Question
Question for Spektrum DX8/HF GPS owners

Can you set your TX up to get all the below settings:

Two position switch for AL
Two position switch for AH
Three position switch for PH/RTH
Knob for tilt adjustment

AND set throttle a throttle curve?

On my Walkera 2801 it won't let me set the channels up how HF recommend, not so much of an issue, I just swap around channels. The tilt is on a 'trim' style switch which makes it incremented and not a smooth motion so I can't use it while filming. But most annoyingly is that I can't set a throttle curve at the same time and all the above switches. I ether use plane mode with all the switch options or heli mode with a throttle curve and chose to lose one of the switches. It's not fully adjustable.

I was looking to get a DX8 to replace the 2801 but want to check that I can do what I want first. I do want a Spektrum as it will work with my indoor helis too.

Thanks
Wayno Complaino is online now Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:06 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
Can you set your TX up to get all the below settings:

Two position switch for AL
Two position switch for AH
Three position switch for PH/RTH
Knob for tilt adjustment

AND set throttle a throttle curve?

On my Walkera 2801 it won't let me set the channels up how HF recommend, not so much of an issue, I just swap around channels. The tilt is on a 'trim' style switch which makes it incremented and not a smooth motion so I can't use it while filming. But most annoyingly is that I can't set a throttle curve at the same time and all the above switches. I ether use plane mode with all the switch options or heli mode with a throttle curve and chose to lose one of the switches. It's not fully adjustable.

I was looking to get a DX8 to replace the 2801 but want to check that I can do what I want first. I do want a Spektrum as it will work with my indoor helis too.

Thanks
I have a Dx8 that I use with my Hoverfly Pro and GPS. I use a 2 pos switch for the auto level, a 3 position switch where the middle position and first position are off and the 3rd position is altitude hold. I use the control knob for my tilt setting of my camera mount and a 3 position switch for the GPS functions. Although I'm not sure I have the GPS switch setup correctly.

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:15 AM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,679 Posts
So can you adjust your throttle curve with the switches like this?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
So can you adjust your throttle curve with the switches like this?
I'm in Airplane mode so the throttle curve is disabled. Not sure if you can override that or not. Haven't really tried, sorry.

Paul
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:22 PM
Air Traffic Controller
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2011
250 Posts
I know you're leaning towards a DX8 but for a complete newbie like me, I was able to program the Futaba 8fg Super just as you asked. I have the AL and AH switches programmed on a 3-way, each over their appropriate control with down 'Normal' and middle/up on. I have expo programmed in Aileron/elevator in one switch position and third position adds the yaw. I have a throttle curve programmed to a 3-way as well. I knew absolutely nothing coming in to this adventure and I'm not sure I'd still be flying without being able to adjust all this. The 8fg super was $50 US more than the DX8.
Webheadfred is offline Find More Posts by Webheadfred
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,679 Posts
I'm open to other suggestions but the Spektrum will bind with my blade micro helis. I like the idea of the telemetry and also the satellite receivers too.

So in heli mode I assume you can set a throttle curve to have a 'flatter' spot around the hover point to make it far easier to keep steady altitude (without using AL). This is what I do on my 2801 on all of my multi rotors anyway.

So in heli mode can all the switches be set up like HF recommend? This is what I can't do on my 2801.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:39 AM
Joined Jul 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
So in heli mode I assume you can set a throttle curve to have a 'flatter' spot around the hover point to make it far easier to keep steady altitude (without using AL). This is what I do on my 2801 on all of my multi rotors anyway.

So in heli mode can all the switches be set up like HF recommend? This is what I can't do on my 2801.
I'm in a similar situation, but in my case is what radio to buy for a HFP. I'm really inclined to DX8 but I want to know the answers for the questions above.
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:02 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,679 Posts
I've downloaded the manual but it's still not clear.

I'm sure there are many of you out there using a HFP and DX8, it would be really appreciated if someone could try out the above.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:24 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
If I recall, heli mode is discouraged because of the mixing that the radio does conflicts with the mixing the flight controller handles itself. Not to say that you probably couldn't disable the mixing or use one of the basic gyro modes but I'm afraid I'm not adventurous or knowledgable enough to try it out, sorry.

Seems like there is a way to enable the throttle curve in airplane mode, I might look into that.

Paul
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,679 Posts
Any help is really appreciated! Thanks.

I'm close to pressing the buy button but it would be almost pointless if I can't achieve what I want.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:58 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
I don't have a dx8 but I'm pretty sure that i read that the latest firmware does support throttle curves in ACRO mode.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:50 AM
Air Traffic Controller
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2011
250 Posts
I'm gonna throw in another thought before you buy. The the Futaba 8FG has a servo page so you can visually check the mixes before you put the quad up. It saved me a couple of times doing something dumb before finding out the hard way. I really wanted to go with the DX8 but I wanted less to crash the quad.
Webheadfred is offline Find More Posts by Webheadfred
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,679 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys!

I've found a DX8 on eBay for a reasonable price with all the bits and a case. Fingers crossed thy Acro mode does indeed support throttle curves.

Good deal coming up on a Walkera 2801 with lots of extras.... :-D
Old Jan 01, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,679 Posts
Conformation!

I'd looked in the manual enough times but didn't see this page I swear.

All good!