HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:17 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
280 Posts
Here is some video of my MQX from a recent indoor fly in we had.

Indoor Flying (15 min 15 sec)
jedoug is offline Find More Posts by jedoug
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:35 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
I have yet to complete 15 flights on this fun quad, guess what happened?
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:43 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I stuck a keychain camera to the bottom of my mQX today and flew it around my front yard. The video quality isn't perfect, and it's not my best video, but I sure had fun making it. Enjoy!
Looks good! You can eliminate most, if not all, of the vibration-induced rolling shutter (Jello wiggle) effect by carefully balancing all four props. I put each prop on a prop balancer and balance with a piece of clear Scotch tape on the under side. Makes for real smooth video.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:57 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Looks good! You can eliminate most, if not all, of the vibration-induced rolling shutter (Jello wiggle) effect by carefully balancing all four props. I put each prop on a prop balancer and balance with a piece of clear Scotch tape on the under side. Makes for real smooth video.

Paul
Hi Paul, yup, that's on my to-do list after watching the video. I'm sure bashing into the light pole didn't help but this thing sure is durable. I have to re-balance the prop on my FPV EasyStar as there some shaking in that camera too. Thanks for the tip!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:36 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post

Paul
Keyfob (CMOS) camera shutter activity..
Be careful what is in the field of view....
http://youtu.be/-LGmT7tb0F8
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Mar 07, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:22 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
You crashed, stalled a motor, and now it won't turn?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:45 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:

You decided to stop flying and play childish games with the forum members.
It might have been better to conduct a poll with a few random choices.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Here is a video from last Fridays indoor fly night. Right at the start is my Q caught up in the ceiling net. Later on are some Q flips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=maoVqf_HPcg
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You crashed, stalled a motor, and now it won't turn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
You decided to stop flying and play childish games with the forum members.
It might have been better to conduct a poll with a few random choices.
Ron
You both are wrong... Yes, I have crashed it, but I have never stalled a motor. The front left motor died and its brushes is gone. Wonder what the brushes are made of?

Anybody know where to get a new one without paying $20? Preferably close to Norway.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
When will people realize that if you crash an aircraft, all bets are off? You have no idea what kind of damage your little crash caused. It very well could knock the brushes off the motor and you don't know it didn't. By all means, buy a new motor. I don't think your experience indicates any problem with the design. The microphotographs and other information that has been posted indicates a problem with the design, but the complaining really doesn't.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
You both are wrong... Yes, I have crashed it, but I have never stalled a motor. The front left motor died and its brushes is gone. Wonder what the brushes are made of?

Anybody know where to get a new one without paying $20? Preferably close to Norway.
Hi kapteinkuk !

They are referred to as Precious Metal Brushes.

The composition is mostly Silver/copper, and minute amounts of silicon in the alloy for hardness.

They are used in low volt motors because of very low contact resistance compared to sintered copper/carbon brushes.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
When will people realize that if you crash an aircraft, all bets are off? You have no idea what kind of damage your little crash caused. It very well could knock the brushes off the motor and you don't know it didn't. By all means, buy a new motor. I don't think your experience indicates any problem with the design. The microphotographs and other information that has been posted indicates a problem with the design, but the complaining really doesn't.
It has nothing to do with mechanical shock (ie. crashing) or stalling the motor, (the contact resistance is so low, that there is NO heating at the contact structure).

If stalled with power applied, the FET will burn first.

Also, in a stalled condition, if more than one motor is stalled (ie. lands upside down with throttle still applied), the overcurrent protection will operate to protect the device.

The reason for these early failures, as I have shown with actual evidence and not just speculation, is the failure of the vendor of certain lots of parts to lubricate the brushes.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
It has nothing to do with mechanical shock (ie. crashing) or stalling the motor, (the contact resistance is so low, that there is NO heating at the contact structure).
The specific failure you detailed in the photos happens without crashing, but that does not change the fact that a crash CAN do unknown serious damage to the motor, and you probably won't know you broke the motor until it fails.

Quote:
The reason for these early failures, as I have shown with actual evidence and not just speculation, is the failure of the vendor of certain lots of parts to lubricate the brushes.
I thought you also said there was a flaw in the tensioner?
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
The specific failure you detailed in the photos happens without crashing, but that does not change the fact that a crash CAN do unknown serious damage to the motor, and you probably won't know you broke the motor until it fails.

I thought you also said there was a flaw in the tensioner?
My old post...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2869

It is not a flaw in the "elastic blocks" that are found in only some of the motors. The blocks were added in an attempt to address speculation that excessive "contact bounce" was responsible for premature failure due to "arc erosion". The blocks had the unintended effect of applying even more pressure at the contact interface, where, without lubrication, the "soft" metallurgy inherent in precious metal alloys (silver being the majority element) allows rapid mechanical wear.

Look back through my prior posts where I have links to the recommended lubrication (Ecco industries) that is used by some vendors.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3298

In the past few days I have received sample motors from offshore vendors chosen at random that met my specifications which I felt were close, if not exact, to the motors used in the mQX.

As time allows, I will evaluate these for durability. I specified to the vendors that they make sure to provide samples that have been constructed using the commonly sourced lubricants in the industry. Right now, I gotta git out and enjoy the warm, but windy, afternoon. It's gonna be kites or wings...but somthin's goin up!!
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
WD40 in the top or bottom (pinion side) for best mileage?

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus