HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:53 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
BECs are $7 - $8. Not worth moving those around. RX with a proper serial connector cause they're $100+.
exactly max, don't do it if u can spend the extra cash on a bec $7-25. But it works.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,649 Posts
Quote:
BECs are $7 - $8. Not worth moving those around. RX with a proper serial connector cause they're $100+.

In a conversation with vendors on becs in parallel, they commented that its common practice to parallel internal becs. They also have this high unexplained ESC failures. We sent several links and manufacturers comments why this should never be done.
I'll leave it at that. The commentary is all over RCG.
What BEC are you using that only cost $7-$8? I use cc 10a mostly and they run $23-$25.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:25 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
What BEC are you using that only cost $7-$8? I use cc 10a mostly and they run $23-$25.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...R_2F_UBEC.html

Nothing against CC... after all they made this bec when becs were far and few in between. But now there are many perfectly fine Becs that hook up direct to even 10S.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Jul 2006
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
rain and wind...u on the west coast, right? Darn rain finally came and ruined my days. in looking at the stock pnp esc now & i c a red wire going into both esc's if both esc's have bec, not good. But I'm running a separate bec sooooo... I don't know.
Yeah, west coast, high desert Cali. I'm not sure about what goes into both ESC's, even with the heatshrink off I doubt I could tell.

I don't want to lose her to a simple wire that I can pull out of the plug, but I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done if anything. The guys at the field sound like they hear a lot and have some experience, and said "sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't".
OverDrive is offline Find More Posts by OverDrive
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
Yeah, west coast, high desert Cali. I'm not sure about what goes into both ESC's, even with the heatshrink off I doubt I could tell.

I don't want to lose her to a simple wire that I can pull out of the plug, but I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done if anything. The guys at the field sound like they hear a lot and have some experience, and said "sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't".
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html#

Note pull the red wire
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:02 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,418 Posts
Mine showed up today, huge huge plane. I got the camo scheme, looks much better in person. Hopefully it's ready to fly for Sunday.

-A
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:17 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Quote:
max, but he's not running a separate bec, so shouldn't 1 be cut? If he's running a separate bec cut the red from both. Since I'm assuming its a pnp, factory should've set it up correctly...?

Overdrive,

Like I said I run a separate bec. So if you wanna be safe do the same. not trying to cause confusion.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:44 AM
Joined Jul 2006
10 Posts
Yeah, it's a PNP. Two ESC's dunno about how many BEC are in that. 3 wires from both to the receiver plug it looks like, not in the garage to double check though. Both have red/black/orange though. And no problem mate, the help's appreciated :P
OverDrive is offline Find More Posts by OverDrive
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:06 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
max, but he's not running a separate bec, so shouldn't 1 be cut? If he's running a separate bec cut the red from both. Since I'm assuming its a pnp, factory should've set it up correctly...?

Overdrive,

Like I said I run a separate bec. So if you wanna be safe do the same. not trying to cause confusion.
I posted that to show how any BEC internal or external is disconnected; pull the red.
If they are running a single internal BEC then the Amp output is concerning for the 11 servos. If they parallel them, and per vendors they did in the past, then you risk failure.
So I'm with you on running a larger External BEC and deactivate the internal BEC. One less potential point of fail at this power level.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Apr 2010
95 Posts
They are running parallel becs in the stock setup. Mine was stock.
ckankel is offline Find More Posts by ckankel
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,034 Posts
So, please,answer me one question;

Can I use BOTH ESC's BECs at the same time on the same receiver or will it become trouble?

What happens if I use two equal ESCs but only one's BEC is working?
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever View Post
So, please,answer me one question;

Can I use BOTH ESC's BECs at the same time on the same receiver or will it become trouble?

What happens if I use two equal ESCs but only one's BEC is working?
You won't have any trouble with either running both becs on both esc's on specific escs( some esc's state that you can use both with becs installed). However if you don't know if you can or can't then rather use a single bec like a castle one.

It is just a dual redundancy.

In fact most people use twin bec setups on 2x opto esc's instead of using Rx Packs.

If you have 2 esc's and 1 bec...well you won't have that redundancy.

On twin setups I usually go with a separate twin bec setup.

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,256 Posts
I'm pretty sure that two linear BEC are fine, two switching BEC can 'fight' each other and give trouble.
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:40 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
3,034 Posts
why?
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:47 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,256 Posts
With linear BEC, both connected to rx for power, only one will actually be working at any one time if I remember electronics theory correct (someone chime in if I'm wrong) - the one with fractionally the lowest impedance. If it gets hot / overloaded, the other will essentially 'kick in' and take over.
With switching BEC, they both try to work at the same time, but as they cannot be perfectly in phase they cause each other problems. Or something like that........
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC