HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Discussion
F106 4ch inexpensive coaxial

OK, I have one of these on order from xheli but I"m wondering how it achieves moving left/right. I see the blade on the tail like the 3ch coaxials.

HeliPal.com - F1-Series F106 Micro Helicopter Test Flight 01 (3 min 12 sec)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:05 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
I saw that at Xheli also, but glad I ordered one of these instead for even cheaper than that one, but this one from banggood.com is an actual 2.4Ghz RF controlled coaxial, unlike, the F106 which is still IR

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Hc...9-p-37273.html
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:36 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
It's ok if it's a little more for me if I don't wait for the China shipping (I do like free shipping though)
I'll be curious to see it works. If the IR is as good as my syma's I don't think it will be a problem indoors where I'd be flying it.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:49 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
It's ok if it's a little more for me if I don't wait for the China shipping (I do like free shipping though)
I'll be curious to see it works. If the IR is as good as my syma's I don't think it will be a problem indoors where I'd be flying it.

BTW, shipping from Banggood.com was blazing fast, it took only 7 days and that was during this holiday season. ordered on 12/16 received on 12/23.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
OK, I have one of these on order from xheli but I"m wondering how it achieves moving left/right. I see the blade on the tail like the 3ch coaxials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbfqpQuDdJ8
It has a servo and swashplate on the main rotor which tilts it left and right like a regular 4-channel heli. The forward/reverse is accomplished by the tail rotor, just like in a 3-channel. And of course the yaw rotation is accomplished with the counter-rotating blades just like a 3-channel.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:10 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overedline View Post
It has a servo and swashplate on the main rotor which tilts it left and right like a regular 4-channel heli. The forward/reverse is accomplished by the tail rotor, just like in a 3-channel. And of course the yaw rotation is accomplished with the counter-rotating blades just like a 3-channel.
From those videos the F106 actually seems to fly pretty well and I almost purchased one a few months ago just to try it. I was very curious about that swash arrangement but concerned about parts availability, although I suppose I could have bought two.

The left/right or 'side fly' are actuated by a sliding 'swash plate', which somewhat tilts the mast, rather than a traditional swashplate and servo connecting arms, which tilts the blades. It is a rather ingenious and less expensive, albeit less responsive, way to add aileron movement to an otherwise 3 channel heli.

I would be very interested in your impression of how well this works and the durability, etc.

On another note - this is a description for the F106 listed several months ago on ebay, when I was considering one:

4 channel function of remote control plane high strength of the metal materials, combining simulation plane design, make the machine has strong resistance to cast ability!
(handedness intersectorial steering and switching) initiative of left right side fly operation lever conversion functions, multi-function operating mode lets you control easier and more simple handcuffed! Can easily control the forward and backward to turn left, left and right sides, flying, drift, hovering and fixed-point landing!

a new function of automatic cruise function, can be only control throttle ornamental cool route!
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:28 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
ahh, so tilting the mast affects the center of gravity thus making it slide to the side. Interesting.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Well, it came in from Xheli.
comes with some spare main and tail blades as well as the USB charging cable.

The thing I really like it it has the tail in the left hand. That helps new pilots get used to controlling a 4ch the way it's going to be with a FP or CP heli. The side to side motion is not as good as say a blade mcx2 but it's better than not having it like the S107. So if the heli is a stepping stone to a bigger 4ch, I like the F106 for that reason. I'll take pics and/or video soon after a few flights.

BTW, I used a coupon code for it
Xheli coupon code
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Picture in post #6 makes it clear there is no servo or anything like one. That's your basic slapper swash. This is a another Frankenstein's creation like the "Drift King."

Lots of cheap 4Ch out there to spend money on. If it works for you than great of course.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
It isn't about the CG as much as it is changing the plane of the lower rotor's "disc" it cuts through the air.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:58 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
It isn't about the CG as much as it is changing the plane of the lower rotor's "disc" it cuts through the air.
Right, now that I see it, it's like a cheap swashplate on the lower rotor. It's offset 45 degrees but pretty much a swashplate.

I flew it some more and need some video. It flies sidways faster than forwards/backwards. You can do as good of a funnel as one could with a coaxial with this thing.

It is growing on me.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
something's not working right....

Hello all,

Recently picked up this guy as a first 4 ch....it was fun for most of the first day, but something has gone awry. It doesn't respond to right aileron input now. Left seems ok, but as soon as I input right aileron it kind of wobbles and starts to fall. Sometimes it will just act just the same as a left aileron input, lol.

I've looked at the little servo gear/linkage that adjusts the tilt of the lower rotor while not smooth, it seems that it's operating in both directions. It must not be under actual flight conditions is all I can figure.

But, hey, I'm just a noob so I've most likely missed something hence the reason for this post. Any help is appreciated.
pendo is offline Find More Posts by pendo