HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
Discussion
Park 250 vs Rimfire 250

Just when I started to get comfortable with motor specs, I started comparing the Park 250 with the Rimfire 250. The "250" numbers sort of imply sameness, but the Park seems to be basically a 50 watt motor while the Rimfire is 100 watts. Kv doesn't mean all that much to me--maybe it should. Is wattage the way to compare motors? Or what??
sdculp is offline Find More Posts by sdculp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:30 PM
Gaui X3, Nano CPX (two)
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdculp View Post
Just when I started to get comfortable with motor specs, I started comparing the Park 250 with the Rimfire 250. The "250" numbers sort of imply sameness, but the Park seems to be basically a 50 watt motor while the Rimfire is 100 watts. Kv doesn't mean all that much to me--maybe it should. Is wattage the way to compare motors? Or what??

Rimfire have always been more powerful. Really, the wight is most important in my opinion, but then again, im no expert :/

-kpilot
BladeScraper is online now Find More Posts by BladeScraper
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:07 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Rimfire motors are in general HIGHLY overrated... run that little 250 at the max 90w or burst of 120W it WILL smoke in short order

The park 250 is a good little motor...over priced IMHO but still a good little motor. you CAN run it to rated specs... it's smooth...quiet and will 3D a 6oz plane with ease. My E-flight L-4 at about 10oz has plenty of power on the park 250

Be careful of the motor wires...they don't like being flexed or vibration. I secure them with a little shoo goo to the stator/windings and a dab of hot glue secures the 3 leads some where to the fuse/ motor box ect... just do what ever it takes to keep the wires from moving around

John
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
IMO, Rimfire motors are somewhat over-rated for power. You can generally count on about 75 watts of "safe" power consumption per ounce of motor mass. The Rimfire 250 is .71 ounces, so that works out to a bit over 50 watts.

On the other hand... I see at the Tower Hobbies website, that the Rimfire 250 is rated for 90 watts continuous. So if you can prove that it fails at something less than 90 watts, they should send you a new one, right?

Wattage is only one measure of motor performance; kV is the other major parameter. The kV, combined with the supplied voltage (eg. 11 volts for 3S) determines the range of props you can use with it. Higher kV typically goes with smaller props, and vice versa.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:16 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
I have a Rimfire 400 in my PT-19 from Electrifly and it does very well. IMHO, sized to the plane correctly, the Rimfire brand is just fine.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
Gaui X3, Nano CPX (two)
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,113 Posts
I have got a Rimfire 22M-1000. It is not on the size list, but here is a link:

http://www.aeromicro.com/catalog/gre...or_4885450.htm

I think it is about 370 size, but not sure.

I tried it on a Electrifly Pluma, and it was a bit too powerful, pulled out of a loop and wing broke off :/

With the Rimfire motors I got, I think they are GR8 motors!

Well, I have seen on e-fliterc.com the park 250 is a little, weaker? Lighter? The Rimfire motors seem to be good so far in my opinion. A little pricey, but then again, balanced out by great performance. I will try to fix my Pluma and post a video of it with the 22M-1000 and see how it is.
BladeScraper is online now Find More Posts by BladeScraper
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:01 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,232 Posts
Another vote for Rimfire specs being someone's pipedream.
The eflite 250 is merely OK but at least honest.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
I'll throw you a curve ball. The Hobby King Park 250 is a great substitute for the E Flight Park 250, and only costs $10. We have run several, and the are very similar in weight, size, and performance.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14399

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:51 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,592 Posts
I had two E-flight park 250 I was using is a 5 oz 3d foamy and it had barly enoph power to pull out of a hover. Both motores also only lasted a few months before burning up on me. I have sice discovered the Hacker A10-9L, it is cheaper than the E-flight and has a lot more power.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Jan 2005
49 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I guess the "250" is kind of a guideline, but the bottom line is experience.
sdculp is offline Find More Posts by sdculp
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5,232 Posts
In a word...Yes.
What matters is KV, weight, and output (watts/amps) and you have to be somewhat suspicious of the output specs as a lot of companies take some liberties with that info.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
In a word...Yes.
What matters is KV, weight, and output (watts/amps) and you have to be somewhat suspicious of the output specs as a lot of companies take some liberties with that info.
Actually, they list the input, and not the output.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
Cessna 25T clear for departure
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2011
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolite View Post
I'll throw you a curve ball. The Hobby King Park 250 is a great substitute for the E Flight Park 250, and only costs $10. We have run several, and the are very similar in weight, size, and performance.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14399

aerolite
I bought one of those (2050kv version) and want to use it with the supplied prop adapter. How would you recommend I do that?

I was able to remove the shaft but it won't stay in the other way around. Do I need to cut a slot for the c-clip and file a flat on the other side for lag screws?

I hope I didn't break the motor but if I did it was a cheap $10 lesson to ask questions before getting out the hammer...
justindh is offline Find More Posts by justindh
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Actually, they list the input, and not the output.
Correct.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindh View Post
I bought one of those (2050kv version) and want to use it with the supplied prop adapter. How would you recommend I do that?

I was able to remove the shaft but it won't stay in the other way around. Do I need to cut a slot for the c-clip and file a flat on the other side for lag screws?

I hope I didn't break the motor but if I did it was a cheap $10 lesson to ask questions before getting out the hammer...
I'm not familiar with which motor you are refering to. This is a park 250 substitute, and comes with a prop adapter already installed.

We are flying 5 oz depron foamies with this motor, and it has plenty of power for general flying and 3d. Hovers the planes well.

It doesn't have as much power as the Hacker A10-9L, but neither does the E-flight Park 250.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite