HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
New Product
NEW 1/8 WWII German Fighter Pilot

Was just putting the idea out there if any one was interested in a pilot at this size for the FMS/Airfield planes that are out there or are going to be released. I know people would love to get rid of goofy. Will try to do this pilot with arms but its always tough to get a hollow cast for me that is not simple. Also do people like the pilots with goggles on the cap or would people prefer them on the face. Also the mask will come separate like the others that I have done.

Also if anyone has any good pics please post away!

Cheers,
Matt
MPS86 is offline Find More Posts by MPS86
Last edited by MPS86; Jan 08, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:22 PM
USA, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Nov 2010
1,304 Posts
Matt I know it is more work but could you make the goggle separate
so those of us who are not good at painting faces can cover the face with both mask & goggles?

If No I vote goggles on the cap.
BTW I just order BOB
Thanks
inspector5419 is offline Find More Posts by inspector5419
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:09 AM
Tank Girl
Western Washington
Joined Sep 2008
175 Posts
Great job on your other offerings so far! I'm excited you'll be doing these. One thing though: the 1400 mm ws actually work out closer to 1/7 scale for these german planes, especially for the ME-109, so do you think you could make the pilots in that bigger scale? The FW-190 and ME109 were very small fighters, much smaller than their American/British counterparts, so it was a really tight squeeze for pilots into their cockpits. You can see in some wartime pics how big they sit in the canopy, sometimes just a head is visible for the 109! I think a 1/8 scale pilot might look too small.

Keep up the good work!
tankgirlfuzzy is offline Find More Posts by tankgirlfuzzy
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:33 AM
USA, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Nov 2010
1,304 Posts
Matt
Any update on the german Pilots?
inspector5419 is offline Find More Posts by inspector5419
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Will be starting him this week I hope. He will be 1/8, IMO he will be able to fit into the FMS planes with no problem. On the navy pilot I was able to buy a replacement part for the corsair to get the pilot to look right. Since the plane is not out yet its tough to do, but i think it will still be large enough to go into the 190, and the 109 and also be a good size for the stuka that is currently out.

Also thought about the goggles and I am just going to keep them as they are. Just easier for casting and molding purposes. He will also be waste up but no hands, also for casting purposes, It would cost more to cast something this size solid and also would add a lot of weight. I try to keep them around 1oz.

Cheer and thanks for the input!,
Matt
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,455 Posts
Hey Foamie, not being familiar with the process, is there anything that can be done to cut down on the finished weight ??

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Woody,
The weight on the RAF pilot was a little heavier than I wanted. I tried hollow casting him and he came out like crap. The molds I have are vented so there are no big air bubbles in the cast. I know pete's pilots have a thin layer and are filled with some sort of foam I believe, not sure to be exact. I have never tried casting any other pilots besides mine so I have not experimented much. J Morgan has good luck he puts the casting material in and rolls it around and pours the excess out. Takes quite a bit of time.

I have gotten the 1/8 navy pilot to weigh in just over an oz. I am happy with that. I will try to take some pictures tonight to put some sense if anyone is confused,

Matt
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:04 PM
Tank Girl
Western Washington
Joined Sep 2008
175 Posts
Sounds good. If the pilot sits in the 109 and 190 more or less like the way the men in these photos do, I for one don't care what nominal scale you choose, especially if you get the later style LKp N101 helmet right. One thing that's always kept me from buying the aces of iron pilot is the modeling of the early war leather helmet (LKp W100), which is perfect for a BoB or earlier pilot but was not as popular with pilots after 1941.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited by tankgirlfuzzy; Jan 02, 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,455 Posts
Here's alittle of what I 've done to the RAF figure. The upper torso is compressed some due to the space available in the model but I think the overall effect will work. Hogged out the figure to reduce weight. Stock
figure = 1 3/8 ozs. Finished figure comes in at 1oz. Painting will be later.

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Jan 03, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Woody looks awesome! I also hogged out mine was very easy to do. Just took a drill and drilled out the center then took my dremel to it and cut some of the weight out.

Tank,
are these the correct goggles?
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:31 PM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamie4life View Post
Woody looks awesome! I also hogged out mine was very easy to do. Just took a drill and drilled out the center then took my dremel to it and cut some of the weight out.

Tank,
are these the correct goggles?
No, not for a fighter pilot. They where most commonly used by bomber crew. Fighter pilots most oftenused a helmet called a netzkopfhaube Lkp N101. The googles used primarly by fighter pilots are Nitsche & GŁnter googles. se pics below.

Cheers,
Terje
SAPSPIT is online now Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
276 Posts
Terje,
Awesome, thanks for those pictures will help a lot. Here is a question I have had trouble finding an answer too. Did the fighter pilots still where a mae west after the BOB? I was going to include one with this pilot but was not sure if it was accurate.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:01 PM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
894 Posts
As long as they were flying ower water, they used their Schwimmwest. Most German fighter pilots flying out of France, the Netherlands, Italy, Norway and other Europe countries with a close connection to the sea, they would use the German Mae West also post BOB.

Terje
SAPSPIT is online now Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:40 AM
Tank Girl
Western Washington
Joined Sep 2008
175 Posts
Sapspit is right, the smaller N&G goggles were favored by fighter pilots. You could even get away with no goggles at all, as there are many, many pics of pilots sitting in their cockpits (in air and during prep) with no goggles on their helmets. But it probably looks cooler with it on.

As far as the Schwimmwest, even over Russia some pilots would wear them, while others opted not to, so you probably won't go wrong if you include it.

If you really want to be accurate, you'd have to make a specific pilot bust for each plane, since the parachutes were different for the two planes (because of the different seat configurations)! Pilots for the 190 wore a backpack style one, while the 109 required the seat cushion style. But that would probably be going too far... The latter style is probably more familiar to people and would look great at this scale in both planes.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:37 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,050 Posts
Hey Matt I agree on the 1/7 scale thing. I have the old 109 E and goofy is too small in it surprisingly.

The pilot you sent is a perfect fit in the FMS SPitfire however if you trim his shoulders a bit or trim the cockpit edge a bit which is what I plane to do.

Thanks again,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe