SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
right that was done with alien air, but for that price a new person can build a "hobby grade" or buy it from goodluckbuy for same price. its just that its a step back anyways.
This is ready to fly and will be in every local hobby shop around. No setup needed, everything in one box. That is what is different with this, and with a name brand behind it.

Most new to the hobby have no idea of Goodluckbuy nor do they want to order parts from all over to piece together a quad. They may not even have any previous RC experience.

It is a step forward in terms of the mass market.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
edited .......
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Dec 31, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
brushed motors = step back, they wil make a killing off people and spare motors... blah blah blah we seen it before nothing new.
Yes nothing new technology wise, what is new is a major brand mass marketing a quad in a simple RTF package. This isn't targetted at those already into muticopters. Walk into your LHS and walk out and be flying in minutes with this.

Is it a top of the line quad? No. And I don't think it was intended to be. It is meant for the masses, those that may never have flown before.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:12 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Yes nothing new technology wise, what is new is a major brand mass marketing a quad in a simple RTF package. This isn't targetted at those already into muticopters. Walk into your LHS and walk out and be flying in minutes with this.

Is it a top of the line quad? No. And I don't think it was intended to be. It is meant for the masses, those that may never have flown before.
+1 its $140 BNF or $170 RTF. Perfect for beginner to get bit by the bug LOL. I will be buying my 5yr old nephew one for sure. This is exactly what our hobby needs. Go look at the micro heli section here. It has the most traffic. Alot of those guys will buy 1 of these and it might get them into multirotors. I might buy the 4in1 for $50 when avail for my micro super dave CF saucer frame if its not too big.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
edited .......
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:28 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,247 Posts
It's not the first brushed airframe HH has put out. They have numerous helis and planes that seem to sell very well. I don't see this being any different. They are basically repurposing components they have used for other products. And the have the massive name and distribution channels behind them. The micro forums are some of the busiest around.

They are not Walkera. This is an entry level quad.

Not arguing you opinion, discussing the product.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
edited .......
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:42 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,288 Posts
mQX

I'd like to share some of the thinking that went behind the mQX.

To start, let's cover what it's not. It's not an FPV platform, or a camera platform. We're not quite ready to step into that arena. Also, it's not a programming platform for the robotics guys. That's a completely different market than Blade currently serves. When we looked at the quad market, we saw those two major focus areas. In addition, some guys out there are doing quads that are more focused on flying fun, just flying around with a normal transmitter and doing the occasional flip or loop.

In any of these segments, we see most of what's available is fairly expensive once you get all the items you need to complete. They also tend toward the kit side of completion rather than being fully assembled.

The mQX is intended to break these barriers to giving quads a try. No hassling with camera interfaces, no programming required, no assembly required, just take it out of the box, charge the battery & fly. You can get it at your local hobby shop, it has a great price point, and you can fly it with your own Spektrum transmitter.

So how does it fly? It's a blast! It turned out to be more fun than most of us in the office thought it would be when we started. You can actually get it to flip and to loop if you try hard enough.

This might not be a product for the hardcore quad guys, we admit up front. But for the rest of us, it's a great place to give quads a try without any emotional debt. And for some of the hardcore quad guys, it could still be fun. After all, we sell a lot of ParkZone foamies and ultra micro airplanes to guys who fly much larger & expensive stuff, just because they're inexpensive, convenient, and fun.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:55 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post

To start, let's cover what it's not. It's not an FPV platform, or a camera platform. We're not quite ready to step into that arena. Also, it's not a programming platform for the robotics guys. That's a completely different market than Blade currently serves. When we looked at the quad market, we saw those two major focus areas. In addition, some guys out there are doing quads that are more focused on flying fun, just flying around with a normal transmitter and doing the occasional flip or loop.

In any of these segments, we see most of what's available is fairly expensive once you get all the items you need to complete. They also tend toward the kit side of completion rather than being fully assembled.

The mQX is intended to break these barriers to giving quads a try. No hassling with camera interfaces, no programming required, no assembly required, just take it out of the box, charge the battery & fly. You can get it at your local hobby shop, it has a great price point, and you can fly it with your own Spektrum transmitter.

So how does it fly? It's a blast! It turned out to be more fun than most of us in the office thought it would be when we started. You can actually get it to flip and to loop if you try hard enough.

This might not be a product for the hardcore quad guys, we admit up front. But for the rest of us, it's a great place to give quads a try without any emotional debt. And for some of the hardcore quad guys, it could still be fun. After all, we sell a lot of ParkZone foamies and ultra micro airplanes to guys who fly much larger & expensive stuff, just because they're inexpensive, convenient, and fun.
Thanks for the rundown Dave. Can you tell me the size of the controller please? Also do you know when vids will be posted? I and I am sure many others wanna C it in action.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
Team SCHC
SoCal
Joined Dec 2005
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post

Perfect explanation Dave. Thanks!
I've been waiting for you guys to release a quad since my original Jump Jet 3 years ago. This will be a fantastic 4 channel trainer!
I sincerely hope the rates will be adjustable for aggressive flight as this was the main limitation of the Jump Jet.
Please post video ASAP!
zguy is online now Find More Posts by zguy
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
Team White Llama
USA, IL, Mundelein
Joined Mar 2005
1,057 Posts
I will end up with one for sure. Looks like it will be great fun, and anyhow thats what we are all in this hobby for. Brushed setups work fine to have FUN. The mcpx is great brushed with a little collective management and good batteries.
I am sure you throw out the eflite batts, get some high c rated higher quality batts and this little quad should be a blast to fly in your house or garage in my case.
thefokker is offline Find More Posts by thefokker
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:24 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Great! Another one I have to get This should be fun to fly around the house..... Can't wait to see the video of it in action

Dave any idea when it will be available?
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Last edited by TonyTypeS; Dec 29, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:31 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytypes View Post
great! Another one i have to get this should be fun to fly around the house..... Can't wait to see the video of it in action
+1
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,163 Posts
Now, this looks interesting! Always wanted to mess around with a UM-sized quad, but didn't want to piece one together, then build & tune it. I already have enough RC projects on the table to keep me busy. This, I just want to fly.

Dave - I know you mentioned that it's not intended to be a video platform, but do you think it can carry a 15g keychain cam? My mCP X carries it, albeit not gracefully.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:29 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,336 Posts
Hmmm... might also be a cool jumping off point to some wild mods... pusher prop... lightweight body... alternate sizing of props... turn it into a hovercraft... (with vertical capabilities?).... make a personal scale version of Moeller aircar? Alternate boom lengths to experiment with stability....
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob