Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:06 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Mini-Review
Blade mCX/mSR/mSR X/mCP X Training Gear--Better to make your own

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Indeed did recieve an mSR for Christmas (second heli, after Scout CX--Yippee!) and after flying it a little, I remain a huge Blade fan!

That said, I had responded to my preminition about receiving the mSR by buying Blade's training gear the week before Christmas, and I was not impressed when I went to use it.

For me, the rods were hard to insert (One never really seemed to seat.), and the bracket broke pretty quickly in use, just because it was so fiddly that my fingers eventually broke it.

the little white balls were really fragile and easily knocked off while struggling to get the rods to seat in the center bracket, or easily swiped off in a crash.

Consider this alternative:

After giving up on the Blade training gear, I took a couple of 12" scraps of 1 mm carbon pushrod, tied them together in the center with a scrap of Kevlar thread (Dental floss would probably work.), put a drop of thin CA on the thread and worked the joint while it cured, so it remained flexible. Lastly, I slid tiny O-rings on each rod (a-la the Blade training gear), cut little 1 cm cubes of EPP closed cell foam, poked the pushrods into the cubes and secured them with foam-safe CA.

I installed that per the Blade product, with the O-rings on the skid ends, and it works fantastic. I can bump walls and furniture with no blade strikes (since these training gear are a little longer than stock).

The Blade training gear was only 4 bucks, so I guess I got what I paid for. I just don't understand why Blade didn't make theirs with two one-piece rods, instead of 4 rods with the silly center bracket.

Just my two cents.
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:32 AM
Slovenia, EU
Joined Dec 2006
67 Posts
Could you upload any photos ?
dreja is offline Find More Posts by dreja
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Can't do it from the iPhone, but I have the pics and will upload when able.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctrudeau View Post
Pics, as promised
Thats silly the training gear is far two big for that model you really don't need the length of the arms on the training gear nearly twice the length of the blades - training gear will only protect if the model is crashing at a angle of 45 deg or less when in a slide.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:58 PM
United States, MO, St Peters
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Yah, training gear is intended to prevent flips and rolls, not prevent blade bumps. The idea is to use as little weight as possible if you attach gear. Good mock up though.
sirs69 is offline Find More Posts by sirs69
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:02 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Weighs no more than the stock training gear. Blade bumps prevented for free.

The point of the thread, anyway, is that two unbroken rods is much less hassle than four shorter rods with a fiddly, fragile plastic center bracket.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:15 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Marc and all,
Cotton thread will work just as well as kevlar, maybe better, as is absorbs the CA. You shouldn't be needing them for any length of time, unless you're as slow as me.

regards and happy flights,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Thanks Marc,

I debated whether or not to get the training gear when I got my mSR. My LHS assured me that I would not need it. (In hindsight, I can see where using the training gear would affect his sales of parts.)

If I had the training gear, I imagine I might have broken fewer parts.

I certainly will cobble up something like this if/when I move up to a CP. I just gotta figger out where to get the EPP closed cell foam.

Regards,

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline Find More Posts by Nomad57
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:10 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
EPP is common in laptop packaging. Styrofoam would also work.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:41 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
they ain't glam...but, a piece of packing peanut will do. And none of us have any of those floating around
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca