement, and finding one especially at the same cost they were a couple weeks ago was a lot harder.

Also after visiting at least half a dozen retailers online and browsing Ebay I noticed that not only was it much harder to find them in stock, it was consistently the CW that was most likely to be out of stock, or on some sites that actually give an exact figure or indication of how many are in stock, it was consistently the CW that was closer to being out of stock.

To be fair some of the increase in out of stock motors is likely just due to the mqx selling quickly thus more replacements being ordered, obviously at a quicker pace then many retailers can get them from suppliers. But factor in that this is a relatively new product and it seems to me that it is unusual that you'd have this much of a run on a particular part for replacement if there wasn't an issue. Also the popularity, or inability to stock replacement motors to keep up with demand doesn't negate that there seems to be significantly more demand for the cw motor thus indicating a real issue.

Again to be fair my own observations, even when coupled with the anecdotal evidence on the forums doesn't constitute "proof", but basically IMO at least...given all that rambling above, I think it is a real and relevant issue. There are a lot of dead horses in this thread, whats one more?

dmarksvr is offline Find More Posts by dmarksvr
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
269 Posts
Quote:
One thing nice about the higher end quads is that the components can be switched out for others of varying brands...hell if you can't get frame parts you can mount your kk, naza or quadrino on an entirely different frame. Cant get that motor or esc anymore cuz the company went out of business?...choose from the 100 others from a 100 other companies that will work. Need props cause you busted 2 dozen, but DJI folded due to a super volcano taking out the entire pacific rim?... try another prop that is 8x4.5...dozens to choose from, though to be fair if Asia gets buried under lava or ends up a crater we are going to have sourcing troubles for just about everything

I don't know why I'm bothering since I recently lost my job and it will be awhile before I can likely upgrade to a higher end quad, but been doing the research none the less and to me for the arf, or rtf crowd witespy and dji naza 330/450 looks like the most bang for the buck. I originally leaned towards the guai but for not much more money you seem to get a lot more from the naza and witespy especially with a whitespy running the newest quadrino board assuming no serious issues (at least no more then what naza might have) don't surface after its been in the wild for awhile. It looks like some great bang for your buck.

I'd really like to see the new quadrino sold by witespy mounted to a dji flamewheel frame. Maybe I've missed it and am wrong, but from what I've seen they look pretty indestructible. I wouldn't say the witespy frame looks fragile but its increased complexity and a lot of carbon fiber gives me the impression that it is more likely to take more damage, more often. To be fair it looks like repairing minor damage wouldn't be to hard, where as if something breaks on the flamewheel it MIGHT be more likely you'll have to replace the entire arm.

I would say gaui too, but you don't get auto level or altitude hold do you? The witespy and naza aren't to much more and seem to have plenty of power and acrobatic potential...as much if not more then the gaui from what I've seen, along with the relaxed flying and capability altitude and auto level add. That guy TNT posted vids of his gaui with the quadrino zoom board, and it is sweet, but if you add the cost of the quadrino onto the cost of the gaui 330 you are near or over what a witespy or naza flamewheel would cost, so why do it? From the vids I didn't see it doing anything that a witespy or naza wouldn't do nearly as well, as well or maybe even better. (No offense tnt if you read this, love your posts man!)

So those are my top 2 upgrade choices. Tons of other good options but those with the exception of the guai seem to offer most everything you could want in the most plug and play packages at a reasonable cost, comparable to the gaui even which just isn't as capable out of the box.

Oh I'd also like to see a mini/micro brushless quad with auto level/altitude hold that is arf, or rtf for around 200-250. Preferably considerably smaller then even the MQX then I could have my tiny inside quad and my bad ass outside quad. I might even pay that for one that is just smaller then the mqx and brushless, no auto level or alt hold.
Last edited by dmarksvr; Mar 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:45 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Well put.

I like the Quadrino. The Naza/Flamewheel tempted me also but I actually like the complexity of the computers and upgradability of my board. MultiWii 2.0 is going to be released soon. DJI updates firmware occasionally I believe.

Back to the mQx. I'm certain we all agree on one thing, the motors kinda suck.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Well put.

I like the Quadrino. The Naza/Flamewheel tempted me also but I actually like the complexity of the computers and upgradability of my board. MultiWii 2.0 is going to be released soon. DJI updates firmware occasionally I believe.

Back to the mQx. I'm certain we all agree on one thing, the motors kinda suck.

e
I hear ya... I just want a tight flying quad with easy setup. I am interested in the tech side but mostly in cosmetic/lighting mods and fpv, and maybe osd telemetry. I want my platform to be easy to build, if not built already and easy to fix, preferably robust enough it won't need fixing...or if so usually only minor fixing...then I can have fun doing all kinds of mad scientist crap to it.

I can totally get the appeal though for those that are into programming, or tweaking various settings and all that, or experimenting with new frame designs/types...and those trying to push their machine to the very edge of its flying capability, or extend it. It will be awhile if ever before I could even push the mqx to its edge with my piloting skillz. Give me autolevel and altitude hold!...turning while maintaining altitude is hard for me
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:15 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,017 Posts
They'll likely make a larger BL MQX, more of a sports flyer vs camera plateform I bet

Or

They could go smaller as well.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,951 Posts
Quote:
........In the mean time, I plan on visiting the LHS tomorrow and picking up a couple CCW motors to try as CW motor replacements. Based on my testing of my four motors, they do not seem to be consistently timed for the desired direction of rotation, and I have a hunch they will be fine. But I want to do the experiment.

Paul
Paul,

I am very interested in your results. The topic of rotation direction has been discussed at length in the PZ Mosquito & Solo Pro/Bravo SX upgrade threads. The consensus was that they are neutrally-timed, as your testing also shows. However, the mechanical arrangement of the brushes in the L & R Mossie motors were reversed. If motor longevity is the same regardless of rotation, the Solo Pro motor may be a good long-lasting, slightly more powerful replacement. They have been well-proven in the PZ UM planes. Also, the Bravo SX motor is good for a 40% increase in thrust over the UM P-51-style motor when both are running high-quality cells & 5043 props. Assuming the brick could handle the current, I wonder how AS3X would handle a 40% increase in available thrust.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:08 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Im usually an airplane parkflyer/UM person, but been following the MQX closely and just bought one online today. I would like to say about the motors, they are the same as used in HH's 1s micros, running them past 7 minutes without a rest is asking for short life. Also, im sure these motors have alot less cooling than many of the UMs. The stock 500mah is good for 12 minute flight times.
So I would don't run it the whole length of the battery at once. Fly it for five minutes. Give it 30 sec/minute to chill out, then fly the rest of the battery. Alot of the damage to the motors is probably done in the last 5 minutes of the flights when the motors have been working hard and haven't had a break.
Without pushing them for longer than seven minutes, we expect the motors in our UMs to last an average of 100 flights.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower