HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:09 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Discussion
Interceptor F/G

I still wanted to see if I could build a tail boosted glider that could work without balast shifting and use the G-12 32mm motor. I decided the best platform an upscale of the Estes Interceptor. The original RC/RG I built was 42" long and used an E-6 and weighed 9 oz rtf. I decided to just go with a single ply top view, except doubling it at the rear for the motor mount, and adding a kline-fogelman(KF) step on the wing bottom to help stiffen it, hide the spar, and generate a bit more lift. I used double ply 6mm for the fuse, however it is only 4" accross so about half of the x-15.

WS is 34" and length is around 75"

Here is how it looks so far.

Update 12/28 Completed the build, with all electronics and a bit of ballast installed it is at 17 oz. Battery will be 1.5 ounces and motor 4.4

Update 12/29, finished the markings and CG. AUW is 23 ounces with motor and battery. Did most of the markings with sharpie for panel lines, stars and bars from sig, vinyl letters from coverite, and the rest is trim monokote cut to fit. I decided to put some fake gear doors and flaps etc and some gun ports. I had some random military plane placards from an old trim sheet I had, so I used those.

Update 1/07/2012 Got in a perfect test flight on a G-12, really docile on boost and trivial to land, just a little wing wobble when too slow, but no stall.

Launch video at:

Scratch built six foot tall Interceptor Rocket boosted RC glider (1 min 32 sec)

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Someone's an old school Estes fan!!! Great job!!
southernmd_man is online now Find More Posts by southernmd_man