SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:06 PM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
615 Posts
Discussion
Best 2.4 radio for the money?

Multiple model TX w/an RX to get started in a park flyer.

I want multi modle TX because I got my MCX2 and I want to put a park flyer on there and have room for some more park flyers in the future!

I am a Futaba fan for years but I have owned JR and Hitec with no problems!

so what do you all think?

Excogitate is offline Find More Posts by Excogitate
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:30 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Spektrum DX6i. 10 model memory and it will bind with your MCX2 along with many other Parkzone and E-Flite bind 'n fly models.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:45 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,692 Posts
Hitec A9, 30 model memory and a touch screen. I have been using it all year and it is the best radio I have ever owned.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:06 AM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Agreed with Freddy. There are a lot of DX6i's at our field, including one I own. I only replaced it because I dropped it. (still works! It was a good excuse to get the DX7)

Because you want to bind your MCX2 that limits you to either JR or Spectrum. And for the money, Spectrum will do you fine.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:17 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Dx6i - will also work with you MCX2, though no room for modules. Great TX though - have used one for the last 18 months without incident.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:22 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
Airtronics rds8000. 10 model memory. Had dx6i and found to many glitches and poor quality internal wiring. Not a problem with Airtronics.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Last edited by robbthepilot; Dec 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:31 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Rob, think you mean the Airtronics RDS 8000, lol.

One of the good things about Spektrum gear is that you can use the Orange RXs for $10, buy a bag full and throw them in any foamy- i have used them for a few years now and have not had a failure yet (though obviously these are those who despise them and will say as soon as you get your plane airborne with and Orange RX it will immediately burst into flames )
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
Hitec A9, 30 model memory and a touch screen. I have been using it all year and it is the best radio I have ever owned.
+1 I left spektrum for Hitec and do not regret it one bit. Hitec A9 will be my primary tx for a long time to come. From what I have seen, Spektrum lost a lot of customers because they neglected the needs of sailplanes.

The voltage telemetry alone has made my flying experience soooo much better.
Striper Fish is offline Find More Posts by Striper Fish
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:07 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
As soon as I outgrow my DX6i I might get an Aurora 9..looks like an awesome radio. I love my 6i for now though, does everything I want it to and the BnF micros are nice

I would say go for it, I got mine used on the classifieds here for $100 with an ar500 too
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
412 Posts
I'm a bit curious. I "grew up" on Futaba & JR equipment in the late 80's early 90's. Currently I have a DX6i which I love. However, objectively looking at what's out there the Various flavors of X9 seem to clearly be not only the best "bang for the buck" but possibly the best bang period. While QC issues are arguably a real concern an actual comparison with Spektrum certainly favors the X9.

From my perspective an X9 running the FrSKY telemetry package with the aftermarket firmware might very well be the best 2.4 setup available at any price.
TxToast is offline Find More Posts by TxToast
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:25 PM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
468 Posts
Turnigy 9x is hands down the best 2.4ghz for the money. You can do easy DIY install of a back light too. And if you are up for it you can install the er9x firmware that is top notch. I bought mine with the er9x fw and back light installed from ebay for under $150. Check out the er9x thread here and you will see why the Turnigy 9 channel with the er9x fw is the best thing to come from China since Bruce Lee
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:33 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,673 Posts
You should get the 8FG and get the Spektrum module for it.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:17 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
I loved my old Futaba 72mhz radio. I like Futaba as a brand as well. Consider however what the OP has in mind for a use for the radio however, and it's hard to argue anything but Spectrum. An Eflite MCX2 helicopter and future park fliers in memory.

The 8FG with a Spectrum module would indeed do the job. (Heck - I wanted that but couldn't afford it!) Is it really the best for the buck though?
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:25 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
I own a Dx6i. I have Airplanes and Heli's programmed on mine and I love it. I also love the fact that I can buy BNF products. Never had an issue.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:44 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I think the key is to get one of the products that is serviced here in the U.S. Either Futaba or Spektrum will fill the bill. Don't worry about binding transmitters. I'm a Futaba user and have many Parkzone planes. My Futaba receivers fit in them just fine. Get what ever appeals to you.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw