HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:43 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
Help!
Blade 450 3D as Christmas Present.

My loving wife bought me a blade 450 3d RTF with the Dx6i for Christmas...
She bought it from the LHS where I've always shopped as she had witnessed me drooling over it before...
I've been flying helis for 1 year.
It started with the cpx, then the cx2(which has undergone a facelift with upgraded parts) then the 120sr.
I've mastered all of them, and the 120sr being the most advanced, I can fly it indoors in a 4'x4' space and outside at full tilt and can go through 3 batteries in the wind without a crash or a hard landing.
I'm getting familiar with the radio, I've binded all the other heli's to it, but im still apprehensive about spinning up the 450.
Any tips on what I should do first? I plan on inspecting the beast this week and make sure all is right according to the manual and verify the controls are set properly on the radio.
Should I consider a simulator?
fraggin is offline Find More Posts by fraggin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,185 Posts
Hey, congrats!

A training gear is a nice idea for the first hovers...
To drill in inverted flight orientations, a sim would be the cheapest option
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:53 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
Thanks... I was extremely suprised.

For now, I'm just looking to hover, recover, recharge and repeat. LOL.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:19 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
To get used to the controls a bit you can do radds, keep in mind that the 450 will respond to input much faster than your previous helis so I'd suggest some expo on the cyclic.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
USA, CA, Ahwahnee
Joined Sep 2004
428 Posts
Congrats! Thats quite a gift!
powerstroke01 is offline Find More Posts by powerstroke01
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:41 PM
Spring, TX
Joined Jun 2006
263 Posts
I spent some time with the 450 this weekend, I checked everything over, confirmed the controls and started off with spinning it up and getting used to it. Definitley a game changer.
So far I've only gotten a feel for the input, which is a whole heap more sensetive than what I'm used to. Also, controlling blade pitch is something that will take some time as well. I went through three batteries just keeping it light on the skids and keeping the tail at 6 o'clock. After seeing how tipsy it gets when in flight mode, I'm thinking I will probably try training gear until I get used to it.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2011
162 Posts
I started my CP helis with a blade 450. Training gear will be great for hovering practice. Practice hovering in all orientations. Tail in, nose in, and side in. You can try tilting it to 45 degrees before trying a full 90 degree side in. I found that once I progressed from hovering to forward flight, I did not like the training gear. It threw the weight off just enough to make it not easy. Once I progressed to forward flight I removed the training gear. In all honesty once you progress to forward flight, the training gear is not really going to save you in a crash. Another indicator that you can remove the training gear is once you can repeatedly land the heli without any movement other than straight down.
lawguy14 is offline Find More Posts by lawguy14