HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphip View Post
I have done a lot of checking...charge and discharge rates... with my Schultz charger (which I am sure is accurate and sophisticated enough to rely on the results) and I find that with 8 Storm Cells, the best I could put in or take out to LVC was 484 Mah. the worst was 310 Mah !!!!, the Hyperions came in at 569 Mah...go figure !!!

Storm aint what they say they are in the labelling and the advertising...be careful !!
I've run across the same issue with the Hobby King packs that are so popular. I tried some out to see what I was missing since everyone raves about them. The 2200's even when accidentally run to LVC never take in more than 1800. Normally I fly Thunder Power, they're more costly but their rating is genuine, I can fly a full 2200 mah out of their 2200 packs and still have room to spare. Plus they are much lighter and they give noticeably better power to the motor no doubt due to lower internal resistance. I agree with you, there's a lot of false advertising in battery packs these days, especially among the cheaper brands. Hyperions seem to be high quality though.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:41 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrew View Post
FWIW, they go for under $35 on eBay.
FWIW i get them for a good amount less than that
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
FWIW i get them for a good amount less than that
I can only assume you are telling us this because you are going to offer them to the group at a discount, correct?
LooseScrew is offline Find More Posts by LooseScrew
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I've run across the same issue with the Hobby King packs that are so popular. I tried some out to see what I was missing since everyone raves about them. The 2200's even when accidentally run to LVC never take in more than 1800. Normally I fly Thunder Power, they're more costly but their rating is genuine, I can fly a full 2200 mah out of their 2200 packs and still have room to spare. Plus they are much lighter and they give noticeably better power to the motor no doubt due to lower internal resistance. I agree with you, there's a lot of false advertising in battery packs these days, especially among the cheaper brands. Hyperions seem to be high quality though.
I agree. I fly Hyperion & Thunder Power in all of my larger electrics. But you're not supposed to discharge LiPos beyond 80%, which would be 1760 mAh on a 2200. How many cycles are you getting before performance starts to fall off?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,761 Posts
lol i wish everyone was an employee so we could all get the good deals
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:38 PM
Registered User
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hey Stress,

That's funny, I've got a lot of plane and helis that aren't building themselves too so I guess it's pretty common.

I'm getting so good feedback on the Naza so that's where I'm leaning right now.

I know this is off topic so I'll post under DJI when I get it built.

However, I'm also interested in the Bee Gee as I'm taken with this AS3X tech for fun little toys.

Thanks,
-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
Yo paul !

That's what I thought. I actually set up a + config quad with 4 $12.00 401 clones.

It flew ok, much like a very agile 3D plank. I had to be "on" the controls 100%.
Of course, rudder authority was the primary issue that I achieved somewhat via mixing in the radio.

Actually, I recently got the HK controller, I have piled all the motors, ESC's, frame and connectors in a heap and are waiting for them to self-assemble.

Has not happened yet. I think I will put the soldering iron in the pile tonite and see what happens.

I have no personal experience with Hoverfly, but the ~$225 sport is what I would recommend, as the price really pays for the promise of Plug and Play support.

http://www.hoverflytech.com/controllers.html
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Thanks Naza. I think I'll do just that. I'll put it on my own frame with my pick of motors and ESCs so I can experiment a little bit but will listen to recommendations if there are any out there. I like the simplicity of a quad with the counter rotating blades providing the yaw control.

Thanks,
-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
@pthompson24

Buy the Naza. You will really like it. I don't know how much you have to spend, but I would consider the kit rather than a DIY quad with a Naza controller. If you haven't done a lot of building, the motor/esc combinations can give you indigestion.
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
Registered User
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Thanks Blucross, I think I will go in that direction. I remember being blown away the first time I saw a demo video from DJI. And they have high end products I can move to if these quads take off for me so to speak.

Thanks,
-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross View Post
+1 on this. I recently lost my Quad w/ Naza..it literally flew away but that was due to a faulty Tx module and some wonky failsafe behavior.

Overall the Naza is amazing for the money and nothing in the price range comes close. Put it this way, mine flew away and I am still getting another.
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I agree. I fly Hyperion & Thunder Power in all of my larger electrics. But you're not supposed to discharge LiPos beyond 80%, which would be 1760 mAh on a 2200. How many cycles are you getting before performance starts to fall off?

Joel
These are 4s packs, on typical flights I discharge to around 1800. I discharged over 2200 once when I estimated wrong on my timer on a new EDF, the interesting thing was that there was zero dropoff in power, after the flight I thought I'd be putting 1800 to 1900 back in and was floored when it took in over 2200 (I adjusted my timer down after that!) I underestimated based on my first flight, it was a slower flight that I spent trimming. I looked at what went back in and adjusted my timer up, but when I firewalled it more on the next flight it chewed up the amps a lot quicker! A couple of other times I had to do more than one go-round and with a high powered EDF one go-round can discharge 100-150 mah, so a couple can run the pack down pretty far. Normally I get it down on the first pass, but there are always those interesting moments when you're on final and someone decides to land their Slow Stick across the runway and walk out to get it even after you've called it Anyway, it's nice to know the capacity is there in the TPs if it's ever needed. I don't have that luxury in the cheap HK packs and so moved them to less amp hungry applications.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:49 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,033 Posts
Finally had the MQX indoors tonight in the large gym with my new hyperions

Since I have moved the front right motor, to the rear left, my full throttle odd banking out of control behavior is gone. Pretty much straight up on full throttle.

Once everyone cleared out at the end of the night I had a blast flying her in FFF doing nice banked corners - she did not fly properly prior to motor swap, but she does now.

Was getting used to the way it performs in FFF, and started doing this kind of fun maneuver in corners, much like a boat, or PWC would in a really hard high speed corner.

picture this

MQX in FFF, counter clock wise circuits, the last corner before it heads away from me, I banked it hard into the corner, the left rear and front rotors slow down and dip towards the deck as little bit, then I punch the throttle, head straight and it snaps forward like its jumping out of as hole. I'm not sure exactly how I was doing this, as I tried to replicate it a few times with no success, but i'll try and figure it out again.

was pretty cool to see a Quad handle this well.


Come on spring!!!!!
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
Feeling FrSky
surfimp's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
lol i wish everyone was an employee so we could all get the good deals
If that was the case, we'd all be out of jobs! :-)

Somebody's gotta pay your salary; it's us, and I'm OK with that! Thanks!!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Feeling FrSky
surfimp's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
was pretty cool to see a Quad handle this well.
Totally agree; just flew through a pack in my driveway, at night, nearly 3 weeks with this thing now and I still just love flying it, and have flown it close to 2-3 times every day I've owned it (if not more!). Flew through 2 packs right away as soon as I got home from work tonight, too.

The ability to have fun flying almost anywhere, almost anytime is truly the mQX's hallmark. For me, an instant classic!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Totally agree; just flew through a pack in my driveway, at night, nearly 3 weeks with this thing now and I still just love flying it, and have flown it close to 2-3 times every day I've owned it (if not more!). Flew through 2 packs right away as soon as I got home from work tonight, too.

The ability to have fun flying almost anywhere, almost anytime is truly the mQX's hallmark. For me, an instant classic!

Steve
lol
those words always make me laugh
but I do agree
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2002
398 Posts
Hi Guys, got a question, hope someone here can assist.

I already have my MQX, just haven't maidened her as I am still waiting for my TX to arrive on Friday. The issue is that I will be using the Futaba 9C Super TX with Spektrum module. I have heard that when using a 'Spektrumized' TX like the Futaba 9C, some or all of the channels have to be reversed. Could someone who might be knowledgeable about this fact enlighten me? For example, I have read that someone who was flying his MSR with the Futaba 9C/Spektrum module had to reverse all the channels.....while some say that the only channel that needs to be reversed is the throttle...all the rest being the same.

I am not sure what will happen if I try flying the MQX and was supposed to reverse the throttle and didn't....would that 'reverse' throttle action be harmful to the motors?

Hopefully someone can throw some light on this question for me before I receive my TX on Friday. Thanks!
butter_fingers is offline Find More Posts by butter_fingers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:08 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_fingers View Post
Hi Guys, got a question, hope someone here can assist.

I already have my MQX, just haven't maidened her as I am still waiting for my TX to arrive on Friday. The issue is that I will be using the Futaba 9C Super TX with Spektrum module. I have heard that when using a 'Spektrumized' TX like the Futaba 9C, some or all of the channels have to be reversed. Could someone who might be knowledgeable about this fact enlighten me? For example, I have read that someone who was flying his MSR with the Futaba 9C/Spektrum module had to reverse all the channels.....while some say that the only channel that needs to be reversed is the throttle...all the rest being the same.

I am not sure what will happen if I try flying the MQX and was supposed to reverse the throttle and didn't....would that 'reverse' throttle action be harmful to the motors?

Hopefully someone can throw some light on this question for me before I receive my TX on Friday. Thanks!
No changes required on my JR3810 - I think you may just have to test it and see - relatively easy to do
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold BNF PZ J3 Cub, BNF PZ P-51D Mustang, Blade mSR RTF & DX6i nyaaah!! Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Oct 06, 2011 11:21 AM
For Sale New Blade 400 RTF Will sell as BNF papower Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 8 Aug 04, 2011 12:28 PM
Sold ON HOLD....FS/WTT Like New (RTF) Heli-Max AXE CPv3 For Like New (BNF) Blade mCP X ABADGTP Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 26, 2011 07:22 PM
Sold Blade MCX2 Like New RTF or BNF tamiyafan1975 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jul 14, 2011 03:39 PM
Sold Blade mCPX RTF or BNF (factory sealed new in box) PatternFlyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Mar 28, 2011 03:25 PM