HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Apr 2010
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
I got to maiden mine yesterday.

The Jet has a seperate CC Pro BEC & I used a HP 45c 4200mah 6s battery. Power Pole plugs. The rest is stock.
What size powerpole connectors and contacts are you using? I plugged mine in yesterday and got a spark that fried everything that I had hooked up at the time.
ckankel is offline Find More Posts by ckankel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
I have been flying planes on 6s for over 5 years they always make a big spark when you plug them in. Never fried anything yet. The way the PNP comes with 2 male connectors it would be easy to plug in with the wrong polarity. Are you sure that didn't happen?
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Sounds great Antaeus.
I'm knee deep in snow and we even had unexpected white out today. I'll have to wait a bit to take mine to the skies so I'm happy to hear all your details. Sounds like you take the same land approach especially with the Euro.

Ballooning I explained my take on it but won't know how much I can dial it out till I try it or someone setups their model the way I described. Its a high lift foil but the ballooning as you throttle off is a symptom.

Fred what does the retract do as it transitions? That could be the sequencer but what is it or isn't it doing?

I forgot who posted it that they changed their travel range to get the retract to work. That very much sounds like the shut off button on either end are not working. At either end of the board are stop buttons that the transition block presses against and stops the sequence.
If they are not engaging then the cutout overload circuit takes over and shuts off the sequence.
Setting by the TX travel works for a time till you have a voltage fluctuation that pushes the usec point down the Tri connector and one gear doesn't sequence and then resets. I'd order some replacements from HK for $7 and swap out the boards at least. PW-RC actually sells the guts for these as well. Better to do that now rather than have it have to come down on it belly or worse on just two legs.

So the paint colours look about right. I'll check it over once I see the sun again.
I posted the setup for travel range,

change EPA on radio to 120 down, 60 up. It should helop allot
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,648 Posts
There was a guy back on page 55 I believe that said he got a spark and fried his ecs's as well. Very strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
I have been flying planes on 6s for over 5 years they always make a big spark when you plug them in. Never fried anything yet. The way the PNP comes with 2 male connectors it would be easy to plug in with the wrong polarity. Are you sure that didn't happen?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Last edited by DamonH; Jan 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
I got to maiden mine yesterday.

The Jet has a seperate CC Pro BEC & I used a HP 45c 4200mah 6s battery. Power Pole plugs. The rest is stock.

A bit disapointed in the flight time with the 4200mah battery. The actual power on was only 3:34 seconds & the battery only had 6% left. Most of the flight was at half throttle. I get a solid 4 minutes with my Freewing F-18 useing the same battery. Guess I'll be using my Voltz 4500 untill I can get a couple of 5000mah batteries.

Sorry for the vid. The vid is not that long. Had to edit a bunch of sky only vid out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRbK...kv-HKlMBnLjxVI
the flight time is expected in this case. a single 90mm fan is more effienct than 2x70mm. with 2x70m your pulling more power out of the battery.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
Thanks for the specs V8. Will do some more research.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
I think the ones who fried thier system pluged them in backwards. I've only been flying 6s for little over a year and they ALWAYS spark. granted i've fried ESC's but only after i gave it some throttle. never the whole thing when you plug in. So either it was over voltage ( 7-8 cells vs 6 ) or they plugged them in backwards.

Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
I once got a JST to plug in the wrong way and got smoke from the esc right away.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Apr 2010
95 Posts
I don't think that's it. The powerpoles dovetail together side by side to create a single connector on the battery and device side. As long as you have them set up correctly (and I did) it is impossible to connect them backwards. I connected the battery successfully a couple of times before it fried everything.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
I have heard of the spark causing damage to electronics. My Tams F16 is on 10s and it has a spring thingy that you touch while plugging in that prevents the spark. I don't know what they are called.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
This is different but does the same thing. http://www.tamjets.com/original/popup_image.php?pID=611
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckankel View Post
What size powerpole connectors and contacts are you using? I plugged mine in yesterday and got a spark that fried everything that I had hooked up at the time.

Well that's why "I" went to Power Poles. I never get a spark like I did with Deans & 6s.

I think mine are 45a contacts & the plastic part is lower rated amp however the LHS owner said the plastic peices are all the same regardless of what the label says.

Sorry to hear you fries you elec.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
95 Posts
I got the 75a connectors and I think that may have been my problem. They are so bulky and take so much force to connect and disconnect they were repeatedly sparking and popping while I was lining them up and pushing them together.

Quote:
Well that's why "I" went to Power Poles. I never get a spark like I did with Deans & 6s.

I think mine are 45a contacts & the plastic part is lower rated amp however the LHS owner said the plastic peices are all the same regardless of what the label says.

Sorry to hear you fries you elec.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,032 Posts
LOL, I just read what I wrote. Geezz, I sware I don't talk like that

I ment to write. " I'm sorry to hear you fried your electronics".

That might have been what happened. Mine plug & unplug in real easy. Sometimes I worry it's too easy. LOL
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,673 Posts
Everything sparks under the right conditions. The more the spark the less the Resistance property and or the higher the Volts. 6S isn't usually high enough to surge and fry most things especially an ESC since it is a suppression device by design. It's unlikely but I guess anything is possible.

However, how were the BECs setup? Were they Y'd together?
If they were this is exactly what happens when switching or linear BECs are put on the same circuit. They can harmonically turn the suppression off and surge the setup. The effect is random because of the internal timing and because its on the RX circuit it can burn up servos etc.

Either way if it wasn't your BECs there is anti surge add ons. Most ESCs 8S and above come with an in-line resistor to deal with the surge.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C