HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHandsome99 View Post
Here is a quick walk through on how I installed a night flying light setup on my Blade mQX quad copter for less than $10. Enjoy and Keep on Flying!
How much weight does it add? (Sorry got my speakers off - if you said it in your vid I didn't hear it)

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
I already have my MQX, just haven't maidened her as I am still waiting for my TX to arrive on Friday. The issue is that I will be using the Futaba 9C Super TX with Spektrum module. I have heard that when using a 'Spektrumized' TX like the Futaba 9C, some or all of the channels have to be reversed.
I have a 9C with Spektrum module and yes, typically the throttle channel needs to be reversed (I'm not sure about the mQX as I have it set up on my DX-7). As others mentioned, remove the props for testing as a safety measure. The mQX won't arm if it doesn't detect zero throttle, so after you bind it try to blip the throttle and if nothing happens then unplug the batt, reverse the throttle channel and try again. As for the other channels, test the stick movements on the bench to see if it reacts right (before putting the props back on).
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Just a reminder, the propshafts drop out without the prop on.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Normally you have to reverse the throttle channel with Futaba because of the way the ESC is programmed. Unless someone using Futaba speaks up, I would have someone hold it while you bind it. Or, mark the propeller orientation and take them off. If it's backwards, all that will happen is the motors will wind up to full throttle. I used to do this while setting up helis after learning the hard way.
Futaba has the throttle stick on channel 3.
JR/Spektrum have the throttle stick on channel 1.
Receivers can be plugged up to suit.
Dunno about the hardwired stuff, or if the module corrects that.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHandsome99 View Post
Here is a quick walk through on how I installed a night flying light setup on my Blade mQX quad copter for less than $10. Enjoy and Keep on Flying!

Eric Jordon
Around Tuit RC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TeA9RHUtpU
Great one. I should try it. Thanks
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
I got my 3 Hyperions today. The E-Flite batteries I have must have swelled because the Hyperions fit into the battery holder very loose.

I can tell a small bit of difference in thrust with the Hyperions. When going up full throttle it moves pretty quick but it goes a little crazy as if one motor is cutting out for a split second. I've hit the ground so many times with the MQX and had so much fun with it that I don't even care anymore, if I need to buy a new one I will and just chalk this first one up to a learning experience. Any other quad that I bought would have been destroyed 50 crashes ago
LooseScrew is offline Find More Posts by LooseScrew
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrew View Post
I got my 3 Hyperions today. The E-Flite batteries I have must have swelled because the Hyperions fit into the battery holder very loose.
No they are actually a little smaller. Fold the edges out or wrap some tape around it to make it a little bigger.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
Thanks Paul: I was a Futaba fan before these dam#ed Spektrums came along( best thing that ever happened) I mentioned about the prop orientation because each prop has to be put back in the same corner it was taken off because of colour and left/right hand pitch. First heli I tried out with Futaba, setting it up on my workbench went to full throttle, blades just missing my nose crashed into the ceiling, went across to the wall and disintegrated itself into bag parts. Very respectful of electric props and rotor blades after that. Learn from my mistakes guys.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Crawley
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
I got my MQX back from Monarch Models. I sent it to them after the front right motor started playing up (at least that was what I thought was the problem). The motor would not spin up properly or not spin at all. If I gave enough throttle to lift off, it would just flip over.

They tested it and ran several minutes of batteries through it and did not have the problem at all. They completely checked the connections and found no problems.

I got it back today and it is as they said. It works just fine.

We have swapped several e-mails about this and I think it comes down to one of two possible causes. An intermittent connection problem that has 'gone away' or me not making sure the model was not moving when connecting the battery.

I can believe it was the latter problem because the MQX rocks on its canopy when lying on its back. However, when I started having this problem I connected several batteries and started using a cloth to rest the mqx on, so it wouldn't rock.

The conclusion is that I have no idea what caused the problem but I'm really glad to get it back.

Next I'm going to put LEDs on it as per Jasmines excellent tutorial vid.
Jaycanyon is offline Find More Posts by Jaycanyon
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Crawley
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
...and I must thank Monarch Models for their excellent customer service.
Jaycanyon is offline Find More Posts by Jaycanyon
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2002
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic View Post
I use the 9C with Spektrum module and I had to reverse all channels. Ask me how I found that out.
Thanks! Btw, are you using your 9C binded with the MQX with all channels reversed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I have a 9C with Spektrum module and yes, typically the throttle channel needs to be reversed (I'm not sure about the mQX as I have it set up on my DX-7). As others mentioned, remove the props for testing as a safety measure. The mQX won't arm if it doesn't detect zero throttle, so after you bind it try to blip the throttle and if nothing happens then unplug the batt, reverse the throttle channel and try again. As for the other channels, test the stick movements on the bench to see if it reacts right (before putting the props back on).
HHmm....you mention that typically only the Throttle needs to be reversed, and I think I read this on other forums before in the past, but Foamaholic in an earlier post wrote that all his channels had to be reversed. I wonder if he is just stating his experience with other models(like yourself) and not the MQX or if he did bind with all channels reversed on his MQX.

I think I would have to reverse the throttle at getgo since that seems like the consensus of everyone. Since the MQX wont arm if it does not detect zero throttle, I think it should be alright to leave the props on.....As for the other channels, it would be hard to determine if they need to be reversed until I try to fly it with props on of course ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Futaba has the throttle stick on channel 3.
JR/Spektrum have the throttle stick on channel 1.
Receivers can be plugged up to suit.
Dunno about the hardwired stuff, or if the module corrects that.
Thanks for this bit of info. I will keep this in mind when connecting other models that require a seperate RX. For the MQX, I dont think the hardwired stuff corrects anything....

Guys, again, thanks for all your support and good info!
butter_fingers is offline Find More Posts by butter_fingers
Last edited by butter_fingers; Feb 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Jan 2007
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
OK... this came out kinda long, but... I don't think I forgot anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NC2IGVWUew
Hi jasmine2501 I would just like to say thanks for the video, I followed it and all the info and got mine fitted first time and working brilliantly, by the way I am no electrician ( fuse? whats a fuse? ) This is really without doubt the best flying machine that I have either built or owned in 45 years of aeromodelling. A big thanks also to all of the people who share all of the great info on this excellent site.
glirich is offline Find More Posts by glirich
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
Thanks! Btw, are you using your 9C binded with the MQX with all channels reversed?

HHmm....you mention that typically only the Throttle needs to be reversed, and I think I read this on other forums before in the past, but Foamaholic in an earlier post wrote that all his channels had to be reversed. I wonder if he is just stating his experience with other models(like yourself) and not the MQX or if he did bind with all channels reversed on his MQX.

I think I would have to reverse the throttle at getgo since that seems like the consensus of everyone. Since the MQX wont arm if it does not detect zero throttle, I think it should be alright to leave the props on.....As for the other channels, it would be hard to determine if they need to be reversed until I try to fly it with props on of course ...

Thanks for this bit of info. I will keep this in mind when connecting other models that require a seperate RX. For the MQX, I dont think the hardwired stuff corrects anything....

Guys, again, thanks for all your support and good info!
i use a futaba 9c and spektrum module. in the futaba manual there is a portion that tells you how to reverse the throttle channel for good. I did this since I use only a spektrum module right now ,and whenever i plug in a spektrum rx i dont need to reverse the throttle stick. Also the throttle servo goes to channel 1 just like the rx says.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Thanks Paul: I was a Futaba fan before these dam#ed Spektrums came along( best thing that ever happened) I mentioned about the prop orientation because each prop has to be put back in the same corner it was taken off because of colour and left/right hand pitch. First heli I tried out with Futaba, setting it up on my workbench went to full throttle, blades just missing my nose crashed into the ceiling, went across to the wall and disintegrated itself into bag parts. Very respectful of electric props and rotor blades after that. Learn from my mistakes guys.

Gord.
I've been surprised by the channelization difference myself more than once!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,622 Posts
on page 31 of the 9c manual it gives these instructions to reverse the throttle stick and trims for all models.

NOTE: THR-REV is a special function that reverses the entire throttle control, including moving the trim functionality to the Stick’s upper half. To use THR-REV, turn off the transmitter, hold down the MODE and END keys, turn on. CURSOR DOWN to THR-REV and turn the DIAL to REV. Turn the transmitter off and back on. This change affects all models in the radio.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420