HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Glow to Electric Conversion Chart

Looking for the simple chart of what to get from a glow engine to and electric motor. I have seen all the ideas of take this and multiply that and divide this again.

Not what I am looking for and trying to get the short version.

Thanks for the help,
tba1971 is offline Find More Posts by tba1971
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:34 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,450 Posts
If you want it that easy then spend the money on an E-Flite motor. The names are a bit of a give-away e.g. guess what glow motor an E-Flite Power 46 is equivalent to ?

If you don't want the bother of learning a bit about electrics you'll always have to rely on choosing the make of motor first and then hoping the manufacturer/vendor probides some information because for a general glow motor size there are probably 50 or more different electric motors that would work. Way too many for a "simple chart" .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:52 PM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
many manufactures give a comparison... example would be Rimfire or OS, they both give comparisons
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:59 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
One rough "rule of thumb" is: watts = cubic inches x 2000

Thus a .10 motor = ~200W, a .40 motor = ~800W and so on.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:42 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
The problem is that there is no standard measure for electric motors. Different manufacturers do it differently. Everybody doesn't make a .46 or .60 equivalent motor. You would need a chart for every manufacturer. There is no way around learning how to match motors to models.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:13 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,188 Posts
Plus an electric motor is capable of turning a greater range of props to an IC engine, relative to how many volts are used, (number of cells).

Choose the size of prop you want to use that will give you the performance you want, (not necessarily the same one as was on the IC engine), then look for a suitable electric power system that will turn it at the sort of rpm you want.

The prop does all the work, the motor and battery combination supply the power. To fly electric needs a bit more thinking about what you want from the plane, plus there are so many electric motors out there, and more added regularly, that any sort of chart would be almost impossible to create or update.

Also check out the 'Sticky' threads near the top of this forum for some useful info on choosing a motor.

One last point, (that some will probably disagree with), if you want to genuinely fly electric, consider buying/building for electric power. Conversions do work from IC to electric, but in my opinion flying a model that was designed and built for electric power has advantages over the heavier IC models.

Here's the - Glow to Electric Conversions forum - if converting is a must.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:23 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,748 Posts
Your right about converting some of the gassers. I convered a Cap 10B, 60 size, and it was a pig in the air. I also have the Yellow aircraft 1/4 scale Cap 10B and it flies like a charm as it's built quite light far a gasser. The Easymatch series of motors at Hobby King is a good reference for conversions, even if you don't use their motors. They show 3 different G60 motors depending on the KV, where they show the plane weight, recomended props,ESCs, batts. etc. Low KV for big slow turning props for 3D stuff and gliders. Midrange for warbirds, sportplanes, etc. and high KV for pylon, flying wings, and high speed stuff.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:58 AM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
I was going too mention that its not that simple as just a simple chart. Research is needed to get the correct motor from one manufacture to another. Just keep asking questions an these guys here will guid you an help you understand how electric motors are chosen per aircraft. They helped me ( thanks kiwi)
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. I pretty much got the reply's I thought I would but was just hoping for a magical simple answer. I do know that an electric plane is much lighter and converting one is a weight issue sometimes. Again, thank you everyone.

Angel
tba1971 is offline Find More Posts by tba1971
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:29 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
One advantage of electric motors is their ability to swing very large propellers, sometimes with the aid of a gearbox. A larger propeller can result in efficiency gains, especially on slower models; however, there's often a performance penalty.

My advice is to find the static thrust and pitch speed required, and then find an electric motor that can efficiently match or exceed both requirements. Some high-quality manufacturers (Microdan, Hacker, etc.) might be able to make a suggestion if you send them an E-mail.

It's also worth noting that choosing the correct motor can make a big difference. There's a lot of potential for optimization - a really good brushless motor optimized for your setup will not only be 25% more powerful, but it'll make that extra 25% more power using the same amount of electricity.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Last edited by Cheesehead; Jan 01, 2012 at 03:34 AM.