SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:29 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,911 Posts
Normally you have to reverse the throttle channel with Futaba because of the way the ESC is programmed. Unless someone using Futaba speaks up, I would have someone hold it while you bind it. Or, mark the propeller orientation and take them off. If it's backwards, all that will happen is the motors will wind up to full throttle. I used to do this while setting up helis after learning the hard way.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
Hi Guys, got a question, hope someone here can assist.

I already have my MQX, just haven't maidened her as I am still waiting for my TX to arrive on Friday. The issue is that I will be using the Futaba 9C Super TX with Spektrum module. I have heard that when using a 'Spektrumized' TX like the Futaba 9C, some or all of the channels have to be reversed. Could someone who might be knowledgeable about this fact enlighten me? For example, I have read that someone who was flying his MSR with the Futaba 9C/Spektrum module had to reverse all the channels.....while some say that the only channel that needs to be reversed is the throttle...all the rest being the same.

I am not sure what will happen if I try flying the MQX and was supposed to reverse the throttle and didn't....would that 'reverse' throttle action be harmful to the motors?

Hopefully someone can throw some light on this question for me before I receive my TX on Friday. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer View Post
No changes required on my JR3810 - I think you may just have to test it and see - relatively easy to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Normally you have to reverse the throttle channel with Futaba because of the way the ESC is programmed. Unless someone using Futaba speaks up, I would have someone hold it while you bind it. Or, mark the propeller orientation and take them off. If it's backwards, all that will happen is the motors will wind up to full throttle. I used to do this while setting up helis after learning the hard way.
Unless I am missing something here, "Houston I think we have a Problem"
Reversing the throttle channel does not change the rotation of the motors! It just reverses high throttle from the full up stick position to full bottom position or vs versa.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
I think taking the props off when setting up and binding is always a great idea, especially for new pilots that the MQX will attract. (actually good for all of us).
Old guy1 is offline Find More Posts by Old guy1
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
well I will say this if you hit hard on one motor mount and the quad copter only spins up 3 of the props for a split second and then they shut off. You need to unplug the battery as soon as possible.
mine did that and I was fiddling with it trying to figure the problem and the 4 in 1 board started to smoke. so my 4in1 is no more
I have ordered a new board that will be here friday. $49 for the control board is a bit high from horizon but I work for the LHS so prices are bearable.
I was ready to buy another mqx if the board was going to be here before friday. I just cant go a day without flying this little guy but I guess tomorrow I will see what happens. I do have a Paris Multiwii board sitting here begging to get in the air and i have a couple kk boards I want to try out so maybe I will get that done tomorrow.
Good morning Chad!

Could you post an image the of the failed board, using the "macro" close focus function of the camera. Most "point and shoot" digicams and camcorders have this capability. Try to use flat illumination without flash.

Images of the setup, and alternatively, if you cannot get an image, could you point to the damaged area or component in these images?

Also, you should not plug the damaged motor into the new board without testing the damaged motor. If you have a variable DC voltage output source (eg. an "N" gauge train supply with current meter if possible) connect in the proper polarity and slowly apply voltage.

Here are my measured results as a guide...

What is the speed of the rotors (RPM)?
Measured ~3660 rpm at stable hover. ~2750 rpm at lift initiation (Just getting light enough on it's feet that it will start to slide on a hard smooth surface.

What is the Amp. draw @ each motor?
Measured ~ 1.0amp @ 4.2v (Test bench regulated power supply)
Of more interest is this data.
Measured ~ .225Amp @ 2.16Vdc (Test bench regulated power supply) to get prop speed of 3660rpm.
These are my measured real world data. Brand new motor was used.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Last edited by Stresscracked; Feb 16, 2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling/words transposed
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Top O' the morn all!

I don't think flypaper meant that the motors will be reversed, just that the throttle command will be high when the throttle is low.

Most new ESC's should not allow start up in this condition, ie. "safe start" which means that there is no initialization until zero throttle is commanded.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
Fly/Drive. Crash. Repare.
USA, WA, Spokane or USA, ID, Rathdrum
Joined Mar 2010
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
Top O' the morn all.
Good morning to you too!
funrchelis is offline Find More Posts by funrchelis
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
Hi Guys, got a question, hope someone here can assist.

I already have my MQX, just haven't maidened her as I am still waiting for my TX to arrive on Friday. The issue is that I will be using the Futaba 9C Super TX with Spektrum module. I have heard that when using a 'Spektrumized' TX like the Futaba 9C, some or all of the channels have to be reversed. Could someone who might be knowledgeable about this fact enlighten me? For example, I have read that someone who was flying his MSR with the Futaba 9C/Spektrum module had to reverse all the channels.....while some say that the only channel that needs to be reversed is the throttle...all the rest being the same.

I am not sure what will happen if I try flying the MQX and was supposed to reverse the throttle and didn't....would that 'reverse' throttle action be harmful to the motors?

Hopefully someone can throw some light on this question for me before I receive my TX on Friday. Thanks!
I use the 9C with Spektrum module and I had to reverse all channels. Ask me how I found that out.
Foamaholic is online now Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
cereal killer
Joined Jan 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
Yes, I did that as a kid, and have never done it again

Getting a bit on-topic: Does the MQX fly better than the Walkera UFO#5?
I have both and am spending a lot more time with the mqx than the ufo. But I got the BNF mqx and am using it with a dx6i and chicken of the sea dr rates.

My biggest gripe with Walkera is the proprietary Tx you have to use. I also think the mxq is a lot more robust than the ufo. I have crashed the mqx lots of times and the only noticable damage is some rips in the stock canopy. The ufo has rather strange props and one of the blades ripped near the shaft when it hit a leaf on the branch of a tree. I was able to repair it with some tape, but never had any problems with the mxq props.

YMMV
anonamous is offline Find More Posts by anonamous
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:59 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
Top O' the morn all!.
...and the rest of the day to ye self!
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Aug 2010
14 Posts
Blade mQX Light Kit Setup by Around Tuit RC

Here is a quick walk through on how I installed a night flying light setup on my Blade mQX quad copter for less than $10. Enjoy and Keep on Flying!

Eric Jordon
Around Tuit RC

Blade MQX Quad Copter Night Flying Light Setup by Around Tuit RC (3 min 12 sec)
JoeHandsome99 is offline Find More Posts by JoeHandsome99
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonamous View Post
I have both and am spending a lot more time with the mqx than the ufo. But I got the BNF mqx and am using it with a dx6i and chicken of the sea dr rates.

My biggest gripe with Walkera is the proprietary Tx you have to use. I also think the mxq is a lot more robust than the ufo. I have crashed the mqx lots of times and the only noticable damage is some rips in the stock canopy. The ufo has rather strange props and one of the blades ripped near the shaft when it hit a leaf on the branch of a tree. I was able to repair it with some tape, but never had any problems with the mxq props.

YMMV
I have bent the hell out of my MQX props during hard hits to the ground, but they bend right back to normal, it's amazing.
LooseScrew is offline Find More Posts by LooseScrew
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrew View Post
I have bent the hell out of my MQX props during hard hits to the ground, but they bend right back to normal, it's amazing.
Yeah they are pretty durable! I bent one at a right angle once when i crashed, bent it back to normal and it flew like nothing happened.

Thats the one thing about this little guy...you can beat the living snot out of it and it picks itself up and comes back for more!
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Unless I am missing something here, "Houston I think we have a Problem"
Reversing the throttle channel does not change the rotation of the motors! It just reverses high throttle from the full up stick position to full bottom position or vs versa.

John
I think they were just saying make sure you put the props back on in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic View Post
I use the 9C with Spektrum module and I had to reverse all channels. Ask me how I found that out.
By doing a careful pre-flight check, as shown in the video?

Isn't it normal to do that with your setup? The only time you don't have to reverse is when you use an all-Futaba setup.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHandsome99 View Post
Here is a quick walk through on how I installed a night flying light setup on my Blade mQX quad copter for less than $10. Enjoy and Keep on Flying!

Eric Jordon
Around Tuit RC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TeA9RHUtpU
Finally got around to it, eh? Did you see this on my channel? Looks familiar

Nicely done though! I worked up a nicer set for mine last night. Takes about an hour once you learn to fiddle with the LEDs and stuff. I could probably do it faster with more practice. I used the 3mm LEDs this time except for the headlight, where I used a spotlight white LED - should look nice and be much lighter weight. I'm donating my old lights to the hobby shop's mQX.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:48 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
lol
those words always make me laugh
but I do agree
Hyperbole: 60% of the time, it works every time!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member