HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
Build Log
Gulp SR

Well here we go. This build log is by the man they call Rubio. There are not a lot of build logs of a Gulp that I could find. This will chronicle one mans struggle to make that happen. I'm not an expert builder. In fact i haven"t built much but an Old Econoline. That never stopped me before. you learn by doing and that's what I'll do here. I have my build Project Leader (my cat The Mighty Dylan) and Build Security(my other Cat The Sultan). Together we will tackle the Gulp SR.
I have been flying less than a year, and the SLOPE BUG... has bitten me. Thus this build is a result of that Bug. If you slope i have found build skill is a must!! I have a project already going. but why not start another!!!
I picked up the Kit from Steve Drake. It was great to meet him and talk over the build.(I just wish I remember more of the great advice he gave me!!) He is really a great guy and very well informed. The kit instructions are straight forward and I going to do my best to follow his advice and build light. Or will it turn into a flying brick??? Only time will tell. Feel free to chime any advice you might have. Its always welcome. I hope to learn a lot along the way and maybe you could be the one to lead me down the runway to good flying...
The only bummer is my Build Security is already asleep
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
Good thing I'm not paying for this "SECURITY"!!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
Now for the kit.
The wings are cut into four pieces.
( actually 6 pcs)
Steve glued one spar and two pcs for you already.
One tail
Two elevons
Four wing spars
Some carbon to join the spars.
The body with a spar inside.
Here are a few pics of the kit
You will see some extra carbon. When I saw the thin elevons. I got the extra carbon for them.
Plus some ballast for those extra windy days!!!
Last edited by 67econoline; Dec 28, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
Oh and I forgot the ...

BALLAST!!!
Last edited by 67econoline; Dec 28, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:19 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Sweet! You'll really have fun with the Gulp, it'll teach you how to manage your plane's energy and is a great dynamic soaring trainer. As far as weight goes, my first was 33oz and the one I have now is 45oz and I really like it heavy. It's not a light-wind plane anyway so there's no reason to keep it light. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jordan
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
Oooh That"s GOOD NEWS !!! I really want a tough plane too.
That Dynamic Soaring might end badly for me
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:37 PM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
First is to glue the wings together.
Keep them flat. The beds were different sizes. I used some extra sandpaper that I had grime the ban project to shore up one of the beds.
I used some wax paper to keep sticking to a minimum. Then mixed up some 5 min epoxy. One side came out perfect one I pulled apart before it se and glued it again. My table is only 48" but it's flat across that distance. Then I'm sanding the carbon rods to meet in the center. I laid them on top of the groove and used the center of the wing and a sanding block to get the angle.
Then rough up the rods for better adhesion with the glue and foam.
Last edited by 67econoline; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:37 PM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
Glue the spars next. I'm going to use the amber gorilla glue. That is A Steve Drake suggestion. I put two lines of glue as even as I could an the pushed the spar in from the top.
After the I spun the spar. To disperse the glue evenly. Now I will just wait for it to foam up and pull out the big chunks if and when they come.
That's it for tonight. Work comes early and besides the Build Security is dead tired too!!!
Last edited by 67econoline; Dec 28, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:04 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
Glue the spars next. I'm going to use the amber gorilla glue. That is A Steve Drake suggestion. I put two lines of glue as even as I could an the pushed the spar in from the top.
After the I spun the spar. To disperse the glue evenly. Now I will just wait for it to foam up and pull out the big chunks if and when they come.
That's it for tonight. Work comes early and besides the Build Security is dead tired too!!!
Before that glue foams up, I should probably tell you what the carbon tow included in the kit is for. It's used to wind around the carbon rods in the middle, then soak the entire thing with 20min. epoxy. How I did that was I made a sewing needle out of some scrap wire, then cut off about 3' of tow, and tie one end through the eye in the homemade needle. Then, starting at one end, weave the tow over and under in a somewhat random pattern through the gaps in the spars, making sure to pull it taunt and that your looping around all of the spars. Once you've worked your way to the other end, mix up a hefty batch of epoxy and thouroughly soak the tow. Once you've got the epoxy on there, use the remaining length of tow to wrap around all the spars and work your way back to the other side. Once that's done, mix up another batch, and soak it again. Let it cure in the beds at least overnight.
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:03 AM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
I only glued the top spar in on both sides. The instructions said to let that dry in the beds to keep it flat so that is where I stopped . I will glue the bottom spar tomorrow. Then wrap the carbon tow around the whole joint. I will bring some wire home to make a needle. That sounds like a great idea.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:08 AM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
My wings drying happily in their beds. Waitin for the big foam out.
One more spar to go till the tow.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:19 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Gulps fly great, but man is the build labor-intensive.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:39 AM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,150 Posts
I had one for quite a few years. Great plane you'll love it.
Mine was about 40 oz and I was actually surprised at just how light of air it could stay aloft in. But when the air got heavy and the ballast went in it was a blast. Huge outside loops were no problem at all and screaming front side passes were fun too.
Many guys commented on how fast that plane was.
It finally met it's end when the batteries died on an inverted pass. Just too much damage to repair.
Have fun with your Gulp
TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:06 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,186 Posts
Interesting Build.
Glad to see the 'Build Security' is so hard at work ....... helping...
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined May 2011
6,664 Posts
Today was a work day for me. The plant is in shutdown. That makes me a day shift guy. It nice to be on days for a while. The Build Security was still at his post at 4:45 am!!! He was still ... " Hard at work"!!! To be clear I only glued the spars in the foam area. No glue at the joint. I tried to noe have a lot of glue on the top a wiped excess away with some shop towels. I had a little glue swelling but gave it a light sand and cut what I could. It's acceptable on top. The I checked the bottom . I had glue come ALL THE WAY THROUGH !!!
It was still gummy though. The bars had protected it from the air and the kept it from drying fully. I cleaned out the spar cavity Anne wiped down the bottom to make sure it was free of glue. No time for pictures it was off to work. The poly gorilla glue really foams up and takes quite a while to dry. I didn't use any wax paper next time I will!!!
Last edited by 67econoline; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:01 AM.