HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
i think this is a bh plane. Wargasm do you have the black motors?
I think he does n i was just gonna ask him the same to confirm his motors.

WARGASSM
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
782 Posts
PNP version delivered

Just got my PNP version today.

Only shipping problem was one of the gear doors was broken in 1/2... foam safe CA fixed it nicely

Went together very fast, now have to install the receiver and set throws... battery #1 will be here soon so I can CG it.

Anyone know what type are the stock battery connectors to the ESC and where can I get them.

I have decided to not use the Deans Ultra connectors and go with the stock to ensure they handle the amps.
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Thanks V8....sorry to make you summarize but the reason I asked is because I purchased an SU-35 from BH at the AMA show. I specifically looked to make sure the one I purchase was a "3D" version and not the standard version. It appears the difference is the standard is a 4S vs the 3D being the 6S. Is it possible those who thought they purchased the 6s actually got the standard 4S model?

I will try and pull the plane in my kit and take pics of the motor and ESC's. Box label shows this unit coming with a 2200kv motor.
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmarshall View Post

Only shipping problem was one of the gear doors was broken in 1/2... foam safe CA fixed it nicely

Went together very fast, now have to install the receiver and set throws... battery #1 will be here soon so I can CG it.

Anyone know what type are the stock battery connectors to the ESC and where can I get them.

I have decided to not use the Deans Ultra connectors and go with the stock to ensure they handle the amps.
He marshall can you confirm your motors. look back a few threads. PLS!

glad you got it together, shes addicting!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Thanks V8....sorry to make you summarize but the reason I asked is because I purchased an SU-35 from BH at the AMA show. I specifically looked to make sure the one I purchase was a "3D" version and not the standard version. It appears the difference is the standard is a 4S vs the 3D being the 6S. Is it possible those who thought they purchased the 6s actually got the standard 4S model?

I will try and pull the plane in my kit and take pics of the motor and ESC's.
No problemo just concerend that some ppl arent getting slipped a different setup than they were expecting. Especially is the motors are 4s and u stick in a 6s batt. My box also shows 2200kv motor however after Max post noting the change to 2300kv I measured my motors to confirm in fact they are the 2300kv motors and Rc castle mislabeled onsite as did freewing on the box from my vendor.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:06 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
No problemo just concerend that some ppl arent getting slipped a different setup than they were expecting. Especially is the motors are 4s and u stick in a 6s batt. My box also shows 2200kv motor however after Max post noting the change to 2300kv I measured my motors to confirm in fact they are the 2300kv motors and Rc castle mislabeled onsite as did freewing on the box from my vendor.
I have been working on a couple of other projects so I haven't gotten to the SU yet, but i will check as well. Either way, those motors and fans will probably come out in favor of something better. I will try and measure maybe tonight.

So the only difference between the 2200 and 2300kv is obviously the KV but also the length of can?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
I am not sure what the 2200kv motors look like, maybe Max knows something.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,331 Posts
MAX here ya go, Vertical! could've went vert a few more seconds, but lost orientation. im getting a lil better at the cell phone/ controller cam. LOL!

Freewing SU35 vert @ sundown.mp4 (4 min 10 sec)
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 16, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:37 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I am not sure what the 2200kv motors look like, maybe Max knows something.
Well I just looked at mine and I think we have a third color/type of motor...mine have a black tail cone and the can itself is purple.

Whats the best way to measure length? end to end of can?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,160 Posts
That's like mine, don't worry the 4s version doesn't have thrust vectoring.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmarshall View Post

Looking very good, mine's scheduled to arrive on Thursday - knock on wood!

Off-topic asid: I see you're just across the Potomac ... you belong to one of the clubs in Fairfax or Loudon?
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Well I just looked at mine and I think we have a third color/type of motor...mine have a black tail cone and the can itself is purple.

Whats the best way to measure length? end to end of can?
Pics-
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,951 Posts
Motors 2839 and 2849.

Wow Thanks V8. So in the two verticals I can't see anything but the blurry dot but it looks like it pulls flat to the belly because you didn't roll it back over to continue on? Assuming that you made no corrections as it stops gaining altitude.

Still looks like a great bird even with less than 1:1.

As for the motors. I'm just observing and gathering info. The link Merlinfan posted is for the older original 4S 2800kv motor with the tapered cone ends. This has never been on the box or posted with any of the vendors. They are not sufficient IMO. But the link is just for motors. No idea if they have anything to do with what FW or BH or others are releasing. or if this was just merlin looking for a motor.

There is a difference between the motors on the initial release on the box and the next rendition of the similar motor.
The box has 2839 2200kv. 28mm wide, 39mm long wound to 2200 rpm/v. This was the first motor weighing in at 100g.
The next motor that is to be released is the 2849 2300kv. 28mm wide 49mm long with a wind 2300 rpm/v. This motor weighs in at 110g.
No idea where exactly V8 got his because he go them from a friend and its the only picture in the field shown. The picture and spec I posted was data from Freewing on the next motor to be released but has not yet, so it doesn't happen till it happens. However, According to V8 the ones he's got were the 2849 and he felt fairly confident of this measuring the can to be 49mm.

The change of the extra 10mm has another set of magnets or just long magnets and the winding is longer pushing 100rpm more per volt.
So two very different motors because the second can can do more with very little increase in amp draw. The hope was it would be able to get closer to the 3kg thrust that they originally promised.

My guess is the 2839 was what got to print but they may be changing out the motors to 2849s discovering the 2839 is not delivering as posted on the box.
The only concern I have is if V8 does indeed have the 2849, and his model is
3.1kg, what ever he has still isn't pushing 3kg since even in the last posted vid it decelerates too quickly to be 3kg of thrust. And as V8 posted he was only getting 2.4kg from them.

And that's all I have pieced together. All speculation, till some start pulling the covers and measuring how much can is hanging out the tail of the fan that is 21mm deep for the motor mount. So if your motor sits 18mm out its a 2839/2200kv, 28mm out its a 2849/ 2300kv.

Obviously what is on the box is not the tell so we are trying to confirm where the difference are if any and where or who they are coming from.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Pics-
Quote:
- Outside Diameter : 28mm

- Total Length : 49mm

- MOTOR SHAFT DIA : 4.0mm

- No. Of Stator Arms : 12

- No. Of Magnet Poles : 8

- Weight : 110g

- Kv : 2300 rpm / V

- Working Voltage : 14.8v - 22.2v
Mine weighs 92 grams has 12 stators and 8 mags
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,951 Posts
Quote:
Pics-
If thats what they are saying is 49 it a false number. The can is the can the cylindrical section that houses the magnets and wind. The cone houses the bearing etc and is more for air stream flow. That can appears to be 30mm long.
Still if you look at how FW is classing them the old 2839-2800kv is actually a 31mm can. Looking at what is on the side of the box it will do the 2.3kg because the original 2839-2800kv 4S only did about 1.2 kg thrust. The other way to let us know we are talking on the same page is is yours for 4S or 6S?

If you look back at the picture V8 posted http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...uWP_000056.jpg
Can hanging out appears to be 28mm because visually the black section of the can forms a square and we know its 28 wide so, 28 hanging out and 21 in the mount 49mm can.

So where did this kit and motors come from?
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Jan 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM.