Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy View Post
Jasmine,

what about this blade 500X? http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-x-bnf-BLH4080
We were begging for it years ago that's why I mentioned it... also, as soon as the mCX first came out, it was obvious that a micro CP was possible. We didn't expect FBL but that's what they gave us and it's a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Wow Jazz and LooseScew - Great minds....

I will say this Jazz, for my "Personal condition" I personally have got into the building/maintenance of these machines but time is my enemy and it is refreshing to pick something up and just fly the damn thing!

Then you crash it and walk over and pick it up and turn it over or push the main gear back up and continue to fly the damn thing and NOT have to spend hour upon grueling hour putting it back together!
Yeah we crashed them into each other at the club meeting and it was no big deal, it just knocked my headlight off. I do like the simplicity of the thing and that contributes to durability. We'll see how it shakes out after a few months - IMO, nobody has owned one long enough at this point to really talk about durability.

Seems like there might be a motor problem - my left front motor has always been slow, you can see it in the un-boxing video and first flight. But I'm not noticing any difference in the way it flies, so we'll have to see. It is well known that different people have different maintenance habits too, and I kinda wonder if all the "attention" people are giving the motors might be contributing to the break-downs. Hard to say - I just lubed the bearings and have been flying it, that's it. Did the same thing with my mSR and it's still trucking along. I don't know how old it is but I got it when it first came out.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hi All,

I just ran into and purchased on a whim the MQX at my LHS and when I got it home and tried it I was blown away! I've built a much larger tricopter before but it was only stabilized by four gyros and was nothing like this. So naturally I'm looking for the quad controller on the market that most resembles what this AS3X tech can do but for bigger quads that can lift a GoPro and FPV gear. Any ideas? So far the DJI Naza seems to be the best I can find for the money, no?

Thanks!
-Paul
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
Groton NH USA
Joined Feb 2002
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Thank you sir! I love this thing.

In other news, night ops are officially go!

I ended up using:
  • 3mm green x 2
  • 3mm amber (pretty much red) x 2
  • 5mm white (headlight)
  • 5mm red blinking (beacon)

Wired it up with some really thin antenna wire, probably 26awg or less. Using a 1S 160mAh E-Flite battery for power.

Overall it added 13g to the AUW, making it 87g (3oz) RTF, a 20% increase over stock. It's definitely noticeable and it now needs about 65-70% throttle to hover. Definitely isn't quite as nimble, though it is more steady/stable. I may end up wiring it into the board directly so I can save some weight, TBD.

I haven't run a full fresh pack through it yet so I'm not sure how much runtime is impacted, but I was getting an easy 9-10min before, so if I still get 7-8min now I'll be happy. Obviously, if I wire to the board directly it'll also impact runtime, but give it a little more agility.

The upshot is that this experiment gives me a good idea what to expect when I add FPV gear, which will add a similar amount to the AUW (I'll definitely plan to remove the lights when that happens). In the meantime, this thing is *super fun* at night!

Steve
I hear you on the weight thing..the camera I used did make it more sluggish but thats better sometimes. I did not weigh it all but my prob is a good way to mount it. Its like a usb drive but needs to be upright to take a vid.
I think I will build a foam landing gear/camera mount for it. I want forward flight vids, not looking at the ground.
Love the lights, need to make a ring up with the lights on it so I can swap it out for the cam as needed.
Toywizard is offline Find More Posts by Toywizard
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Howdy Jim Just Curious !

"Has anyone tried putting longer booms on the MQX?"

Yup, looks even more mosquito-like high up, flies fine, you can see it a little farther away.

I sourced the carbon here:

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Ca...quare-Tube-412
Stresscracked is offline Find More Posts by Stresscracked
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Good evening Paul !

The ASX3 is the same (gyro) chip as the WII remote platform.

Check out those threads.

The DJI Naza is a much more capable controller than the simple ASX3.

And, you also said "it was only stabilized by four gyros" ?

Do you mean four discreet gyros with no output mixing? The ASX3 has 3, but it is the further processing of the gyro information that is important.
Last edited by Stresscracked; Feb 14, 2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added question
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Groton NH USA
Joined Feb 2002
237 Posts
Worth the money???

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Is it worth the money? Yes! In nearly 30 years of flying RC, this little quad has the highest fun-per-dollar quotient that I've seen so far. Plus, it's versatility is hard to beat, and it is very durable. Nearly as stable as a coaxial heli, yet more precise, but with the speed of a CP heli & the agility of a high-performance fixed-pitched heli. Fly some slow, precision circuits around the living room & shoot some CD case spot-landings. Then go outside for some aerobatics & high-banked circuits at 20-30 MPH - even if there's a 10 MPH wind. Or, strap-on a keychain cam & shoot some on-board video. I don't know of any other mass-produced RC aircraft that can do all of that!

Joel
Hell yes!
This is way fun, durable (I have crashed all kinds of stuff, flown some too...lol).
This is a great little flying machine. I want one that will lift 16oz. Love this rig, well worth the $$$.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:34 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
808 #16 keychain cam with .67 wide lens. Brought the mQX to Vegas last weekend.

http://youtu.be/ICMVq289mlQ?hd=1
Nice! I'm looking for an HD replacement for my trusty old #3 cam. The #16 looks pretty good. I wasn't aware that different lenses were available. My #3 weighs ~15g, fully-cased. What does the #16 weigh?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:43 PM
Groton NH USA
Joined Feb 2002
237 Posts
"Bottom Lip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post
I have been checking temps and there has been no difference so far. I have been using my bottom lip and no burns or otherwise yet!

I would like it if the battery wire was a little longer, even 5mm would be nice. Food for thought on the next batch horizon!

Rob
lol
I am sorry but I find the "Bottom Lip" test funny cause my wife does that when she feeds her hand fed baby birds. She brings the spoon up to her lip and tests the temp before she gives it to the babies.
I never thought about applying this to other stuff.......although I do the 9v tongue test so I guess I am as bad. lol
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hi Stress !

Thanks for the info!

I've heard mention of the WII controller but it sounded a bit too experimental for me. I'd like something that comes a bit more RTF even though I'm willing to build the quad frame.

Yes, but I was including the yaw gyro for the fourth. Each arm on the tri had a rate hold 401 clone gyro on it and it performed very well. Just not as nice as the MQX though the small mass may have something to do with it. I've been wanting to FPV a multi rotor copter but just haven't gotten around to it basically. But getting this fun little quad has got me thinking about it again for sure!

Right now I'm thinking of the Naza unless someone can convince me otherwise. Hell, I first saw their high end product at over $1000 and thought maybe someday. Then the lower end product seemed like a good start.

Thanks again,
-Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
Good evening Paul !

The ASX3 is the same (gyro) chip as the WII remote platform.

Check out those threads.

The DJI Naza is a much more capable controller than the simple ASX3.

And, you also said "it was only stabilized by four gyros" ?

Do you mean four discreet gyros with no output mixing? The ASX3 has 3, but it is the further processing of the gyro information that is important.
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
I use my upper lip.

The wife now knows I've gone over the edge "making out" with my aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:10 PM
Groton NH USA
Joined Feb 2002
237 Posts
Upper Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresscracked View Post
I use my upper lip.

The wife now knows I've gone over the edge "making out" with my aircraft.
rotflmao
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Nice! I'm looking for an HD replacement for my trusty old #3 cam. The #16 looks pretty good. I wasn't aware that different lenses were available. My #3 weighs ~15g, fully-cased. What does the #16 weigh?

Joel
The camera by itself weighs 17grams with the .67 lens attached 22 grams.
minizoom is offline Find More Posts by minizoom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trona Pinnacles
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Yo paul !

That's what I thought. I actually set up a + config quad with 4 $12.00 401 clones.

It flew ok, much like a very agile 3D plank. I had to be "on" the controls 100%.
Of course, rudder authority was the primary issue that I achieved somewhat via mixing in the radio.

Actually, I recently got the HK controller, I have piled all the motors, ESC's, frame and connectors in a heap and are waiting for them to self-assemble.

Has not happened yet. I think I will put the soldering iron in the pile tonite and see what happens.

I have no personal experience with Hoverfly, but the ~$225 sport is what I would recommend, as the price really pays for the promise of Plug and Play support.

http://www.hoverflytech.com/controllers.html
Last edited by Stresscracked; Feb 14, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added link/revised price
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:54 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,915 Posts
@pthompson24

Buy the Naza. You will really like it. I don't know how much you have to spend, but I would consider the kit rather than a DIY quad with a Naza controller. If you haven't done a lot of building, the motor/esc combinations can give you indigestion.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
@pthompson24

Buy the Naza. You will really like it. I don't know how much you have to spend, but I would consider the kit rather than a DIY quad with a Naza controller. If you haven't done a lot of building, the motor/esc combinations can give you indigestion.

+1 on this. I recently lost my Quad w/ Naza..it literally flew away but that was due to a faulty Tx module and some wonky failsafe behavior.

Overall the Naza is amazing for the money and nothing in the price range comes close. Put it this way, mine flew away and I am still getting another.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross