HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
9,834 Posts
Wow there are some people in the Multi rotor forum that think they are the know all of the hobby! The funny thing is they say dont go off topic and troll but they are the ones trolling!

I fly $3k models to my mCP x(toy)! I think it's great that HH offers these type of kits! These type of models let people try the hobby w/o spending a lot of money! It also allows us other guys that like to just fly a toy sometimes and not worry about $400 battery packs or expensive crashes. It also allows some of us that have younger kids, to allow them to fly with mom and dad!

These toys that I call them also allow some of us that have very bad weather in winter to still have fun w/o freezing ours off

I say keep it up Horizon, I love these little toys/models... Parts are cheap and they are a lot of fun!

PS: If you think $170 is to much for a rtf then you really need to get out of the hobby now, fishing is pretty cheap!!!!
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
This looks like fun !
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:17 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,270 Posts
I like it, and will be picking on up as soon as they are out for sure.

having + type mode looks awesome. way to go eflight.

price is right too. less then the AR Drone
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Last edited by witespy; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:21 AM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Kewl!!!

Mr. Ribbe,

WOW - unreal! Glad the LAB has been busy. Not that I doubted it...

I think this quad will do very well. Good thinking to allow both X and + type navigation too! I've flown both...X is neaaaat. My home builds were +. BUT hey they both work.

The video is top notch quality. I'm sure seeing and hearing the real model is better but you guys captured a good amount of what we need to see per what this little jem can deliver.

GOOD LUCK!

I'm sure 1 or 2 of these will make it into my fleet/hangar!

Happy New Year to you too and the folks at the BIGH!!!

GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronikpilot View Post
IMHO, this is HH marketing hype for their new products, they do it all the time to see how many will pre- order. If they sell them outright to us, all it takes is one bad review and it will not do too good on the quad market. But if they get at least 10,000 consumers to pre order and pay for it right off the bat HH could care less about bad reviews. They already got your money.

...and for the guys saying it's for new quad pilots market because it's RTF, I'm not trying to pick a fight but, how many micro/mini blade products have we seen being flown by pros on their infomercials and they always say: "it's ready to fly out of the box just charge the batteries and go flying, we test flown all of them before packaging" and when a new pilot gets it they get frustrated because it's out of trim, motors don't spin, the transmiter don't bind, etc. Etc. ....now do you really think it's still for a beginner quad pilot? None of their products are 100% RTF out of the box, they will require some kind of trimming and tinkering to get them to fly right.

I have been in this hobby long enough to see hype products V.S REAL PRODUCTS, and when HH thinks the product is a flop they are so fast to phase them out of their inventory.

KP

1. They already have design, marketing, supplier chain, inventory, spares, customer support training, etc IN PLACE, or else you would not be hearing a peep about this product. It's not 'vapor ware', it will no doubt be available to buy in days. Ridiculous to even think it is merely a 'trial balloon.'

2. Nothing Eforce is actually RTF? Really? I just bought a UM Beast 3d. Took it out of box. Looked at trims (but did not adjust anything). It now has 12 or 15 batteries through it, without a single issue, perfectly working right out of box, no adjustments, no action needed by me. Also, just bought a spare Mcpx, and it too was trimmed, adjusted, and ready to go right out of the package. (I did go ahead and *check* the pitch, trim, swash leveling, CG etc, but I did not have to adjust a single thing. For prevention, I did add grommets to the swash, but that was more out of habit and to ensure long-term stability, than required OOB.)

In a very short time, I have sure read a lot of dumb things said in this thread, that appear to be fueled by ignorance and driven by... well I don't know what, exactly -- Could be elitism? Anger? Jealousy?

One thing I can say is that it really reflects poorly on those griping about a product they would have you believe that they would never buy anyway, and also have certainly never even touched at this point, much less had a chance to properly evaluate.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Dec 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:33 AM
Pro Bro ozzy
United States, WY, Cheyenne
Joined Aug 2004
525 Posts
Subscribed.
Tim B is offline Find More Posts by Tim B
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRO View Post
Mr. Ribbe,

WOW - unreal! Glad the LAB has been busy. Not that I doubted it...

I think this quad will do very well. Good thinking to allow both X and + type navigation too! I've flown both...X is neaaaat. My home builds were +. BUT hey they both work.

The video is top notch quality. I'm sure seeing and hearing the real model is better but you guys captured a good amount of what we need to see per what this little jem can deliver.

GOOD LUCK!

I'm sure 1 or 2 of these will make it into my fleet/hangar!

Happy New Year to you too and the folks at the BIGH!!!

Thanks Ron! and thanks to the other posters.

This thing should be out pretty quick, and I think you will enjoy it!

Happy New Year to you!
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,288 Posts
Well said Tracknoob

Dang Haters
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:00 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Cool!
I love my mCPX and I bet I'm going to love this one as well.

These guys are great to fly indoor and I love to be able to fly in my living room.

HH please make sure you make it able to loop as I want to be able to do some lopps and flips while I'm sitting in my couch!
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Cool!
I love my mCPX and I bet I'm going to love this one as well.

These guys are great to fly indoor and I love to be able to fly in my living room.

HH please make sure you make it able to loop as I want to be able to do some lopps and flips while I'm sitting in my couch!
If you wanna flip it while on your couch you better bring your couch outdoors as you will need more than 10' to flip this.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
Quad Pilot
Ferndale Wa
Joined Apr 2009
295 Posts
Well I'm just getting involved in the Quadcopter world and have already purchased a larger quad to build, I'm glad HH has come out with this beginner quad so that I might beable to test my ability on a smaller scale so that when i go to test larger one it wont be such a surprise, watching the vid has definitley got me excited to own one of these!
ShawnG is offline Find More Posts by ShawnG
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:37 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
you offer no facts, no pictures of your $30 quad, and talk about using Ebay as a supplier.

If you can build a comparable setup for $30, please show me the quad. Please stop posting letters with numbers next to them
Try looking at semiconductor warehouses. You can get the components for a basic quadcopter (in quantities of 10,000 or so) for $30 very easily, and $20 isn't outside the realm of possibility. Of course, R&D is expensive and the retail markup on these is enormous - and without local retailers, E-flite can't support their products. $140 isn't that unreasonable.

I recall someone did a big order of the 7mm tailrotor motors for the MSR. Instead of $10 each, they were closer to $0.45.

I'm mostly just worrieed about the brushed motors. Unless these are heavily improved over the Micro P-51 8.5mm coreless, there are definite issues with consistency, and the propeller shafts bend quite frequently. It's not a big deal, but at $70 to replace 4 motors and 4 shafts, it seems like a strong incentive to go bruhshless.

Last I checked, the AS3x board in the MCPX (which is pretty similar) is about $60 to replace. If I could pay $60 for a DSM2 quadcopter board with outputs to standard ESCs, I'd buy one right now. Heck, just bump the price of the complete quadcopter to $200 and give it four of the UMX brushless motors, and I'd buy that.

As-is? No way. There's a long list of things I consider far superior value for money, and Horizon makes about half of them.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Last edited by Cheesehead; Dec 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
ugh... if they made this brushless it would sell like hotcakes
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:07 PM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
837 Posts
if it flies out the box like the video, I'll have one.......
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:16 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
ugh... if they made this brushless it would sell like hotcakes
It would be interesting to see what a brushless version would cost. It isn't just changing motors. If a brushless sold for $269 it may not be a hotcake.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet