SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:39 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
Well, you could do a slight modification to the servo arms, to extend their length, and you'd really be able to crank the TV's..............
I've actually done this in the past (I'm a real Butcher!!!!)

You'll need some spare servo arms that have the correct hole diameter for the pushrod, and ideally the same hole-to-hole spacing. Cut the arms off of the spares, at the pivot point.

Then line up the inner-holes of your extenders, with the outer-most holes of the TV servo arms, and use tiny self-tapping screws to attach them together. Always use TWO screws on each side for the attachment, so that the extenders remain perfectly aligned...............
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:03 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,768 Posts
My very first flight - with a 100m+ rollout on grass(!!) - effectively did a Cobra! Leapt and rotated to vertical and hasty "Holy crap... red alert!" recovery action.... and it easily reduced angle back to 45deg and just flew off. That was with the L2855-2100kv CS10's and just the 2.6Kg to 2.8Kg thrust area. (I think 2.6Kg usable really)

After such a long take off run, even though across grass, it is still moving very fast! The reason it doesn't take off 'properly' is the negative AoA static stance. But what this means is that it has a LOT of speed/energy when it does rotate! More than enough to go straight to vertical, for enough 'seconds' (dont know how many... 3? 5?) before it would run out of speed. Mine was just seconds (1, 2?) but that energy would easily allow adequate height to do the Kulbit.

So it is more about take-off speed than power to weight. Though high power to weight means it could be done from a short slower take-off too.

I'd be scared doing it at any height! LOL
About the only thing I want to be able to do is a flat spin, so one day I will look into that. I will have to go through 'vertical stalls' and 'tumbles' with the Su first. Smaller planes I don't mind doing 'whacky' things, so I mess around trying almost any thing with those, but bigger and heavier ones make me picture a BIG SPLAT if something goes wrong!! eg elevator breaks off or something fails.
Oh... which reminds me of throwing my weeny 800mm P-51 into a vertical stall and spin - tumble - and its rudder broke off!!! Bombs away.... splat. That was still annoying/devastating enough (for at least 5 minutes anyway). That has probably traumatised me.....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:10 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
No guts, No glory!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:15 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,768 Posts
But you - and your planes - live to fly another day !! LOL
Though..... I still smash them up anyway..... hmmm, sigh.
7 planes, 28 flights today.... not one incident! Best day out ever!
But Sunday..... flew a T-45 Goshawk into a park light tower! BAMM..... pieces (8?) flutter down.... (though was repaired and out today again!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:18 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Agreed..................

(BTW, it must have been really difficult to hit a park light tower...................)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:25 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,768 Posts
I hit the exact same light tower about 4 months ago and wrote off a plane.
I use them as "pylons" to fly out past and back, or between etc. Some times anyway. And just bad judgement of distance.... "I am past, come back around..... Oh, Darn I was not past it at all....."

Bigger planes I stay away, or well over them. eg The plane never 'goes into line' with a light tower! Thus cannot ever have a distance judgement issue to hit one!
So I can still come towards my self between them etc, but just never have the plane in-line or overlapping with one. Smaller planes I still buzz past/around them here and there as I don't want to fly those so high and above them all the time.

I don't fly the Su and any 1.4m or larger planes there!
Though those have trees to contend with at the other larger park area I go to.

I did finally find a school/college playing field area with a great car park alongside.... and almost never used after school hours, or weekends! But the flying area is bound by worse trees than the larger park I go to (which has no decent runway).... so whilst it gives a great runway, the flying aspect there is not much fun. Very hard to bring a larger plane down over the trees in time to land in a nice manner - though I did try landing in an 'arc' which worked ok on the Me-262, but that is a very easy plane to fly/land and with flaps for low speed well-behaved landings. (But the flying area is still impeded and not great fun). It actually looks 'nicer' - more interesting to watch - to come in on that arcing path! And I guess a bit of 'skill reward' feeling to bring it around to good alignment - but I stand on/beside the runway so that makes getting things accurate a lot easier too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:57 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Pete,

You sure do crash a lot of planes...
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Pete should Analise his planes more! Then they will fly and not crash
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
or just stare at em and tuck em into bed every night, but I'd rather crash em to that.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:41 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
or just stare at em and tuck em into bed every night, but I'd rather crash em to that.
This is what I do! so far I have not crashed!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Pete,

You sure do crash a lot of planes...
hehe...working on #5. bought as airframe only from HK unlike the previous 4 which came from BH - interestingly enough all the landing gear servos came with metal trunnions fitted for the servos. Anyways, as this will probably be my final SU of this type (this has been a REALLY expensive EDF trainer), I wanted to run my config by those of you with some more successful flight experience. So basically this is what I'm putting in the plane
2x Typhoon 1W40 motors with Wemotech minifan pro 5 blade counter rotating set
2x Castle Talon 90 ESC's
1X 6s 25c 8000mah battery.
I think my main concern is that the plane will get out of sight a lil too quickly.
xsample is offline Find More Posts by xsample
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:09 PM
Österreich, Stmk., Graz-Umgebung
Joined Sep 2011
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsample View Post
hehe...working on #5. bought as airframe only from HK unlike the previous 4 which came from BH - interestingly enough all the landing gear servos came with metal trunnions fitted for the servos. Anyways, as this will probably be my final SU of this type (this has been a REALLY expensive EDF trainer), I wanted to run my config by those of you with some more successful flight experience. So basically this is what I'm putting in the plane
2x Castle Talon 90 ESC's
I think my main concern is that the plane will get out of sight a lil too quickly.
1W40 @ 6s and WeMoTec Minifan = more than 90A !!
Thake esc´s with minimum 120A... ore your plane will be smoked a lil too quickly.

George

BTW: "Wemotech minifan pro 5 blade counter rotating set" - are you sure??
GeorgeStyriaII is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeStyriaII
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,179 Posts
Quote:
He already did that (tucked into bed)!

Btw I ordred the Firgelli 50mm (100mm also available) 6v actuator, I had the Lado in my cart but shipping was $41!! anyway they come out to the same total anyway, $100 but the Firgelli had 50mm travel, not sure the 30mm on the Lado was enough..
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsample View Post
So basically this is what I'm putting in the plane
2x Castle Talon 90 ESC's
The battery might be kind of heavy...............

Don't know what brand you're planning to use, but the Zippy 8000mah 30C weighs 1220g (almost 2.7lb). That's about a pound heavier than my GForce 5000mah 60C's...............

P.S. Do you have an extra nose gear retract mechanism that you no longer need?? (The circuit board in mine failed.)
Last edited by davemilw07; Mar 11, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:08 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemilw07 View Post
The battery might be kind of heavy...............

Don't know what brand you're planning to use, but the Zippy 8000mah 30C weighs 1220g (almost 2.7lb). That's about a pound heavier than my GForce 5000mah 60C's...............

P.S. Do you have an extra nose gear retract mechanism that you no longer need?? (The circuit board in mine failed.)
Maybe its the Nano 8000 924g, still bloody heavy, 40g heavier than my 2 x 4s 3700s.. Maybe this only aplies to 10B but I checked ERC and Mark says of the 1w40:

Note:

i) We do not recommend to use the 1W40 motor with more than 6S lipo as it may burn the motor for high amp draw
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Last edited by IntheTubeDeep; Mar 11, 2013 at 04:45 PM.