HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:02 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
I can confirm that the Specktrum DM8 will work on the Hitech just fine.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:05 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toywizard View Post
ahh
I also have a Hitec Eclipse 7 that might.
At the moment I have a spectra synthesized unit in it so I can fly any 72 channel but can I buy a module that replaces that so I can fly my MQX with it?

You mentioned the "mQX receivers", are they special or only special in the fact that only Spectrum TX units can bind with em ?
You can use the Spectrum DM8 on the Hitec Eclipse 7 and it works fine, I let my buddy use my module in his all the time. They run around $80 to $100 New.

My first one burned out in 2 days and I had to send it in but got a new one back that works fine, I then bought a spare from a user on here for $50 shipped.

Mo.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
687 Posts
I keep hoping hitec will do a module for aroura 9...
boxhead530 is offline Find More Posts by boxhead530
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:30 AM
Motto - fly it, crash it = fun
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalkhof View Post
[CENTER]Just wanted to share
This MQX is an amazing little bird!

Link to vid a few pics
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1589171&page=3
That is a GREAT creation. I've to know where you found the items to make that setup......LOL
fs2flyer is online now Find More Posts by fs2flyer
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:58 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalkhof View Post
Just wanted to share.
I'm new to quads and just received my MQX about two weeks ago. I flew the MQX in stock form for about a week and then decided to experiment a bit. The total flying weight of my little experiment is 90 grams. The craft will hover around 50% throttle. I have about 15 full flights on this thing. It flies better outside, in calm air, than inside a room (as seen in the vid). I think because of the increased weight and extra thrust required to fly, a bunch of air gets kicked around in an enclosed space. Anyway, even with the increased load, no motor failure yet - knock on wood

This MQX is an amazing little bird!

Link to vid a few pics
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1589171&page=3
very, very nice
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
Mentor, Ohio
Joined Dec 2004
89 Posts
Alien

Thanks for the positive comments!

The Alien and control panel were from a plastic model kit called "Alpha Centauri U.F.O" by Pegasus Hobbies. I scratch built the seat and podium that holds the control panel. The egg is actually a very old LEGS pantyhose container. I just used a dab of super glue to mount the seat to the PCB.

I've been flying the thing around the house this morning. She doesn't handle that bad once you get used to it. I don't think I'll be doing any rolls with this though...
ckalkhof is offline Find More Posts by ckalkhof
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:02 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
........I gotta tell ya, I've been flying all three (Hyp, 12c no name $2.49, Eflite stock) and if you have not yet invested in a charger that can provide the accelerated charge rate of the Hyps, and you only have the included charger, the low cost no names at less than half the price of the hyps are the way to go
I won't put up with LiPos that fade away in only 50 cycles or so. I'll stick with the 300+ cycles I get from my Hyperions before they even start to fade. Also, the 25% increase in thrust is very noticeable in flight. And I surely wouldn't use a 1c charger. I have much better things to do with my time than babysit LiPos all day. I charge my Hyperions @ 5c and I charge my latest Thunder Power 65c packs @ 12c.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I won't put up with LiPos that fade away in only 50 cycles or so. I'll stick with the 300+ cycles I get from my Hyperions before they even start to fade. Also, the 25% increase in thrust is very noticeable in flight. And I surely wouldn't use a 1c charger. I have much better things to do with my time than babysit LiPos all day. I charge my Hyperions @ 5c and I charge my latest Thunder Power 65c packs @ 12c.

Joel
At $5.99 each for the Hyperions, they don't exactly break the bank to begin with, they end up actually being the cheapest over the life of a model being you don't need to replace all your packs every few months( or couple weeks with the E-flite 500mah packs), the fact that the Hyperions hold more voltage under load, and can charge at 5C is just icing on the cake. I have a 200W that will charge up to 10A, along with a 4 xJST harness, I can charge 4 hyperions at a time at the full 5C, takes all of 15 minutes to fill them up, and stay in the air, definitely an advantage over 1C packs that would take an hour or more to charge. Nowadays 12C packs that only charge at 1C are pretty much obsolete.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
122 Posts
Guys, this morning I was flying at my local park, and a freaking hummingbird swooped in on me to "investigate" my MQX at about 40 feet in the air. It flew right next to it about 4 times, and just hovered next to it, then it'd dart away, then dart back again, looking at it. I was SO PISSED that I didn't have my video glasses on to catch that! From now on, whenever I fly at the park, I will bring, and film with my glasses, as I now see, you never know what you might catch on video!
the desolate one is offline Find More Posts by the desolate one
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:57 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
just got a used MQX off the for sale forums and I have flown a Gaui 330x, Multiwiicopter.com Scarab X4, Hoverfly Pro Y-6 and now this little guy...

the MQX is a blast, 0 setup, no gain controls.... just go out and fly! i was flying in 15mph wind gusts today and it was a blast, a little oscillations in that high of wind but it is quick and has basically 0 gyro drift.

Nice job HH
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
I have considered your question about some sort of timing difference, but don't see this as a possibility because the four switches (FETs)are not separate, they run off of a common clock. Are you referring to some other timing?
I was referring to the motor (ie., brush) timing. Just wondering if it is not exactly equal but opposite to the CCW motors. Since they are subtly different internally, it may be that they were not originally intended to be complimentary and are therefore not timed the same amount away from neutral in each direction.

The other thing I wanted to check out but have not yet is the waveform at the motor in case something like the snubbing is not the same for the CW motors vs. the CCW. I just can't buy that it is a coincidence that the RF motor has a much higher failure rate than the identical LR motor.

OK, enough procrastination. I'm off to take a look at timing and waveform. Be back soon.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
I was referring to the motor (ie., brush) timing. Just wondering if it is not exactly equal but opposite to the CCW motors. Since they are subtly different internally, it may be that they were not originally intended to be complimentary and are therefore not timed the same amount away from neutral in each direction.

The other thing I wanted to check out but have not yet is the waveform at the motor in case something like the snubbing is not the same for the CW motors vs. the CCW. I just can't buy that it is a coincidence that the RF motor has a much higher failure rate than the identical LR motor.

OK, enough procrastination. I'm off to take a look at timing and waveform. Be back soon.

Paul
Sorry to jump in on this thread, are u the same pgoelz that used to have a web site for the old piccolo micro heli?
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Sorry to jump in on this thread, are u the same pgoelz that used to have a web site for the old piccolo micro heli?
That be me It is still there although I doubt many read it any more.

Paul
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Quote:

Paul
Yo Paul!

Ok, I assumed you might be referring to "timing" at the commutator. Although I did not image the one failed CCW motor I personally opened and examined, the only difference I am sure of was the direction of the brushes.

I can't say I recall the direction of the "skew" of the windings, but that should also be opposite. Since the five segments of the commutators are the same, and the brushes contact ideally 180 degrees apart at a single point, the motor timing should be the same in to order to output the same rotational force CW or CCW.

Do you have a scope with at least 4 channels to probe and display the signal at each FET driver? This should show common clock.

Oh, I forgot to add that on my #1 quad, it was the left rear CW that failed. Front right still good.

These are images for reference CW wind.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Last edited by Stresscracked; Feb 25, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to add ....
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2000
946 Posts
Quote:

Paul
OK, I'm back. The results are interesting.

First, what I mean by "timing" is the amount the brushes are skewed away from the point where the motor draws the same current in either direction. As I understand it, a motor that is "timed" for its intended direction of rotation is more efficient than one that is neutrally timed and therefore suitable for use in either direction. A motor that is not neutrally timed will draw more current in the direction opposite the direction of intended use.

At 1VDC (unloaded), the current drawn by my four motors is as follows:

CW motors:
Right Front (- to green, forward rotation) = 47.4mA
Right Front (+ to green, reverse rotation) = 48.0mA

Left Rear (- to green, forward rotation) = 52.2mA
Left Rear (+ to green, reverse rotation) = 58.6mA

CCW motors:
Left Front (- to green, forward rotation) = 35.7mA
Left Front (+ to green, reverse rotation) = 34.3mA

Right Rear (- to green, forward rotation) = 31.5mA
Right Rear (+ to green, reverse rotation) = 37.0mA

Doesn't look to me like the motors are timed for a specific rotation. If they are, the amount is inconsistent and/or swamped by other effects such as friction. The CW motors DO draw more current running unloaded, but I cannot be sure that is not due to higher friction at the commutator due to wear or my WD-40 treatments.

Of my two CW motors, I do note that the one that looks like it is neutrally timed is the one that started to fail first. The one that seems to show some evidence of timing is also failing but it took longer.

I did not actually measure RPM but the CCW motors seem to run faster (unloaded) on the same 1V test voltage. Again, friction effects? They do take longer to spin down.

All four motors sounded like they ran about the same speed in either direction.

Makes me wonder what would happen if we used the CCW motors in all four positions and just plugged them in backwards.

As for the waveform, I looked at the RF and LF motor drive voltage at low throttle, driving the props. The waveform was basically identical on both but while the LF motor drive looked clean, the RF motor drive looked like the duty cycle was not totally consistent. When driven at (approx.) 10% duty cycle, it looked like there were occasional random pulses past 50%, and by random amounts. I only have two hands, my test probes are physically too big and I don't have a storage scope so I could not look closer. It is possible that I was seeing the effects of bad commutation in the motor, but I don't think so.

So that's the report for now. I am very tempted to buy a spare CCW motor and use it plugged in backwards when the first CW motor finally gives up.

Paul
Last edited by pgoelz; Feb 25, 2012 at 03:37 PM.