SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Yo fs2flyer !

I had to go see which heli's you had refered to, they are coaxial, and yes,the mQX is a different flight profile.

The way you describe it, It is flying like it should, and needs more "active" control from the pilot.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
Motto - fly it, crash it = fun
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
Yo fs2flyer !The way you describe it, It is flying like it should, and needs more "active" control from the pilot.
Not as active now at 71 years old as I used to be. ....lol
fs2flyer is offline Find More Posts by fs2flyer
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I've got over 40 flights on mine and probably 30 or so of those on the Hyperion 550's (two of them). I've never had this issue, I can punch to full throttle early in the charge. It won't shut off, but it does get wonky at full throttle. I (and others) have mentioned this before- it flies like the gyro is getting overwhelmed if you try to go full throttle with the Hyperions. Some have even adjusted their throttle EPA to 90% as a workaround. Anyway, back to the shutdown- as others have mentioned this is a common problem on the Geebee, but even though it's common, it doesn't effect ALL of them. I've been keeping up with the thread and my impression is it's about 60/40 of those with and without the premature shutdown (on the Geebee). The temporary fix that HH offered is to let it run at full throttle on the ground and if it shuts down restart it, keep repeating that until it keeps running and then it's good to go. My suggestion on your mQX would be to avoid full throttle, because even if it doesn't shut down you'll find it doesn't fly well at full throttle anyway.
+1!

I fly Hyp 550s exclusively in my mQX, and I can hammer the throttle as hard as I wish without anything cutting out. But it does get a bit squirrelly! That's because there is no headroom left when all four motors are @ WOT - so the controller can only decrease power on a given motor for stabilization purposes.

Regarding the Gee Bee - I have one, and I fly it on homebrew Hyperion 240 mAh 2s packs with no OCP issues at all. However, I have now switched to the GWS 5030 prop to unload the motor a bit, and I'm running Hyperion 320 2s packs from RCBabbel.

If your mQX cuts out only at full-throttle - the most likely causes are binding, a bad motor, or a weak battery.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
On the GeeBee, they have surely fouled up, because to depend on a crappy battery for current limiting is the poorest of designs.
I've been talking about this problem for years actually. It's very common on larger RTF park planes - they are sold with a crappy battery and if you put a good one in there, you'll get overheating and various failures. "Horizon is working on the issue" is kinda funny though, because the problem is obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I've got over 40 flights on mine and probably 30 or so of those on the Hyperion 550's (two of them). I've never had this issue
I've never had the problem either but it is probably due to the altitude here. I do sort of wonder if that's what's happening with my Extra 300 when it dies in a hover early in the flight. I've always thought it was the LVC, but maybe it's the OCP kicking in. TBH, I didn't expect that from a Horizon product so I never checked for it...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
It seems like that infamous front right/rear left pair is looking to start to die sooner than the other pair in this heli..
Even though the motors are designed to be operated one way, I wonder what would happen if you put one of the other motors in place and ran it backwards? If it's not loading heavily, it might do ok? Even if it shortens the life, it might still be better in the long run because the other motors seem a lot more reliable.... Too bad all the motors were not identical and could be run either way without care....

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post
Even though the motors are designed to be operated one way, I wonder what would happen if you put one of the other motors in place and ran it backwards? If it's not loading heavily, it might do ok?

Rob
It would work for a while, but not for long.
LooseScrew is offline Find More Posts by LooseScrew
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
It seems like that infamous front right/rear left pair is looking to start to die sooner than the other pair in this heli..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrew View Post
It would work for a while, but not for long.
So about the same as the correct motor...

Rob
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
The motors are constructed for the intended rotation, and the mechanical construction is the same, as far as I have personally examined.

I have what I think is the reason for the failures, and it is an omission by the maker of the motors. It is a shame, because the life of the motors could be in the hundreds of hours, and some of the examinations that I have been able make on these and other brushed motors used (8.5mm coreless) in the micro lineup, show that attempts have been made to improve them. But one solution has had unintended consequences and there is a limit as to how much effort you want to expend on a very inexpensive component.

I am not totally sure, but the core is communtated in such a way that it may be harmful to the switching fet to run them backwards.

I ain't gonna try it, I'm not ready to put'er down yet.
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Last edited by Stresscracked; Feb 15, 2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Text added
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:17 PM
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,656 Posts
I just had another flight for 8 minutes which was uneventful. Temps were about the same except the right front was about 74. I can't imagine the motor issue is that bad or there would be many more people posting here. Time to stop fretting and just keeping flying the pants off it

shrugs

Rob
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:20 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post
I just had another flight for 8 minutes which was uneventful. Temps were about the same except the right front was about 74. I can't imagine the motor issue is that bad or there would be many more people posting here. Time to stop fretting and just keeping flying the pants off it

shrugs

Rob
I frequent forums here and elsewhere and I find great humour when someone finally comes to the about the conclusion!

It makes me smile!

Thanx Rob!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,943 Posts
well I will say this if you hit hard on one motor mount and the quad copter only spins up 3 of the props for a split second and then they shut off. You need to unplug the battery as soon as possible.
mine did that and I was fiddling with it trying to figure the problem and the 4 in 1 board started to smoke. so my 4in1 is no more
I have ordered a new board that will be here friday. $49 for the control board is a bit high from horizon but I work for the LHS so prices are bearable.
I was ready to buy another mqx if the board was going to be here before friday. I just cant go a day without flying this little guy but I guess tomorrow I will see what happens. I do have a Paris Multiwii board sitting here begging to get in the air and i have a couple kk boards I want to try out so maybe I will get that done tomorrow.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
well I will say this if you hit hard on one motor mount and the quad copter only spins up 3 of the props for a split second and then they shut off. You need to unplug the battery as soon as possible.
mine did that and I was fiddling with it trying to figure the problem and the 4 in 1 board started to smoke. so my 4in1 is no more
I have ordered a new board that will be here friday. $49 for the control board is a bit high from horizon but I work for the LHS so prices are bearable.
I was ready to buy another mqx if the board was going to be here before friday. I just cant go a day without flying this little guy but I guess tomorrow I will see what happens. I do have a Paris Multiwii board sitting here begging to get in the air and i have a couple kk boards I want to try out so maybe I will get that done tomorrow.
Hmmmmm very interesting!

Keep us posted!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
FWIW, they go for under $35 on eBay.
LooseScrew is offline Find More Posts by LooseScrew
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
Australia, WA, Canning Vale
Joined Nov 2011
45 Posts
Props

Two quick questions...

I have scoured the net for ages and cant seem to find who/where the orange and green props are available from...any clues ??

Secondly, there is a You-tube video of somebody who has put 3 blade props on the MqX, does not say which type or where from and has not replied to private message...again, any clues ??

On another subject, I modded the battery tray to take 700 Mah Storm Lipos, expecting to get more run time/performance than the stock or Hyperion batteries (tried them both).

I was very disappointed with the Storm cells, did not even get the same performance as stock 12 C lipo.

I have done a lot of checking...charge and discharge rates... with my Schultz charger (which I am sure is accurate and sophisticated enough to rely on the results) and I find that with 8 Storm Cells, the best I could put in or take out to LVC was 484 Mah. the worst was 310 Mah !!!!, the Hyperions came in at 569 Mah...go figure !!!

Storm aint what they say they are in the labelling and the advertising...be careful !!

hnks
Amphip is offline Find More Posts by Amphip
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:25 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
when I say full throttle punch.
I mean when the quad is initalized and ready, if I hit the throttle stick to full quick it does this.
If I were to punch it to half or 3/4m then slowly progress to 100% it would be fine.
Seems like over current protection to me?
OK, I see what you're saying now. I just tried it on mine and guess what, same thing. If I hold it in my hand and punch it to full throttle quickly it cuts out. Same thing if I set it on the ground and do it, and even if I put it into a hover and do it it'll cut. I guess I never punch the throttle like that After flying it a couple of minutes it would not do it even holding it in my hand, so I'm guessing it's the same OCP thing that's going on with the Geebee. I tried a stock batt and it did it on that one too. I guess people don't notice it on the mQX because you rarely (if ever) have to punch the throttle that hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzguy View Post
I think this is due to the props not being identical anymore, and possibly motor differences.
The Hyperions provide a lot more punch, mine shoots vertical fine on the stock batt's and also on the Hyperiors after they're half discharged, but in the first few minutes the Hyperions give a lot more punch than stock and that's when full throttle causes control issues.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright