New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by burkefj
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,523 Posts
Discussion
InteR-Ceptor Upscale

I still wanted to see if I could build a tail boosted glider that could work without balast shifting and use the G-12 32mm motor. I decided the best platform an upscale of my InteR-Ceptor. The original RC/RG I built was 42" long and used an E-6 and weighed 9 oz rtf. I decided to just go with a single ply top view, except doubling it at the rear for the motor mount, and adding a kline-fogelman(KF) step on the wing bottom to help stiffen it, hide the spar, and generate a bit more lift. I used double ply 6mm for the fuse, however it is only 4" accross so about half of the x-15.

WS is 34" and length is around 75"

Here is how it looks so far.

Update 12/28 Completed the build, with all electronics and a bit of ballast installed it is at 17 oz. Battery will be 1.5 ounces and motor 4.4

Update 12/29, finished the markings and CG. AUW is 23 ounces with motor and battery. Did most of the markings with sharpie for panel lines, stars and bars from sig, vinyl letters from coverite, and the rest is trim monokote cut to fit. I decided to put some fake gear doors and flaps etc and some gun ports. I had some random military plane placards from an old trim sheet I had, so I used those.

Update 1/07/2012 Got in a perfect test flight on a G-12, really docile on boost and trivial to land, just a little wing wobble when too slow, but no stall.

Launch video at:

Scratch built six foot tall Interceptor Rocket boosted RC glider (1 min 32 sec)

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
Last edited by burkefj; Apr 07, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,847 Posts
Someone's an old school Estes fan!!! Great job!!
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Apr 07, 2015, 10:27 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,523 Posts
A year ago I had a bad G-12 reload that caused the case to fail and destroyed the model. I just finished building a new one. On this one I used full doubling on the wing and fuse and rear tail surfaces. This makes it a bit stiffer. I moved the servos back toward the tail and went with shorter stiffer control pushrods. I also installed a 29mm motor mount with the plan to use the new 120 casing G-25 reload. This is a good motor, not expensive and uses the standard 120 casing. It normally is good for a model about 35 ounces, and this is trending toward 32 ounces, so I may add some balast for the first flights to make sure the speed isn't too fast to induce any flex or flutter.

It basically follows the plan for the smaller model, just multiplied by 1.71X, kinko's did the enlargement for me. I had to figure out how to lay it out on the depron in the most economical way and still have overlaps for the joints so that there weren't any strength issues. I did need to widen the slots for the wider thickness. Other than that it's pretty much just a larger version of the same thing, same structure with a 3/16" spar/pivot rod.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 10:31 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,523 Posts
Here's some flight pictures of the original
Old Apr 07, 2015, 11:36 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,523 Posts
Here are some shots of the new version. I'm waiting for the stars/bars/usaf/and cockpit from Stickershock23, and need to put a motor retainer and the vertical stab antennae, then do the final balancing. I used some leftover vinyl from a Redstone missile I built, and some trim monokote for the yellow stripes.
Last edited by burkefj; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:30 PM.