HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
Ha, i'm glad it's not just me that's done that!


My MQX is currently out of action as I went to try it yesterday to find one of the blades not spinning up right,on further inspection there were several tiny balls stuck magnetically onto the motor....one of my bearings had spilt it's balls.
Yeah, the cartwheel was the third trick I learned with this bird! Interesting info on the bearings. Guess I should inspect mine a bit closer. I'll probably just install a set of Bocas & be done with it. They have always been excellent performers in my RC cars, helis, and 2 & 4-stroke RC engines.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Oh the cartwheel is my favorite manuever! it can happen without trying to do it at all!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:32 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Oh the cartwheel is my favorite manuever! it can happen without trying to do it at all!
Mine is also the cartwheel with landing upside down!!! LOL!!!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:54 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
Yeah, I meant to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Mine is also the cartwheel with landing upside down!!! LOL!!!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:48 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Yeah, the cartwheel was the third trick I learned with this bird! Interesting info on the bearings. Guess I should inspect mine a bit closer. I'll probably just install a set of Bocas & be done with it. They have always been excellent performers in my RC cars, helis, and 2 & 4-stroke RC engines.

Joel
I ordered some V929 bearings as replacements as I know they're the same size, they don't appear to have the balls exposed (fnar) so hoping they won't come apart.

Do you have a part number or link for the bocas bearings that would fit the MQX?
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
I ordered some V929 bearings as replacements as I know they're the same size, they don't appear to have the balls exposed (fnar) so hoping they won't come apart.

Do you have a part number or link for the bocas bearings that would fit the MQX?
3x6x2mm dual-shield SS bearings: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...3x6x2-MR63ZZW2

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
3x6x2mm dual-shield SS bearings: http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...3x6x2-MR63ZZW2

Joel
Thank you
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
n00b pilot
MikeyToo's Avatar
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
447 Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before. If you want to save yourself some headaches, ziptie the battery connector to the center frame as a strain relief. My mQX started acting all squirrelly and I couldn't figure out what it was. Crashes had broken negative wire at the circuit board by causing the battery to eject and pull on the wire.
MikeyToo is offline Find More Posts by MikeyToo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:28 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before. If you want to save yourself some headaches, ziptie the battery connector to the center frame as a strain relief. My mQX started acting all squirrelly and I couldn't figure out what it was. Crashes had broken negative wire at the circuit board by causing the battery to eject and pull on the wire.
Good call Mikey, think i'll do that.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before. If you want to save yourself some headaches, ziptie the battery connector to the center frame as a strain relief. My mQX started acting all squirrelly and I couldn't figure out what it was. Crashes had broken negative wire at the circuit board by causing the battery to eject and pull on the wire.
I crash often at high speeds. I use a small piece of duct tape, the cheaper the better, about 3/4 inches square, to secure all 4 brands of batteries I use. While the Q is upside down I place the battery, then I place the piece of tape so that it covers the battery that is exposed between the two cross braces in the Q's battery frame.

In more than 10,000 crashes I have only had the battery displaced twice, both because the tape was too old to hold the battery during a very high speed crash.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:50 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
Greetings all! I took the plunge and ordered a mQX BNF today. I've been wanting to order a quad and decided maybe this would be a good one to start with - not too big not too little. I haven't had time to read through this thread but I'm sure there is tons of good information here so plan to check it out.

Happy flying!
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:03 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Jake8131's Avatar
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Greetings all! I took the plunge and ordered a mQX BNF today. I've been wanting to order a quad and decided maybe this would be a good one to start with - not too big not too little. I haven't had time to read through this thread but I'm sure there is tons of good information here so plan to check it out.

Happy flying!
It is addictively addictive and fun.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
It is addictively addictive and fun.
What you said!

The mQX has the highest fun-per-dollar quotient of pretty much anything I've flown in 28 years of flying RC!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
AeroRecon's Avatar
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,642 Posts
Our two cats love it.
It lands and they sniff and bat at the blades. They move back a step and off it spins...hovering over them. Then they follow it around until it gets close enough to sniff at again.
Great fun for all.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:47 PM
Moving Parts
ChopperJack's Avatar
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,426 Posts
I've been checking quads out for about six months. Walkera makes a few that look pretty good. I was interested in the AeroSky H100 until I checked the thread and problems abound. Blade makes fairly decent stuff generally so I'm hoping this quad will start me off with a bang and no crashes.

The ultimate (which probably exists) will be the combination of video goggles and FPV helicopter of some sort. I've seen you tube videos of this but probably too expensive to be commercially available.

I came up with a possible commercial application watching Modern Marvels. They showed people inspecting the big blades of a wind generator. It might be possible to do the same job with a tethered quad. The video could be recorded for playback and maybe liability. Of course, one problem would be the wind.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold BNF PZ J3 Cub, BNF PZ P-51D Mustang, Blade mSR RTF & DX6i nyaaah!! Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 11 Oct 06, 2011 11:21 AM
For Sale New Blade 400 RTF Will sell as BNF papower Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 8 Aug 04, 2011 12:28 PM
Sold ON HOLD....FS/WTT Like New (RTF) Heli-Max AXE CPv3 For Like New (BNF) Blade mCP X ABADGTP Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 26, 2011 07:22 PM
Sold Blade MCX2 Like New RTF or BNF tamiyafan1975 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jul 14, 2011 03:39 PM
Sold Blade mCPX RTF or BNF (factory sealed new in box) PatternFlyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Mar 28, 2011 03:25 PM