HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Nine Eagles Solo Pro or GW Xieda 9958?
Nine Eagles Solo Pro 6 75.00%
Great Wall Xieda 9958 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
FPV Noob
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2008
228 Posts
Discussion
Nine Eagles Solo Pro or GW Xieda 9958?

I'm in the market for a micro heli to fly indoors during the winter. I'm a pretty decent fixed wing pilot and have flown a few coaxial helis without a problem. I don't have a real desire to progress any further with helis than fixed pitch,and as a result would like to keep the cost down for this purchase (under $100). I originally wanted a Blade MSR (and the nice 4 port charge it came with), but since they are no longer in production (and I don't really want the expensive flybarless version) I'm expanding my horizons. After ALOT of reading here on RCG, I've narrowed it down to the Nine Eagles Solo Pro or the Great Wall Xieda 9958. Here are a few observations:

Solo Pro:
-Availability of parts and upgrades is plentiful
-Decent stock transmitter (from what I have read)
-Seems to have a strong following and knowledge base
-Battery availability could be problematic, charging with a "real" charger possible?
-Only works with NE tx

Xieda 9958:
-can be bound to a programmable Tx (Turnigy 9), though I'd rather be able to use my DX7 (not possible, I know)
-cheaper than the Solo Pro (although only by $10)
-can use Eflite style batteries without mods (availablity is nice)
-no "upgrade" parts available
-limited parts availability

Which one should I get? I can't decide.
Sailor Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Sailor Jerry
Last edited by Sailor Jerry; Dec 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:33 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
I would add the V911 on that list; it is compatible with Turnigy radios as well. I have seen the Xieda sold as low as $32.2 and the V911 for $38.6 in Hong Kong recently. It seems that the Solo Pro and Walkera models have been edged out.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:00 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,331 Posts
Hi,
but if you do already own the DX7, I would highly recommend to buy the mSR...

Anyway, the Solo Pro is the by far better heli than the Xieda.
You wont be happy with the Xieda because of its weak blades and rotor system.
(I bought 2 Xieda and sold them after some batteries; I also have/had several Nine Eagles Solo Pro and Bravo SX - 10+ - and love(d) them).

Walter
Donaldsneffe is online now Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:03 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
I own both and I think the xieda is a piece of junk compared to the solo pro. Even bound to a nice tx I'm not sure my opinion would improve much of the xieda. The solo pro on the other hand is one of my favorites. Only heli I like more is my genius cp...but I fly the solo pro more because it is safer in the living room.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Feb 2008
125 Posts
The V911 is a clone of the Solo Pro and even more inexpensive. It is relatively new on the market; I first saw postings on here in Novemember. So far, members that have flown it and compared it to others have mostly given it the thumbs up. It is still up and coming as far as building a track record and a following but it looks promising. I have decided to give it a try as my first 4 ch helo.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1548027
adjangs is offline Find More Posts by adjangs
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,136 Posts
The Xieda needs some modding to unlock it's potential, while the Solo Pro, and it's most recent clone (it also features some Trex 100 parts), the V911 fly better right from the box. The Solo Pro still has some edge on these recent new helis though, all electrical parts have plugs, so no need for soldering when replacing a tail motor for instance. On the cheaper helis you will need you soldering iron for that.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:42 PM
FPV Noob
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2008
228 Posts
Looks like the Solo Pro is the way to go. Any other options I've overlooked?
Sailor Jerry is offline Find More Posts by Sailor Jerry
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:26 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,489 Posts
the WLtoys V911 cheaper and most parts of the solo pro are compatible with it. can also be bound to turnigy tx.
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona